A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,969
Currently Running With Scissors:
509 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What tools can't you live without?  (Read 5105 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fluffyhelen

<3 etsy&craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005 04:56:44 PM »

- My plastic yarn needles.
- My 40cm 5mm circular needles
- My 5.5mm, 6mm, 6.5 straight bamboo needles
- My tote bag.

Smiley

I use bits of paper as stitch markers (aren't I naughty) and I haven't even considered the possibility of buying a knitting machine yet!

Sounds like you have enough to be brand new right through to advanced at knitting!!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005 04:59:40 PM by fluffyhelen » THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005 05:24:58 PM »

how about a knitting gauge - the kind with rulers on two sides and an L shaped hole for calculating gauge, and holes with all the needle sizes? 

If it's for a gift, I'd ask for something slightly silly and extravagant - like a pair of tempered glass knitting needles in a size you'd use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005 05:39:33 PM »

Not knitting related, but I would love to have an electril grill/screwdriver  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
marimbachick
High Priestess of the Temple of Sexiness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2005 07:05:06 PM »

How about double pointed needles?  You've got interchangable circulars, you said (g0g0g0 Denise Interchangables!), but eventually you need some DPNS for hats, socks, sleeves, and other whatnots with small diameters.

I love my Stitch n' Bitch books by Debbie Stoller, which have a great assortment of beginner to intermediate projects that are easily modified to make them your own.  Maybe a subscription to a knitting magazine...does Interweave Knits do subscriptions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We need the Falkland Islands...for strategic sheep purposes."
eunnyjang
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2005 10:11:25 PM »

Wow - you already have a lot of cool toys!  I have just the absolute bare bones...that said, one of those needle size/gauge squares is really handy.

Damn.  I live for the day I purchase a swift Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There will also be cocktail sauce.  -- Smoove B

See Eunny Knit!
meco

Agent Provocateur

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2005 10:15:20 PM »

ahh, a swift. Me too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
frillyfun
Check-out my web site!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2005 04:24:43 AM »

Hi,
Thanks for the great ideas.  I think we're making some needles this weekend, and the stitch gauge would be really cool.  The swift is something my husband made for me last year.  He based it on something his mother had back in Finland and it works really well.  There's a pic of it here

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=28513.0

They're super easy to make...the cord is a piece of jumprope!  I've also seen really cool ones made out of legos, and kinex toys. 

Our local AC Moore had the knitting machines on sale, and then I used a 50% off coupon so it set me back about $75.00.  I'm not a big fan of it...it's tedious, and gets boring after a while.  It's also very intimidating to have 100 needles staring at you.  That's why I finally taught myself to knit.  Even at my super-pokey beginner speed I can do some things faster by hand...but it's great if you want to make a bunch of scarves for gifts. 

Thanks again for all of your suggestions! 

Karen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Learn to read 2-3 times faster!  www.speedyourread.c om
Ezri_B
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2005 05:45:44 AM »

It is or isn't knitting related, but I love my leatherman micra. Mine is kept in my crochet bag. It has a scissors along with a bunch of other fun tools. It folds up really small too. And they come in fun colors. Here's a link to a picture, just so you know what I'm talking about http://www.4bobandbob.com/pages/43.html

Those big books with TONS of different stitches are great, you can figure out how to make all different things in all different patterns once you know different stitches.

Some great lotion for your hands. Some yarns make my hands so dry (cottons especially)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nicolethegeek
I have terminal EAS!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2005 11:28:08 AM »

Since your hubby already sounds pretty handy, why not ask for a set of shelves to store all your goodies... like a set they have at the yarn stores to show it off? A bookcase with adjustable shelves for your books and patterns and such. Plastic storage bins: a variety of sizes. I use large ones to store yarn and large WIPS, medium sized ones for storing most WIPs, small ones for holding gadgets or small projects.

I also have THREE large fishing tackle boxes that I can't live without. I was very picky about the size of them since I have a large stash of needles and hooks and such. One very large one is for crocheting, and it is large enough that my afghan and double-ended hooks can fit in the bottom, and all my hooks and gadgets fit in the sectioned levels above. The same goes for my knitting box. It can fit my 14" straights in the bottom as well, and all my cable needles, stitch holders and such fit in the sections. My smaller one is for my tatting. I use the bottom of that one to store tatting thread {I don't have much that's *just* for tatting since I crochet with thread as small as size 50!}, with the sections to hold my shuttles and needles and such.

Just my 2 {CAN that is!},
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May all your projects be frog-less, and all your patterns error-free!

Nicole's Crochet Bistro: http://www.geocities.com/nicolethegeek
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}: http://nicolethegeek.blogspot.com/
wrybrarian
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2005 03:26:29 PM »

My favorite gadget is my tape measure, believe it or not. I'd love a super-fancy one, like this: http://www.knitpicks.com/tools/tools_display.aspx?itemid=80164

I also cannot live without those thingies you put on the end of your needles to keep your stitches from coming off, when you're not knitting. Oh, and a nice, fancy pair of little scissors to fit in your knitting pouch.

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Seen on Nicole Richie & Ashley Tisdale: The Brazilian Blowout
Red Carpet Ready for Robert Pattinson! Salon Makeover
Interview With Sally Hershberger - Hairstylist to the Stars: Style Icon
Interview with Frédéric Fekkai: Style Icon
How to Find the Right Haircut for Your Face Shape
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...