A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,623
Currently Running With Scissors:
721 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hardware Store Scavenger Love Clock  (Read 23022 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

espressopunk
free to good home

'art is why i get up in the morning'

View Profile WWW
« on: December 05, 2005 10:29:30 AM »

Okay, so this is my first challenge...sorry this pics are so bad as far as color goes, but my digital camera is terrible at getting color...anyways, this clock was made only with things available at home depot, i even included 5 pennies i received as change...total cost $8.95, plus those five pennies and some stress...I am waiting to get my film back which has photos of me making it, but i wanted to get this post up before i forgot.

to access the clock workings and two of the front screws come out and the front face comes off, two of the screws are dummy screws just for looks...

here is the back

and yet another front view

my first challenge attempt... Undecided

for those who have asked i will be posting a step by step tutorial as soon as my shopping and crafting is done for the holiday, also clocks and other works by me will be in my new online gallery/shop after the holidays...www.espressopunk.co m.  happy holidays to all.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008 12:56:34 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged
anna-begins

Think Different

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005 11:08:11 AM »

Very creative.  I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...we all shine on...  ~John Lennon
CosmicCranberry
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005 11:18:24 AM »

you rock! I would totally shell out the cash for something this cool.........
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moondeela
scurvy shyster

Girls just wanna have fun...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005 11:21:01 AM »

Industrial design at it's finest...Great job and completely unique!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you want anything said, ask a man. If you want something done, ask a woman. ~Margaret Thatcher

The secret of getting ahead is getting started. ~Sally Berger
minouette
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005 12:26:54 PM »

I like it. It has character. It looks like it might walk away!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I opened an Etsy shop! Come visit http://minouette.etsy.com

(I have a wist too: http://minouette.wists.com)
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005 02:31:33 PM »

That's awesome! How big is it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
MadelBlue
Blue Sees...

Tangled up in blue...

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005 02:41:04 PM »

HOLY CRAP!! You are so creative that clock is WONDERFUL!!!! I can totally see Pier1 charging at least 40 bucks for that. Great job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

girlwonder
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005 02:50:58 PM »

that's so awesome! it reminds me of an old film loaded camera.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gracie Girlwonder

"A vagabond, when rich, is called a tourist." -unknown

"To be somebody, a woman does not have to be more like a man, but has to be more of a woman." Sally E. Shaywitz, neuroscientist
espressopunk
free to good home

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005 04:22:51 PM »

That's awesome! How big is it?

the main junction box part is about 5x5x2.5 inches
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kemerald14

Gimme a bweak... can't touch this!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005 04:36:41 PM »

Thats awesome expressopunk! Where did you get the metal things that say "love"? That is so cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where's the yellow button! Whoa, whose car is that.. it's a beast!
espressopunk
free to good home

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005 05:25:06 PM »

Thats awesome expressopunk! Where did you get the metal things that say "love"? That is so cool!

there was a package of alphabet letters and numbers in the aisle where they have stick -on sign letters and what not, it was open and on clearance so i looked to see if i had enough letters for a word, and 'love' appeared in my hand, looked at the sticker, 99 cents clearance price, why not...they almost didn't sell it to me though since it was opened, i was like, it has the letters i want though, really it's fine

they are bonded to a large washer
THIS ROCKS   Logged
geewillikers
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005 09:00:24 PM »

wow that's crazy cool.  Everything about it is just perfect, I wish I could have it.  I kinda now wish I had participated in this challenge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not the end of civilization, but you can see it from there.....Robin Williams
espressopunk
free to good home

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2005 09:23:34 PM »

wow that's crazy cool.  Everything about it is just perfect, I wish I could have it.  I kinda now wish I had participated in this challenge.

i have two i have to make before the holidays, i might have time to make one or two more...if  interested message me or e-mail me at :  espressopunk at gmail dot com...fair costs
THIS ROCKS   Logged
coolbeans

This hot chocolate is so frothy.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2005 10:34:41 PM »

Wow!! That is wicked awesome! Plus it's always great to see guys being crafty! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftydame

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005 12:43:31 AM »

that's so awesome! what kind of adhesive did you use to connect it all?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
espressopunk
free to good home

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2005 06:58:45 AM »

that's so awesome! what kind of adhesive did you use to connect it all?

for whatever could not held together with screws or needed to be affixed to the front or side i used 'Steel epoxy putty' (the two part putty, not the gel) it's great for projects that won't be handled much, it's super strong, works best on unpainted surface with a little grit, i lightly sanded the areas i bonded to give them a little tooth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lolo
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005 11:48:16 AM »

incredible.  you definitely have my vote. all the wonderful uniqueness of handmade without the awkwardness of homemade.  it's beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

espressopunk
free to good home

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2005 12:57:50 PM »

incredible.  you definitely have my vote. all the wonderful uniqueness of handmade without the awkwardness of homemade.  it's beautiful!

thanks, hopefully i will have pics of the making of it soon, i will be making a tutorial for this, so no worries, i will probably make the tutorial with the clock i am currently building and post it after the challenge and my work lets up a bit... both my son and i got a bad cold and i have been working too much...grrr...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beanknotty

Did you bring the chocolate?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005 01:21:30 PM »

That is AWESOME!!!!!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lyrem591
That's Mrs. Daniel Radcliffe to you

you didn't see anything...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2005 04:30:50 PM »

Shocked you made a WORKING clock?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"...thrashing around like a pair of eels all over the place..."--Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Chelsea
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2005 05:38:22 PM »

I'm the same way with every single challenge.  I see one come up and I think, "Nah, I'll wait until the next one" and then when I see the results...I usually end up doing something after the challenge is over.  I get so much inspiration from the entries.

