A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 301,506
Currently Running With Scissors:
443 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Icecream Pint Sleeve (cozy) *** now with quasi-pattern!!!***  (Read 14702 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: December 06, 2005 09:32:05 PM »

Hey I'm a newbie, to Craftster and to bulletin boards... but I have been crocheting since I was 4... Hope you enjoy this quick little project, I made this Icecream sleeve for my Ben and Jerry's with some old yarn I had around and have had lots of requests from friends...I'd be happy to share the process if interested (haven't ever written a pattern but willing to try)...

http://www.bullcube.com/IMG_1813.JPG
http://www.bullcube.com/IMG_1814.JPG
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012 03:15:03 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
GeekMagnet
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005 10:59:06 PM »

that's sweet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what is baby oil made from?
laura1121
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005 11:15:22 PM »

THAT IS SO AWESOME.  just yesterday i was eating my ben and jerrys with mittens on my ice cream-holding-hand.  this is much better! haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olenka

if i can't dance, i don't want your revolution

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005 02:11:24 AM »

That thing puts art of Ice creme eating to a nother  level Grin Grin Grin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sara_uk
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005 04:39:13 AM »

What a good Idea!!....Have you tried selling these, I think that you would have a market for them....mmmmm ben and jerrys!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rhodora
i like giants

eyes like omens i've been told and

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005 04:43:24 AM »

how freakin adorable!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rhodora Handcrafted by Sarah Jones - rhodora.etsy.com
ComputerKids.org! - HTML help, tutorials, advertising, and ideas for your site!
happythermia

On the beachside, combing the sand.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005 04:34:20 PM »

How awesome is that!? I would also love a pattern.....although I would adapt it for beer drinking haha  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
javastain

javastain

Hello MC

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2005 04:32:25 PM »

How awesome is that!? I would also love a pattern.....although I would adapt it for beer drinking haha  Grin

Ok, so before the server meltdown, someone else asked about the pattern/ design so here's a quick description about how I did it; I will do an actual pattern at some point....

The stitches in the band are a simple Catherine Wheel; which needs multiples of 10+6 stitches (like; 26, 36, 46, etc)...
SO I made a simple round for the bottom, working in all SC and I think it was about 6 rows so basically;
chain 3 and join to make a ring
Row 1: 6 single crochet into ring, join
Row 2: 2sc in each stitch, join (12)
Row 3: *1sc, 2sc in next*, do this 6 times (18)
Row 4: *2sc, 2sc in next*, do this 6 times (24)
Row 5: *3sc, 2sc in next*, do this 6 times (30)
Row 6: *4sc, 2sc in next*, do this 6 times (36) = this gives you the right number to do the catherine wheel

Row7-10 or so; sc...***I made sure it was slightly smaller than the bottom of the icecream container to fit snugly but you can decrease after the catherine wheel if it gets too big...

Row 10ish- start catherine wheel

After catherine wheel band go back to sc until it is tall enough to hit the top of the icecream container.

Create a handle with a chain that fits snugly over your hand, and sc a few rows on it, sew to top and bottom of cozie.

TIPS: At the end of the circle base (36 stitches) you can start your catherine wheel, or as I did, sc a few more rows to begin the sides (when I am making a side to something, my first row (row 7) I sc in the back loop only making a "rib" and a crisper corner/angle for the side), or just keep sc to the top and finish with a handle.  I check for size in the middle of the project and I did decrease (only one stitch each) on the last 4 rows to make it a little more snug at the top to it would stay in place and not slip as I dug into my icecream!!!! It's pretty basic... if you want the catherine wheel pattern I'll find it for you...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005 07:36:27 AM by javastain » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

yep
mimi_mia

I love my dogs!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2005 05:19:16 AM »

Now there's a useful item........wow we don't need our hand to freeze along with our brains when we eat ice cream, yummmmmmmmmm......I love your ingenuity, great idea and great job!!! Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

InkFaery
Fae to the Izz-ank

The truth is, I've always been a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2005 05:42:28 AM »

Brilliant! I love your idea because seriously, who HASN'T frozen their hand off with a pint of BJ? *grins* Totally saving your pattern for later use, thank you for posting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Someday you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again...
javastain

javastain

Hello MC

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005 07:39:10 AM »

I re-read the pattern and fixed a few things... I was going between a pattern and a description and that was confusing... hope the fix is more clear! Enjoy your icecream all year long!!!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005 08:00:55 PM by javastain » THIS ROCKS   Logged

yep
Halidays
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005 11:38:08 AM »

I've looked and looked and cant' find any useful info on a catherine wheel.  Please add more info on this technique so I can make this cozy .

