A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,960
Currently Running With Scissors:
443 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Book Club tidbits  (Read 1400 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jojo

Sweet Mother of Pearl!

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2004 07:14:16 PM »

I and some girls from work have started a book club.  Now, since we all love to eat as much as we love to read, it has turned into a bookclub slash potluck club.  So what I'm wondering is, what is your fave recipe for a quick snack to take to such an event?  Doesn't have to be fancy, just uber-yummy, and it would be a plus if it was fairly easy to make!  All right guys and gals...give me your creative ideas!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Crafty Jule
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004 09:05:26 PM »

Are you looking for suggestions for meals,  main cource  or for munchies?

Soups made in a crock pot are simple & yummy & can be inexpensive too.

Take hot dogs & cut them into "buttons" brown them in a fry pan, lay on paper towles to absorb any grease. Then heat up some bar-b-q sauce with a dash or two of pepper sauce. Add the hot doggs  & take this in a mini crock pot.  Or another good sauce sounds nasty but is tasty mix equal amounts of grap jelly & ketchup.

A yummy cold salad:  Make white rice according to directions. Minute rice actually works best for this. I don't know why. Let cool add chopped green pepper, diced tomotos, & shredded carrot. Mix well Add italian dressing. You don't want to drench it, just barley coat it.  It I best to make & chill overnight.  I've made that for a Baby Shower lunchen & served a bed of the rice salad topped with a scoop of Chicken salad. It is very yummy!

Dipp & veggies are always a good choice for munchies. Put the dip in a bread bowl or a pepper with the top cut off to make a bowl. Add  pita wedges & sliced green pepper strips & baby carrots & it's a nice
healthy snack.

Simle but alittle sticky: 12 individually wrapped caramels, unwrapped and chopped,    1/4 cup light corn syrup,    4 apples - peeled, cored and diced,    microwave safe bowl, place the caramels and light corn syrup. Microwave on high heat approximately 30 seconds, until melted.   Place apples in the bowl, and toss until coated with the caramel and light corn syrup mixture. Allow to cool before serving.  I reallylike this with granny smith appels. I actually prefer to leave the skins on too.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2004 09:24:28 PM by Jule » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jojo

Sweet Mother of Pearl!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004 09:26:01 PM »

OOgg!  I'm so excited!  I just noticed I've been promoted to a Junior Member!  Score!  Anyway, Jule, thanks for the  ideas! Cheesy  I like the thought of putting the dip into a hollowed out vegetable.  To answer your question, I'm mostly looking for appetizer/snack/dessert type things, not full meals or casseroles or anything.  Finger food, really.  Thanks again for the ideas.  Anyone else got any favourites?
PS. I have tasted the grape jelly/ketchup combo before...it's actually quite tasty.  But when they told me what it was I must admit I was momentarily horrified!  Only momentarily, though...then I continued to chow down with pleasure!!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004 09:28:49 PM by jojo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Crafty Jule
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004 10:47:05 PM »

Congrats JR MEMBER    Grin

No prob... I love making fancy food! 
If you like the dip in a veggie you can also do a fruit dip in a hollowed out orannge or mellon. I like to mix eqal parts of sour cream & stawberry yougurt to make a dip for fruit.

Pillsbury biscuts Or cresent rolls stuffed with cheese & or meats are yummy & quick to make.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004 06:53:53 AM »

Triscuit nachos are really good - just put a layer of triscuits on a plate and cover with shredded cheese, microwave until the cheese is melted, then pull them apart.  You can accent with bacon bits or salsa or tiny little pieces of ham slices or whatever
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ForevrBee
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2004 09:01:55 AM »

I've an idea. Take hot dogs & cut them up into thirds or fourths & wrap them up in two choices of dough. the first choice is creasant roll dough in which I spread a little hummus on the dough before wrapping it up. the other is using pizza bread dough sprinkled with some oregano on top. After the dogs are wrapped, I fasten then with toothpicks & put them in the oven for 13-15 minutes at 375* (I think). You could also use pizza sauce as dipping sauce for the pizza dough/Oregano dogs. This is a variation of the "Not Pigs in A Blanket" recipe in the Garden of Vegan cookbook (You can use actual hot dogs if you wish).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004 09:14:45 AM by ForevrBee » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Damn the Man, Save the Empire!"
  ~Mark, Empire Records
Crafty Jule
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2004 11:48:18 AM »

ForevrBee  I saw your suggestion for the hummus & hot dogs last night. I just made them! i had to logg on to tell you how yummy they are! I cut teh hot dogs in thirds & used red pepper hummus on the cresent rolls. I'm taking these to a picnic, I bet they will go very quickley!

Thanks!
Jule
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ForevrBee
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2004 02:36:30 PM »

Glad you tried the Hummus/cressent roll dog recipe out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Damn the Man, Save the Empire!"
  ~Mark, Empire Records
jojo

Sweet Mother of Pearl!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2004 03:17:53 PM »

Hmmm, i just might have to try that!  I'm thinking of subsitituting veggie dogs though, but i"m sure that would be just as delish!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jojo

Sweet Mother of Pearl!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2004 02:00:33 PM »

I was just thinking I should tell you what I took to LAST months book club meeting, because it was VERY easy to make and went over really well...WARNING: it is not healthy!! Grin  It's a fruit dip:
Just mix together 1 pkg philedelphia cream cheese
                         1 jar marshmallow fluff (Kraft makes it i think)
                         pinch of cinnamon
                         dash of lemon juice
DONE!  I blended mine a but with a mixer to make it smoother and served it with strawberries, bananas and grapes for dipping.  Deee-lish!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Halloween Ghosts
How to Make White Chocolate Halloween Spooky Cookies
Food Truck Filled With Nutella Rolls Onto College Campus
Creamy Pumpkin Mousse Dessert Recipe
Halloween Candy Shortbread Bars
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...