A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 303,169
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hello and fulling question  (Read 541 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: December 05, 2005 04:44:50 AM »

I recently(re-)learned to knit and am so glad to finally be posting to this board. I kept wandering over from the crochet board anyway, so it's about time!

One of my first projects is a striped pouch sort of thing for my SIL made of Knitpicks Wool of the Andes that is destined for felting. Being lazy, I'm wondering if I can just knot off the loose ends of the stripes since I am planning to full/felt the bag - will this hold, or do I need to weave all of the ends in? I just got done weaving in all of the ends on a striped crocheted scarf, and I'm not eager to turn around and do it again, plus time is an issue. However, I'll do whatever I need to - I don't want to ruin the bag.

ruthee in Jacksonville -- Proud Knitting Bitch =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005 08:39:36 AM »

In my world, yes, you can....and it does fine.  I do suggest weaving the ends in but it doesn't have to nice at all....one straight shot will do the trick. 

Blog (of course....)
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005 09:36:11 AM »

Yep - I made knitpick's farmer's market tote a while back, and just tied the loose ends into knots where I could.  after felting, they become almost invisible, and what you can see is on the inside of the bag anyway! 

Science, knitting, ranting, and sex.  Not always in that order, and often all at once.

Look for me on ravelry!  Hey, that rhymed!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005 10:47:23 AM »

I got sick of weaving in ends on an intarsia bag recently, and ended up tying knots about halfway through.  They did just fine and I just trimmed off any loose junk after felting.
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005 11:38:12 AM »

Thanks! I ended up taking the middle road and tying a knot and then weaving in an inch or two - probably an unnecessary extra step, but since the bag didn't felt that well, maybe a good idea. It still looked OK, but I have to go back to the drawing board on the felting procedure.

Good to know about the knots - now I can indulge my love of stripes with no dread...
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005 10:13:38 PM »

Yes.  I just finished an intarsia tote, and the lazy knots and unwoven ends held up just fine, though they looked a bit sloppy.  If you're going to line it, no problem, I say.

There will also be cocktail sauce.  -- Smoove B

See Eunny Knit!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Vintage Beauty Hacks
3 Game-Changing Foundation Tricks
Super Foods for Beauty
VF NEWS: 3.1 Phillip Lim - Fall 2015 - NYFW - Runway & Designer Interview
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quilted Patchwork Basket
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...