A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,143
Currently Running With Scissors:
305 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What tools can't you live without?  (Read 5184 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fluffyhelen

<3 etsy&craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2005 04:31:47 PM »

You could always ask for things like ribbon, beads, buttons, press-studs and other assorted niceities which you find yourself having to buy when you start knitting larger objects.

I'm gradually accumulating a bag full of "nice buttons" because my mum keeps buying them for me.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knits_with_animals
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2005 05:47:50 PM »

One of my favorite gadgets is coiless safety pins.  They come in 2 sizes and the only places I have ever seen them is in yarn shops.  I use them as stitch markers and tiny stitch holders.  They're also great when you're rescuing a dropped stitch and you're having trouble keeping track of it.  I also like to use them to keep track of my progress when I'm sick to death of working on something but I need to finish it anyway.  It's encouraging to realize that I'm getting closer to finishing  those epic baby blankets!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlooCanoe

Pit knitters unite!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2005 08:08:11 AM »

A few years ago for my birthday, my mum made me a long skinny drawstring bag  to keep knitting needles in, and filled it with gadgety things:
- things to go over needle ends to keep stitches on the needle when you're not knitting
- row counter
- rust-proof knitter's pins (for blocking, etc.)
- double-ended stitch holders (so you can remove stitches from either end)
- yarn needles
- gauge measuring thingy
- needle diameter gauge
- packs of special yarn detergent

All stuff that I use a lot, but probably wouldn't have bought for myself. It was a great gift!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have you hugged your mod today? Smiley

"What I need.... is some wool." (Miss Marple)
tiffanysushi
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2005 08:06:44 PM »

The best investment I ever made was the Denise Interchangeable needle kit.  I got it for $47.95 and I use it exclusively.  I do have bamboo, metal, plastic, and other wooden needles, but I much prefer the Denise set.  I just wish I bought that set earlier.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mizuiro
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2005 02:08:36 AM »

When I'm trying to conserve on space (small project, small bag) I love my cute Clover accessories.  I gathered it all from using craft store coupons, and it was worth the time:

Stitch holders that come in their own pouches
Point Protectors (in an Altoid gum tin)
Chibi needle Case
Yarn Cutter Pendant
Ergonomic crochet hook

I also have a retractable tape measure from Joann.  It all goes into a small felted Buttonhole bag I made from the Mason-Dixon Knitting pattern along with the yarn, work in progress and pattern.  It's a small bag, but I'm still amazed at how bottomless it is.  The bag was my second experiment in felting, and another knitting tool I couldn't live without, now that I think about it Smiley  Gotta have a good knitting bag.

I could seriously use a ball winder, though.  I think that would be incredibly handy, since most of the fiber I've been buying lately has been in hanks or skeins that get really tangled in the middle.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005 02:13:40 AM by mizuiro » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Got Blog?  So do I:  http://yeahiknit.blogspot.com/
Idle Hands
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2007 10:03:09 PM »

Something my aunt made for my mom several decades ago was a quilted hook holder and a quilted knitting needle holder.  Basically the inside had a flap go halfway up with vertical stitching to keep the needles/hooks seperated and organized.  The back portion was much taller than the needles so it flips over the top.  Then the holder is rolled left to right and there's ribbons sewn on one end to tie the holder closed.  If I see one of them this weekend I will take a pic to post.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What would you get if you crossed a goat and a sheep?
An animal that eats tin cans and gives back steel wool.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Are These 5 Women the Next Big Style Setters?
5 Great Prom Looks for Any Budget
Fashion Tips And Trends For Busy Moms
Are These New White Jeans Actually Resistant To Stains?
These Festival Outfits Are Everything!
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...