A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,169
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Reading patterns: what does "don't join rounds" mean?  (Read 813 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SparkleHorse
The Green Fairy

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2005 07:29:21 AM »

I was looking at this pattern that somebody else posted on Craftster a while back for crochet birds, and I don't know what "don't join rounds" means. Pattern for birds: www.marloscrochetcorner.com/birds.html

Also, what is "dec sc"? And how does one do it?

Can you help? I wanted to make my mom some cardinals for Christmas.

Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"But why don't you scream now?" Alice asked, holding her hands ready to put over her ears again.

"Why, I've done all the screaming already," said the Queen. "What would be the good of having it all over again?"
Bastelmutti
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005 07:56:08 AM »

More experienced crocheters - correct me if I'm wrong. There are 2 ways to crochet in the round. You either crochet a (round) row, join the last stitch with a slip stitch, then make the appropriate no. of chains to start the next row. These are round rows sort of sitting on top of each other. Or you can just keep going instead of slip stitching the last stitch, in which case you end up crocheting in a spiral. Your directions are telling you to do the latter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bastelmutti
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005 07:57:42 AM »

I forgot the second part. Here are instructions for a single crochet decrease:
http://crochet.about.com/library/bl_decrease.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FluffyMonkey
i feel my fate in what i cannot fear

The creative mind plays with what it loves

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005 07:58:53 AM »

Usually when you crochet in the round, you crochet until you come around back to the first stitch, then join with a slip stitch in the top of the beginning stitch. This pattern wants you to forego the slip stitch and just keep crocheting in a spiral, using a stitch marker so you know when you've finished the round. I hope that makes sense.

"Dec sc" usually means "decrease single crochet" stitch. I've always done it by pulling up a loop in the next stitch, then pulling up another loop in the stitch after, then yarning over and drawing through all three loops on the hook. That makes  you end up with less stitches because you use two stitches to make one single crochet. Does that help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

On Ravelry! Look me up; there I'm baela.
SparkleHorse
The Green Fairy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005 08:02:10 AM »

Fluffy monkey -

yes, that definitely helps. the way i was reading it made it sound to me like i was going to end up with a slit where i'd not joined the rounds, which didn't seem quite right, but i understand now that it's a spiral. that makes sense.

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"But why don't you scream now?" Alice asked, holding her hands ready to put over her ears again.

"Why, I've done all the screaming already," said the Queen. "What would be the good of having it all over again?"
javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005 11:22:08 AM »

Hey Fluffy Monkey~
Good tip on decreasing the single crochet (or any for that matter) too many people just skip a stitch rather than grabbing it, and the next one to decrease! I hope all "green" crochet-ers can understand this little tip, it makes a much better end project (no weird holes)!!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
FluffyMonkey
i feel my fate in what i cannot fear

The creative mind plays with what it loves

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005 11:29:30 AM »

wow, thanks guys.

it's really not my tip, though. i saw it in a pattern under the "special stitches" area.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

On Ravelry! Look me up; there I'm baela.
determinedimprovisation

overly-excited crafter of all trades

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005 04:04:40 PM »

ha!  i'm using that pattern to make my mom cardinals for xmas too!  once i get the bodies done i'm going to try to figure out how to add a little crest.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Flaming Text in Gimp
How to Change the Film Speed in Windows Movie Maker
How to Change the Audio of Your Videos in Windows Movie Maker
Turn Yourself Into a Vampire in Gimp
How to Use Mario Paint Composer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...