I absolutely love the clock. This is exactly the type of inspiration I mean, it almost like screws and washers and pipes and metal sheets are floating around in my head attaching themselves randomly to each other trying to make something.  My biggest problem is my inability to do anything with hardware (although I did ask for a cordless drill for Christmas) because I only have a little tool kit my dad bought me when I got an apartment. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mint
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2005 09:52:09 PM »

I really like it too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Moonbeam1212
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2005 07:41:05 AM »

Its been said... but KUDOS for a great project! (Pass me an expresso while you're there?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not yet crafty enough to have a rawking sig.
espressopunk
free to good home

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2005 10:47:28 AM »

Its been said... but KUDOS for a great project! (Pass me an expresso while you're there?)
i could seriously go for one right now
THIS ROCKS   Logged
irid3sc3nt

I <3 Halloween

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2005 04:40:51 PM »

I like that this runs!  It's not everyday you see mechanical mesh with crafty.  Or at least I haven't seen a lot of it.  But I do tend to spend a lot of time on the knitting board Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Pinterest
I am interested in Halloween Rinchies!
Swaps:  OTT October10/21, Creepy Cute Stuffie10/23
ciracira
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2005 10:58:03 PM »

This is so amazing! I want one!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
around
mama

where are we going? why are we in this handbasket?

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2005 05:40:52 AM »

i would totally buy that.
it is cute and funky and i love it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the centuries are sprinkled with rare magic and divine creatures who help us get past the common and extraordinary ills that beset us

Favorite Craftster quote --
"Normal" is for chumps, suckers and saps. -TheMistressT
missgurle17
Miss Dana Rae

XoXo, Dana

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2005 12:45:23 AM »

That is totally completely amazing. I love have you used a heart (my fav.) and how its girly sorta in the industrail made for this challenge sort of way.
Plus you a guy, male craftsters are the best. And no that can not be said to many times, lol.

Awesome awesome awesome.
XoXo, Dana.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

XoXo, Dana Rae

I have 50 gmail invitations, this is a great invite only email service. Email me if you are interested.
bluechip
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2005 05:40:25 PM »

This is so cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laura99
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2005 07:55:27 PM »

I agree with "around" comments... I would buy one....two... OK several,, of course one for me and several for my friends.  That's what I call CREATIVITY.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
liebschien

"Do or do not - there is no try." - Yoda

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2005 04:37:25 AM »

This one gets my vote.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chickybiker
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2005 09:59:38 AM »

This really appeals to me in an "ooooh, I really like your thought process with those items" kinda way more than a "that's the sort of thing I'd like one of" way.  I hope you don't mind me liking your brains more than your crafts!?!  Embarrassed

It's still the most well thought out and well spent item that makes an individual statement and thinks outside the junction-box, so to speak.  Roll Eyes

chicky xx

Oh, by the way, I'm way behind on current software capabilities (think Corel Draw 3 era Shocked) and I was wondering if you could explain to me how you get your name watermarked on your photos for me please?  It's probably really simple and obvious, but it's such a good idea!  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jenney
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2005 10:30:38 AM »

oooh..i really like this..so much Ive actually posted an opinion!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
espressopunk
free to good home

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2005 10:34:37 AM »

Oh, by the way, I'm way behind on current software capabilities (think Corel Draw 3 era Shocked) and I was wondering if you could explain to me how you get your name watermarked on your photos for me please?  It's probably really simple and obvious, but it's such a good idea!  Embarrassed

i did it in photoshop, i assume you can do it in many programs, it's just a matter of making a text layer and then changing the opacity of said layer...i never did it before, but i posted once in another forum (not craftster) and someone stole a bunch of my images claiming them as their own, and someone else  posted some of my crafts to a blog stating they made them.  I don't mind people using my pictures, but give credit where it is do...so ya, i know it's probably not necessary on craftster, but i've gotten in the habit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chickybiker
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2005 11:49:16 AM »

i did it in photoshop, i assume you can do it in many programs, it's just a matter of making a text layer and then changing the opacity of said layer...i never did it before, but i posted once in another forum (not craftster) and someone stole a bunch of my images claiming them as their own, and someone else  posted some of my crafts to a blog stating they made them.  I don't mind people using my pictures, but give credit where it is do...so ya, i know it's probably not necessary on craftster, but i've gotten in the habit.

