A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,685
Currently Running With Scissors:
705 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Food gifts for a Vedic?  (Read 706 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ravenheart

My hobby is trouble

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2005 02:15:25 PM »

Ok, this is a little wacky...

I found a cute jar at the resale shop. Thought "hey, that would make a good gift for my landlord/friend" I'd like to fill it with ...something. I was thinking about the "gift in a jar" thing, but he's on a Vedic diet. I've done a little research on that, but it's hard to know what would be ok to put into, say, a soup mix. I'm not even sure he can eat cookies, so a cookie mix might not be a good idea. Or is it? Any Vedics here?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005 11:05:30 AM »

Had to look that one up. No wonder I've never heard of it:

Vedic Foods means high octane fuels like clean water fruits, vegetables, sea vegetables, herbs and their teas, whole grains, seeds, nuts, legumes and plain white yogurt without fruit or sweeteners. (What the heck is a clean water fruit?)

I also note that there are different versions of these dieters, and the change of the planetary positions can affect what they decide to eat.

I would 100% skip giving this person food, but perhaps a swag of good loose tea placed in the jar would be nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bella_violet
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005 11:32:48 AM »

I agree that gifting this person food would likely be a waste as he probably wouldn't be able to eat it...

but I second the idea of tea...

I know of lots of great health food stores that carry lovely bulk teas...you could fill it with loose leaf tea and tie a ribbon with a tea ball around the lid!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005 12:33:50 PM »

Rooibos tea, it is a sweet red tea slightly vanilla like from africa.  All the antioxidants of green tea none of the caffeine.  The tetley brand of rooibos while delicious has been adulterated, get the pure stuff from the health food store. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BambiKhantastic
Craftster's Resident Tattoo Artist

Taloola Rocks my World!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005 04:36:56 PM »

I'd avoid food. How about a Journal Jar? It's a jar full of thought joggers, encouraging people to write.
http://organizedchristmas.com/article70.html
You could package it with a new journal or norebook.
Or, if they have any pets, you could make snacks for their pup.
Or hows about some manly bathbombs or salts?
Or potporri?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smellymel
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005 09:51:45 AM »

i just happened to live in a town a couple of years ago that is pretty much a haven for vedics. they even built a city nearby called The Vedic City! here are some general guidelines. it's basically a form of vegetarianism that focuses on organic indian food and keeping 80% alkalinity to 20% acidity in the diet.

here's a simple guideline if you really think you want to give food. however, its kind of confusing. the journal thing above is a great idea though, because if this person is vedic, he/she is probably very spiritual and may need to take down a few notes to help reach higher consciousness!!

Pungent foods nourish the lower charkas; aromatic foods nourish the higher charkas.

Foods for the soul are ghee(Indian clarified butter) and water energized with MANTRA.

Foods for the mind are yogurt, sugar, walnuts, green vegetables, fruits (sweet), rice (basmati) and coconut.

Foods for the body are milk, proteins, wheat, corn, barley, etc, vegetables that grow under the earth, lentils, spices and fruits (citric).

Food items you should avoid are red meat of all kinds, old chocolate (can cause leukemia), coffee (can cause high blood pressure, nervousness and arthritis), eggs (can cause ulcers and contribute to kidney and heart problems), pound cakes (cause stagnation of the digestive systemif you must eat cake, make sure it has lot of nuts and fiber), old food that has been cooked or lying in the refrigerator for more than 72 hours. Food that is very old nourishes emotional blocks from the past and is extremely detrimental to spiritual progress. Try not to mix proteins and carbohydrates (red beans and potatoes is one example). Cold drinks and sodas are also to be avoided as they rob the body of vital heat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Extreme Website Makeover - Managing Assets and Working with Layer Groups
Extreme Website Makeover - Creating Mock-up Navigation Buttons
Extreme Website Makeover - Preparing a Web Page Mock-up in Photoshop
Extreme Website Makeover - Website Layout Using Photoshop®
Extreme Website Makeover - Using Live Paint to Fill an Area with Color
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...