A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,705
Currently Running With Scissors:
656 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What tools can't you live without?  (Read 5096 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

caligurl2424
« on: December 04, 2005 11:43:14 PM »

ok so i just randomly today started to try knitting! yay! ok so anyways...i picked up some red heart and canon (sp?) simply soft yarn, and some 8 knitting needles...(dont mind me if i am down on the lingo!) i statred doing the slipnot and then i started knitting...i got kind of discouraged and stopped for a while...i wanna know if there are any other items i NEED to have for knitting...i am going to walmart tom so any info is appreciated! thx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

YoU SuCk...JuSt KidDiNg HoMiE!!
8ball
Visit my blog!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005 08:53:16 AM »

Find a pattern you like and use what you have.  Learn how to do gauge, different stitches, casting on, binding off, increasing, decreasing.

HTH
THIS ROCKS   Logged

m*babylon

you can't get there from here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005 09:30:16 AM »

scissors and a yarn needle for sewing the loose ends in when you're finished.  in the sewing section at wal-mart, they should have them with the rest of the needles.  Just look for a big metal or plastic needle with a big eye.  Yarn, needles to knit the yarn with (your 8's should be just fine for now, though you'll start looking at other sizes once you start worrying about this nasty, mean little thing called "gauge") scissors to cut the yarn with, and a needle to weave in your ends is all you need to get started, material-wise. oh, and hefty helpings of patience and moxie.  =]

good luck!
a*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

just a city boy, born & raised in south detroit
he took the midnight train going anywhere...
Zanti MissKnit

Formerly known as AndreaLH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005 09:35:37 AM »

I love my row-counter, which is a little red box that you click on every time you knit a row.  It's not completely necessary, as you can always draw a little "slash" on a notepad to keep track of your rows.  I love the little click noise though.

Congratulations on becoming a knitter!  I just celebrated my knitting 1-year anniversary (by knitting, of course!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amey
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005 07:16:11 PM »

a soft tape measure - not a metal ruler, but the kind that you can roll up, and sometimes comes retractable (my preference).

~amey
THIS ROCKS   Logged
slowpockets
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005 07:29:43 PM »

Two things:

1. A book with lots of pictures because knitting is way harder than it looks (for me anyway)

2. A basket. I just started last week and all of a sudden I have like 20 balls of yarn. It keeps all your supplies in one place and helps keep your yarn from snagging on your hockey sticks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
8ball
Visit my blog!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005 09:36:50 AM »

Also check out Knittinghelp.com for videos on how to do everything.  It's a great jump start!

C
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005 11:17:26 AM »

Since you're going to Walmart you can get one of those "I Taught Myself Knitting" kits for like $9
It comes with
2 sets of needles
Tapestry needles to weave in ends with
Row counter
Point protectors
Gauge ruler
Sitch Holder
Cable needles
Stitch Markers
and a book to teach you how to knit

All in all its not a bad kit and cheaper than if you bought all the things seperate. Just starting out though all you really need is needles, yarn, scissors, and a tapestry needle.

Welcome to the world of knitting!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog    http://stephieface.wordpress.com
Ravelry    http://www.ravelry.com/people/Stephieface

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
frillyfun
Check-out my web site!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005 04:10:37 PM »

Hi,
I'm brand new to knitting, and I'm asking for knitting stuff for Christmas.  I'm tough to buy for, and this year I think my husband is pretty releived that I'm asking for something even if it means going to a craft store (normally I say I'm not sure...a pain, I know).  I have a set of interchangeable round needles, some stitch markers, a few straight needles, stitch holders, a few cable needles, and a ton of yarn (I never have enough...but there's no way he'll get me any more, and I can't ask him with a straight face).  My mom is making me a knitting bag, and a needle case. I have her on the lookout for cool pattern books (she loves the thrift stores).   I also have an Ultimate Sweater Machine, felting needles, yarn swift, and winder.

What should I ask him for?  What tools do you have that you can't live without?  What would be good to get?  I'm thinking of an assortment of needles and some books, but what do you have that you like?  What are your favorite books?

Happy Holidays,
Karen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Learn to read 2-3 times faster!  www.speedyourread.c om
chrispykreme
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005 04:47:48 PM »

I wouldn't even know what to suggest. Sounds like you have some pretty cool toys already. I just have the basics.

set of interchangeable round needles, some stitch markers, a few straight needles, stitch holders, a few cable needles, and a ton of yarn...  My mom is making me a knitting bag, and a needle case... I also have an Ultimate Sweater Machine, felting needles, yarn swift, and winder.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Cornrow Hair - Invert Cornrow
Learn how to Cornrow Hair - Sectioning and Planning the Style
How to Cornrow Hair
Learn how to Style Your Hair for Prom - Modifying the Curly Look
Learn how to Style Your Hair for Prom - Competing the Curly Look
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...