A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 305,035
Currently Running With Scissors:
481 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: lion band suede please help  (Read 1050 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tennisgal86
« on: December 04, 2005 11:21:28 AM »

ok so i bought some of the lion brand suede yarn last night to make a christmas present (scarf) for my fiancee's aunt's gf (6 degrees of seperation anyone) and i kept trying to get a color out of them and all they would tell me was black was her favorite color so I said ok if it needs to be black i'll try out a soft fun yarn.
needless to stay i've started over about 6 times now because I can't find a pattern that looks good with this yarn!  Angry  does anyone know anything that has worked with it? or should i just suck it up and return it to walmart in exchange for something else and does anyone know any good black yarns that are kind of funky to replace it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wandering Knitter

The Jellyfish is happy to see you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005 11:57:23 AM »

I was also once lured into buying Lion Brand Suede, and yes it is pretty icky when it comes to using it for a pattern. I was able to finally use mine by using it on one of those Knifty-Knitter looms. It's not half-bad when you use it on one of those.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elanora
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005 12:23:05 PM »

I used Suede to do a modified Spiral Scarf.  Because I didn't have a size 10 36' circular I bumped it up to an 11 and cut back the number of stitches I cast on, and boy am I glad!  It still took ages to cast off.  It took a little over 1 ball and I'm very pleased with the results. 

My arms were not long enough to get a good shot of the scarf, but that should give you an idea

Here's the pattern~
http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/kmm-spiralScarf.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
patriautism
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005 12:31:17 PM »

I too bought it and had to rip out several times. After it actually broke a few times---while knitting, not ripping---I gave up. I saw this new yarn at Wal-Mart that looked and felt like Patons Be Mine but it was in grown up colors, I know they had black. Maybe that stuff would be a good idea. I forget the name, but if it's there you'll see it, the displays were huge at my store. I also really really like Moda Dea Dream for stuff that look a bit funky but not gaudy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lylyfai

Multi-Crafter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005 01:24:17 PM »

I used the chocolate color LBS for this:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=32972.0

Haven't finished lining it...but the cables are GORGEOUS...the LBS made them really pop. I wouldn't use anything else with it now.  A few folks have seen them unfinished and are frothing to have one of their own.

The LBS reminds me of cotton..no stretch...you just have to use loose tension with it. It is also great for this if you crochet:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=63118.msg598052#msg598052

Plus it is great for fringe on anything! As far as black goes...I wouldn't know...never touch that particular color...makes me look like I've been dead for at least a year Tongue

Hope you find something that works for you Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

145 dependents and counting=
139 dolls, 3 cats, 1 lost Hubby & Roland!
Preppin' for Ro's 3rd Bday- theme=Helicoptors!
http://www.adoptionsbygladney.com (Thank you!)
Frew-Frew
Caution: Eye Irritant

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005 06:10:40 PM »

That stuff is the bane of my existence. I hate, hate, hate it. When the revolution comes, the creator of that yarn should be first up against the wall. That aside.....

I just got done doing a hideous poncho for my beloved, yet abysmally tasteless mother. It was done mostly in stockinette, but there were sections that were lacy, a really simple, yo, k2tog across the rs rows and purl on the WS rows, that ended up looking really nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chuck Norris does not knit. He bangs the table, and the shockwaves force the yarn to create clothing.

http://frousworld.blogspot.com/
lasandri
originator of the term "crackster", as in craftster is like crack.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005 11:36:32 PM »

i made my mom snb's loopy velez cowl and it came out lovely especially with the loop stitch...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tennisgal86
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005 02:32:16 PM »

thanks everyone, i ended up giving up on the suede and bought the bernat softee chunky yarn in black i made the scarf on size 10 1/2's with a moss stich and it looked really nice, i'd post a picture but it's hard to get a good photo showing the pattern on the black yarn. i deffinately suggest this yarn as an alternative for anyone looking for a soft but still chunky kind of basic yarn. i just bout a ton to make a pink and gray blanket.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Duckie

Fifty-seven academics just punched the air.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2005 06:07:29 PM »

I made a shrug in Softee Chunky. Just a warning, it can tend to pill and frizz (if that makes sense - a mohair-like halo, except not so pretty).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spirals420
I swear to the stars... I'll burn this whole city down

turn it up, so you know it's got soul... jellyroll

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2005 06:13:49 PM »

i love softee chunky!! i am using it right now for a scarf... and i just finished using it for another scarf... and one before that... and 3 shrugs and yeah.. i liek it alot.. its got great mileage and knits up real fast... the shrug that i made from it a year ago is a little worn looking (the pill, frizz thing) but i wore it pretty much every day since i made it... so im ok with that....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Asian-Style Chicken Noodle Soup
How to Prepare Indian Spiced Rice Salad
How to Cook Barbecued Lime and Lemon Grass Pork
How to Cook Mini Lamb Satays
How to Cook Chinese Pancakes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...