Oh, thank you very much esspressopunk!  Grin  I suspect I'll need to get something other than my old versions of Word or Publisher to do this.  I've just tried every trick I can think of and nada.  Trust me to pick the one thing I *can't* do!  Angry 

Good luck with the challenge!

chicky xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2005 12:38:31 PM »

I suspect I'll need to get something other than my old versions of Word or Publisher to do this.  I've just tried every trick I can think of and nada.   

I know you can get a similar result in Publisher (put a text box directly over your photo, right-click the text box & set it to "no fill color," and type the text in a light color), but I'm not sure you can save it as a jpg after that.  So this may not help, after all...

Sorry for helping turn the clock thread into a photo tech support thread.  So, in the spirit of the thread:  nice work, espressopunk!  I half-expected to see a wind-up key in the back so the clock could walk around!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
espressopunk
free to good home

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2005 12:49:49 PM »

I suspect I'll need to get something other than my old versions of Word or Publisher to do this.  I've just tried every trick I can think of and nada.   

I know you can get a similar result in Publisher (put a text box directly over your photo, right-click the text box & set it to "no fill color," and type the text in a light color), but I'm not sure you can save it as a jpg after that.  So this may not help, after all...

Sorry for helping turn the clock thread into a photo tech support thread.  So, in the spirit of the thread:  nice work, espressopunk!  I half-expected to see a wind-up key in the back so the clock could walk around!  Wink

alwalys like to help people with tech questions, unfortunately i have removed all MS programs from my mac as they are evil...anyways...as to the wind up comment, i've just made one for someone that had a wind up key in the back for a music box inside
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2005 12:53:16 PM »

alwalys like to help people with tech questions, unfortunately i have removed all MS programs from my mac as they are evil...anyways...as to the wind up comment, i've just made one for someone that had a wind up key in the back for a music box inside
Hmmm... am I seeing inside your head?   Cheesy  Seriously, though, that must have made a great music box.  Was it a clock, too?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
espressopunk
free to good home

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2005 01:21:43 PM »

Hmmm... am I seeing inside your head?   Cheesy  Seriously, though, that must have made a great music box.  Was it a clock, too?

yes, also a clock, it was very involved, used a larger junction box and has metal wings and has a lot more charcter, i would post a picture, but i think the person who it is a gift for might be a craftster lurker and would know it was for them due to certain personal touches, so i will first ask the permission of the person who commisioned it and then maybe put pictures in a different thread sometime soon
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nutella

In a free knitting pattern kind of way.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2005 07:25:47 PM »

Yes, please please post it if you get permission to! I truly love this clock. I hope you don't mind the comparison to the work of William Joyce (Robots, Rolie Polie Olie). There's so much life and character.

And you're a Chicago boy. What's not to love?! I moved away nearly 5 years ago, but I'm Chicago born and raised!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wisty bandwagon: http://wists.com/?q=nutellanutterson

I'm walking and raising funds in support of AIDS Project Los Angeles: http://aidswalklosangeles2007.kintera.org/kejreeves
batgirl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2005 10:40:57 AM »

That sounds amazing! I hope you post it, maybe after Christmas! I'm so impressed! Are you selling them somewhere?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
espressopunk
free to good home

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2005 10:55:50 AM »

That sounds amazing! I hope you post it, maybe after Christmas! I'm so impressed! Are you selling them somewhere?

i will be selling clocks after christmas.  with life being as it's been i don't have the effort left or the time to take care of everything that is currently on my plate.  the clocks and what not will be available on a website to be noted at a later date
THIS ROCKS   Logged
diosaperdida
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2005 01:11:09 AM »

This is ...well..I want one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
eirle

Ph.D. complete. Back to crafting!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2006 03:10:56 PM »

I know a million people have said this already, but your clock is simply beautiful. I would definitely like to buy one!
(I'm sort of a clock fanatic...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dare to Dream. Dare to believe in what is possible and instill in others the same sense of possibility." -C. Fiorina 2004
iflucyfell0829

<script type="text/javascript"><!--

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2006 06:06:16 PM »

love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
espressopunk
free to good home

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2006 09:59:26 AM »

FYI, for all those in the chicago area.  Crafty goods at the Handmade Market at the empty bottle on Feb 11th.  Me and my clocks with be there.  11-4 i think
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2006 03:52:26 PM »

That would ALMOST be worth the drive from Minneapolis!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Things
batgirl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2006 12:28:28 PM »

I hope you had a successful sale! I've been checking for your  website (and obviously sounding a bit stalkerish, sorry!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Things
purrpower
Unique vintage art supplies

What you think you become. BUDDA

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2006 11:48:56 PM »

Very creative.  I love it!
very well put together. very proffesional
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have an etsy what are you waiting for
http://www.etsy.com/shop/purrpower
My art etsy:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/bunnycrave
Blog:
http://www.bunnycrave.com
My Wists:
http://www.wists.com/purrpower
I love to swap ATC's, Personal swaps, YES!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy Fruit Tart Recipe Perfect for Memorial Day
How to Make the Perfect Banana Split
How to Make a Rhubarb-Raspberry Crumble
How to Make Lemon Curd Shortbread
Low-Cal Cheesy Cherry Danish Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...