A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,947
Currently Running With Scissors:
442 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Please Help!! i need all information on Japan asap! thanks  (Read 1386 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

felly
19th October's the B.dae

the felly to the ellly

View Profile WWW
« on: December 04, 2005 06:47:27 PM »

Hi, i will be going to japan on the 20th of december.. i need all the information i can have regarding japan
I will be going to tokyo, osaka, fuji and not too sure where else

Please help me by posting information regarding shopping, crafty shops, shopping again, food?... n any other stuff

Thank you very much!! i love u ppl! Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FeLLy BeLLy MeLLy JeLLy KeLLy TeLLy *heart* Crafty

My Wists: http://www.wists.com/felly
Eilleillwy
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005 11:01:59 AM »

Make sure you go to Kyoto!  I've heard that's the most beautiful city in Japan.  And that's where there are LOTS and LOTS of arts, dance, geisha, etc.

How long will you be in Japan?

OH.  And I've also heard that if you shop in Tokyo, everything is way more expensive than anywhere else in the country...though everything is pretty expensive in Japan.  But I've heard that Tokyo is the worst!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
linur
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005 11:42:48 AM »

I've been to Tokyo twice, so I have some feeling for the town. I do have to say that it's a bit hard to say exactly where to go since the streets have no name, and the city is a bit hard to manouver. But that's a woderful thing since it's great to discover things all on your own.
So for a Craftster be sure to go to Tokyu Hands, its a big crafty departmentstore the largest one sitting in the Takashimaya Times Square-building in Shinjuku (there is a big one in Shibuya too)
The fabric stores are cheap (in swedish standards any hoo) I think there is a chain called Toa (short for toailette in Swedish, thats why I remember...)
For shopping I'd say Harajuku, Daikanyama, Shibuya. There is a ig kitshenwaretown close to the subwaysation before Ueno (coming from he center of town)
A tip on where you can do your reading up on tokyo today at http://metropolis.japantoday.com/default.asp (in english)
and on the art scene at http://www.tokyoartbeat.com/ (also english)
And I als think you should go to Kyoto, it's beautiful

oh, I don't think this makes any sense, but I'm submiting it anyway...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pavlova
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005 03:52:18 PM »

i'll agree with linur; tokyu hands is good and the rest of the areas recommended for shopping are good.
i'm half japanese and i've been to toyko with my mum, but i couldn't find anywhere with cheapish yarn. hump. however,  i did go to this supermarket/mall in kyushu(a different island altogether where my grandpa lives) and i found some cheapish yarn, but at that time i'd only just begun knitting so didn't buy enough.

i'm going this xmas again, but my mum's refused to be my tour guide this time, so i really need to find out what to do before i go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pavlovasworld.blogspot.com
my irregularly updated blog.
poppysmum

Mei has arrived! Pic ASAP...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005 06:11:45 PM »

3 words: KYOTO, KYOTO, KYOTO! If you go around the 25th they have their main market. AMAZING! You'll have to ask about it once you arrive though 'cause the streets really do have no names!

Get a rail pass, through your travel agent BEFORE YOU LEAVE for Japan. You can't get them once you are here & it will save you sooooo much money. This way you can just jump on a train & go exploring.

Don't be afraid to approach people for help. The Japanese people are so lovely & even though there might be a language problem you'd be surprised how many people can speak basic English. Get yourself a small language dictionary that you can point to phrases in & you will have covered your bases language wise.

As for food, try everything! You must, if you can, eat home made / everyday food. Soooo good. And Sushi! You may think you've already eaten this at home but until you eat it in Japan, made with Japanese hands... Tongue

Shopping has pretty much been covered, no matter how much money you have you'll still want more, more, more! Go to the 100 yen shops, FANTASTIC!

Japan is a fabulous country full of the most friendly people you'll ever meet. Have a GREAT time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fairyprincessbeaniebaby
"Nobody's ever asked me to a party before, as a friend! Is that why you dyed your eyebrow, for the party? Should I do mine, too?" -Luna Lovegood

thats right. l saw THE ROLLING STONES in concert!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005 06:45:28 PM »

ok with all countries where there is a dramatic difference between your everyday food and thier everyday food, make sure you buy some of those tablets that  stop the reaction, i think there kinda like travel sickness tablets, but ask your pharmacist/chemist/doctor about them HAVE A GREAT TIME!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'd find the prettiest boy in school, take him home and neatly f**k him "
 -David Bowie
"Whether your browning, searing, or just setting things on fire a kitchen blowtorch is fun for the whole family!"
-Tom, QEftSG
http://www.piczo.com/ireallyfancypirates

Lover of all things kitch, retro, and
felly
19th October's the B.dae

the felly to the ellly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005 12:22:25 AM »

thanks guys so much! i'll bel eaving tomorrow night and coming back on the 28th..

Thanks lots..
Felly
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FeLLy BeLLy MeLLy JeLLy KeLLy TeLLy *heart* Crafty

My Wists: http://www.wists.com/felly
radish_spirit
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2006 09:07:40 PM »

Man, i was in Japan during december too!, i should have come here and read all this before i went!
oh well now i know for next time, but yeah harajuku is really awesome and dont under estimate the power of the 100 yen shops!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Backstage at Zadig & Voltaire
Popular Demand Founder Blake Ricciardi Talks Success of Streetwear Brand
Style Sound Off: Jennifer Lopez, Sandra Bullock & Kim Kardashian
Snoop Dogg Aka Snoop Lion on Making Music With His Sons
Paris Street Style in 90 Seconds
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...