A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,680
Currently Running With Scissors:
457 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help me make this Scarf! Please!  (Read 1968 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Wandering Knitter

The Jellyfish is happy to see you

View Profile WWW
« on: December 04, 2005 12:22:33 PM »

Story time.

I'm part of an International Scarf Exchange at the moment. It's really cool and people should join in the next one ANYWAY! The point is I really, really, REALLY like this scarf someone weaved for the exchange and I would like to learn how to make my own.

So my question is what do I need and what do I need to learn in order to make a scarf like this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hyerac
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005 02:53:35 PM »

The picture's not working...  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Carleigh
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005 03:18:15 PM »

hmm yeah the pictures wierd. But get this: when I right click it the click on properties, and go to the link it give, it shows it fine, and then when I come back to the post it shows the picture even though it would before!!! I've seen that happen a lot, too. *shakes head in confusion* Unfortunatly I have no help for you, becuase what I thought at first was knitting was weaving! oops. Sorry I couldn't help. But now maybe other could now that I've figured out the picture problem? its a pretty scarf.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
annalou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005 05:32:22 PM »

First, the good news:  the scarf appears to be done in plain weave, which can be produced many different ways.  So, before I launch into too many explainations, allow me to ask a question: would you like to be able to make other items beyond scarves (if yes, what else)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When's the last time you were inspired?
Wandering Knitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005 06:18:12 PM »

Considering all the other addictions I have I'm thinking of keeping myself to just weaving rectangles at the moment. I'm thinking scarves, belts, and possibly rectangles long and wide enough to sew into purses.

And the picture is acting odd for me too. The heck?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annalou

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005 08:20:08 PM »

In addition to the yarn used in the scarf, you'll need a loom of some sort.  In one style of weaving, the loom has a frame that holds tension on the yarn.  In another manner of weaving, you are a part of the loom, holding the tension yourself, with your body.  If you think you'll be interrupted often or will need to be able to put your weaving down/away quickly, you'll probably want a frame loom.

Are you interested in creating your own loom?  I can give more details if you're interested in that route.  If not, I'd suggest looking in "educational toy" stores for something like the Harrisville Easy Weaver:
http://www.harrisville.com/html/ewa_ewb.html
or, for a "backstrap loom" kit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wandering Knitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005 08:42:45 PM »

Oh yes, a frame-loom sounds just like I need. Considering I have about three different projects going no matter what I'll need to be able to put it down.

And I would LOVE to find out how to make one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annalou

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005 10:10:33 PM »

Update:  here are 2 sets of plans.  I'm still looking for the plans/description I've seen which I think will be best for something of length, like a scarf, but these are something to look at for now:
http://www.hallnet.com/build.html
http://www.marlamallett.com/loom.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annalou

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005 02:33:03 PM »

An update:  still not able to locate the website I remember; so, I may need to write out the instructions as best I can . . .
In order to weave something the length of a scarf, you'll either need a really long loom (the length of your scarf plus some extra distance)--which isn't the most practical option--or a loom that holds the extra length of yarn (extra beyond what the working area of the loom holds).

One option for a loom that can hold the extra length of yarn is to build a frame loom similar to the ones I linked above, but warp it differently. (I am still hoping to find the website to describe this method.)

Another option is to build a frame loom with rollers on the ends that hold the extra length of yarn.  You have to be able to lock the rollers in place in order to weave.  Large dowels work as the rollers, and attaching them with screws is the simplest way that allows you to loosen and to lock them.  If this option sounds of interst, I can try to explain it better . . .

One other loom building option is one I've only seen in my head--may not be the best to attempt at the moment Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SakanaSea
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007 10:53:01 AM »

Oooh, Annalou, can you please explain more? Tongue I really want to build my own loom, but I have no idea how to go about making the rollers at the ends.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 9/12
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 5/12
How to Crochet a Puff Stitch Part 3/5
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 6/12
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 7/12
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...