A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,879
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dog coat - now with mini tutorial-scroll down  (Read 20675 times)
Tags for this thread: pet_clothes  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Divasews
« on: December 06, 2005 08:41:05 AM »

This is a coat that I made for my adorable miniature pinscher, Troy. I've made another one since. For the second one I lengthened the back by an inch or two and made it more rounded.

The pic is of the first one I made.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2006 01:06:47 PM by Divasews » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mnwild
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005 07:21:51 PM »

Super cute! And the coat is cool too!  Looks a lot like the coats I make my dog but w/o the belly strap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Divasews
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005 07:50:26 PM »

Thanks! This coat has a belly strap too, you just cant see it.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lady4feet
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005 11:22:42 PM »

I'm in love with these styles of jackets. They are so cute and pretty easy. The possiblities are endless. Good job, your puppy looks very proud to show it off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tiffanysushi
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005 08:19:32 PM »

Awww, that's so sweet.  Does your dog like wearing it?  Whenever I dress up my dogs, they pull at the clothing, oh well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Saltygal
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005 05:48:13 PM »

Wow!  Smiley Great looking coat and pup! The print really suits him. ( guessing Troy is a boy)   My daughter adopted a puppy and it needs a coat, Your design looks clean and uncomplicated, did you free hand it or use a commercial one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There ain't no party like my Nana's tea party.

http://saltygal.etsy.com/
http://saltygal.blogspot.com/
homey
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006 10:52:42 AM »

This is great--did you waterproof it too?  I made one like this for my dog, out of sporty green plaid.  Then I got the idea of making one out of oilcloth for super water-repellency.  I bought some wild pink-flowered oilcloth, but then decided my poor dog was going to feel too self-conscious going out in it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
orangeisgood
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006 11:34:21 AM »

What a nice style!  I should really make my yorkie a coat. All he's got are tshirts to go out in, and a coat would be so much better in the freeeeezing winter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Divasews
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006 01:02:42 PM »

Thanks!

He doesnt mind wearing coats at all, which was a surprise when I first put it on him. I "drafted" a pattern for the coat from Troy's  measurements.  It was very simple to do. It took an hour from measuring to completion. I based the design on horse blankets. I didnt want a coat that I had to insert Troys legs into sleeves as he would have hated that. I didnt waterproof it, but Im sure you could.

To make one measure:

a: center of chest to how far back you want the coat to reach on the dogs back
b: between shoulder blades to how far back you want the coat to reach on the dogs back (the same place you measured to on the back in step 'a' measurement
c: between shoulder blades to how far down the belly you want the coat to reach
d:between shoulder blades to center of dogs chest
e: bottom of where neck meets chest to spot level with where you decided the coat would reach on the belly as in step 'c' measurement. 

Argghhh stupid photobucket resized the image so you cant see which is a,b,c,d etc. Oh well I think you can figure it out reading the above measurements.

Next add seams allowances to your measurments and draw the pattern.

Then create a curve at the back and the neck line of the pattern.

Cut fabric and lining with measurement 'b' on the fold. Note: this doesnt allow for a lot of space around the shoulder blades/base of neck area. So if your dogs needs more room there create a pattern that will have the 'b' line curving upwards as it approaches the neck to allow more room. This adjustment will not allow for the pattern to by cut on the fold, instead cut out two pieces and sew down the centre back seam.

Sew your lining and fabric right sides together leaving an opening for turning. Slipstitch the opening closed.

If your fabric and linging are too bulky to turn then sew them wrong sides together and add a binding or trim to hide the seam.

You will need to create a belly strap by measuring under the belly. Sew one end to the side of the blanket and velcro to the end of the strap and velcro to the side of the blanket where you will attach the velcro end of the strap. Also sew some velcro on the front chest closures.

hope that helps.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006 01:05:05 PM by Divasews » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Saltygal
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006 10:10:06 PM »

Thanks so much for taking the  time to post a tutorial! Your directions are so clear. I'm going to make one for my daughter's puppy.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There ain't no party like my Nana's tea party.

http://saltygal.etsy.com/
http://saltygal.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Old Hollywood Glam Look
Elegant Updo Hair Tutorial
The Elva Hsiao Asian Look
How to Get Side Swept Bangs
Homemade Moisturizing Hair Conditioner
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...