Thanks,

Halidays
THIS ROCKS   Logged
javastain

javastain

Hello MC

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005 02:21:35 PM »

Ok, so the catherine wheel is crazy but so cool, and you can do so many things with it...
Basic Catherine wheel;

special abbreviations CL=cluster= work { yo, insert hook, yo, draw loop through, yo draw loop through 2 loops} over the number of stitches indicated then yo and pull through all loops on hook
tch=triple chain or three chain
chain multiple of 10 + 6 (so, 16,26,36,46, etc.)
Add 1 more chain for base chain

1st row (wrong side); 1sc into 2nd chain from hook, 1sc into next ch, * skip 3ch, 7dc into next ch, skip 3ch, 1sc into each of next 3ch, rep from * to last 4 ch, skip 3ch, 4dc into last ch, turn.
2nd row; 1 ch, 1 sc into first st, 1sc into next st * 3ch, 1CL over next 7 sts, 3ch, 1sc into each of next 3 sts; rep from* to last 4 sts, 3ch 1CL over last 4 sts, skip tch (turn chain from previous row), turn
3rd row; 3ch (count as 1dc), 3dc into first st * skip 3ch, 1sc into each of next 3sc, skip 3ch, 7dc into loop which closed next CL; rep from * to end to finishishing with skip 3ch, 1sc into each of last 2sc, skip tch, turn
4th row; 3ch (count as 1dc), skip first st, 1CL over next 3 sts, * 3ch, 1sc into each of next 3 sts, 3ch, 1CL over next 7sts; rep from * finishing with 3ch, 1sc into next st, 1sc into top of tch, turn
5th row; 1ch, 1sc into each of first 2sc, * skip 3ch, 7dc into loop which closed the next CL, skip 3ch, 1sc into each of next 3sc; rep from * ending skip 3ch, 4dc into top of tch, turn.
rep 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th rows.

*** so if you're making the icecream cozie, you will already have a stitch count at 36, so DONT add one more, but if you want to use this for say a blanket or something, and you want it 46 stitches long, then start with a 47 chain base...
when I modified this pattern to fit in a continuous round, I simply slip stitched at the end of the row, and TURN, just kept going from the next row, basically what happens is you finish the row in the middle of a cluster, and you start your next round in the middle of a cluster, it works out great, but if you are not a skilled maker-upper, it might be a little tricky... please don't hesitate to ask q's or point out p's, I am a first time pattern/instruction writer. I usually have you in front of me and I can wave my hands around to help me describe stuff!!! Grin
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005 08:07:18 PM by javastain » THIS ROCKS   Logged

yep
michellecooley
just ME

prettymess

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005 09:00:35 PM »

That is so fricken cool!!!  HAVE to make when  or ass it to my aish list on a swap!! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.myspace.com/michellecooley

"Ever Day....... has a beginning and an ending......"
javastain

javastain

Hello MC

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2005 08:05:31 PM »

Ok, crap, since I like to make things up and follow patterns at the same time, I told you all the wrong thing... when I added the catherine wheel, I actually did turn the project after I joined the round... so I am modifying the pattern as of this minute to reflect the turn (the first attempt at putting the catherine wheel in the round, I did not turn and it didn't turn out right, so I fixed it but forgot that was the route I went!!!)...sorry, hope this didn't screw up anybody's Ben and Jerry's enjoyment!!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yep
nerdnirvana
a resting place for overachievers.

happy now?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2005 10:08:53 PM »

this must be the ULTIMATE "my boyfriend just broke up with me so i must crochet something useful" project. you get your craft fix and your icecream fix. mmmmmm haagen-dazs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i can survive for three months on a good compliment. - oscar wilde.
this is not a solar symbol. it is a potato. - joan mir
samsmartypants
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2005 10:56:37 PM »

This is brilliant! I bet you could sell them
It completely makes me want to start crocheting
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=107374.0

"And you know that she's half crazy, but that's why you want to be there." ~Leonard Cohen~

www.myspace.com/samsmart
javastain

javastain

Hello MC

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2005 09:45:20 PM »

Grin Thanks everyone! I had a great time creating this one, I was always complaining about my frozen hands, and especially since we have been having a super cold winter here in Washington state... I'll never give up my icecream!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yep
TulipOhare
swiss miss

I'm a knitter, crocheter, and basic crafty wannabe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2005 12:30:58 AM »

Does this remind anybody else of Ali G?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
that1spazticchik

<3 The Donnas <3

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2006 02:11:03 PM »

oh my goodness what an amazing idea!! i love it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katewallis
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2006 03:25:54 AM »

HA HA!! That's great! no more frost bite on my fingers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

* Kate *
lilbandade
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2007 07:00:05 AM »

thats cute and i love the fact that is has a handle like a coffee mug.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sewsew-a-Gogo
Faster, Pussycat! Sew! Sew!

I'll show ye.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2007 07:46:38 AM »

Hahahaha.. that's too funny!!  Why must I be cursed with lactose intolerance?!?  Maybe you could make one to fit the gallon size tubs next... I know a couple of people who would like that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Currently taking a hiatus from swapping.  Sad

I've always wondered what disease cured ham had.

Wist Bandwagon
javastain

javastain

Hello MC

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2007 08:42:50 AM »

Hahahhaaa... the gallon cozy! Oh, maybe it could be used at like a birthday party (I couldn't live with myself if I thought someone was going to sit down and eat a whole gallon of icecream themself!) or some other event where a bunch of people are going to be served at one time! OH~! Have you seen those 5 gallon tubs of icecream at costco!? That would be hilarious! I might do one as a joke! My daughter's b-day is in May, and we are totally thinking of doing a whole neighborhood invited party... the plans include one of those tunbs of icecream.... Hmmm....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yep
Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2007 10:17:45 PM »

Hehe great idea. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
yarn_turtle
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2007 10:42:22 PM »

nice, now i want some ice cream so i'm motivated to crochet Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tips For Avoiding Dry Winter Skin
Top 6 Problem Solving Winter Beauty Products
Top Picks for Teeth Whiteners
How to Apply Winter Makeup
How to Create Smokey Eyes in 5 Easy Steps
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects
January 21st is Squirrel Appreciation Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...