A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,803
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cute handbags made out of wrappers! <3  (Read 39632 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

smashysmashy
« on: December 03, 2005 11:04:24 PM »

click: http://www.ecoist.com/index.asp Smiley

sorry my thread isnt as exciting as it sounds. does anybody know how i would make these? lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
justxlove
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005 11:33:22 PM »

probably about the same way you would go about making gum/starburst wrappers. its pretty simple and theres tons of tutorial on here if you just search for them. just instead of going one way make it go from all sides. and then just sewing some lining and a zipper and handle on. pretty easy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sure shes got everything ive got gadgets and gizmos  of plenty ive got whozits and whatzits galore you want thingamabobs ive got twenty but who cares no big deal i want more
llamalu
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005 04:33:14 PM »

i am also looking for a pattern on how to make a purse like that. the tutorials on this site show only how to make a gum/starburst wrapper "chain"-how do you add rows on top of one another?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
d
princesshammerhead

Treat people how you like to be treated!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005 06:31:56 PM »

I have made a ton of purses out of candy wrappers. See 'Oh Henry' at left. I don't weave it, I just make fabric out of it. Either with clear packing tape or clear contac paper and then fold it into a purse. I use velcro to close and make the handle out of duct tape. It's super easy. Pm me with any questions, I'd be happy to help. Smiley Smiley Smiley

Sorry changed my avatar! lol d
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005 06:56:40 PM by d » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If only closed minds came with closed mouths!

If the world is getting smaller, why do postage rates keep going up?

http://princesshammerhead.blogspot.com/

Personal swap anyone?
CrazeeMoi
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005 01:57:04 PM »

not exactly how to do it ....but might help give you an idea on how to
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_occasions_december/article/0,1789,HGTV_3270_2398541,00.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CosmicCarrot
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005 12:38:44 PM »

i also have wanted to know how to make those things forever, i know how to do the single chain but how the heck are you supposed to attach them together?? you have NO IDEA how much time i've spent trying to figure it out......i have a wee bit too much spare time on my hands.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

there's plastic on the furniture to keep it neat and clean,
in the pine sol-scented air, somewhere that's green...
Vanilli
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005 05:50:02 PM »

A lot of these look like they're just woven bags done at an angle instead of straight up-and-down. There's a post on here about weaving magazines to make one like that... I'll see if I can make something in the next week that resembles the likes of that link. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Present has no future
The future has no past
The past is just a graveyard
For the lonely ghost regeret
It's so hard to say good-bye
When I shake too much to hold
Let this blood within me run
So I can see the answers dry
RX Bandits
ashamanic
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005 10:18:26 PM »

ya know, if you really want one - you could buy one from this crafty lady (I assume she's a lady, but I honestly have no clue)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Woven-Candy-Wrapper-Eyeglass-Pencil-Case-15_W0QQitemZ6829445646QQcategoryZ63852QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting  She sells them for WAYYYYY cheaper than ecoist.org -for around 18 bucks or so.

But if you are like me, and are ridiculously d.i.y even if it ends up costing more -then you have two options.

OPTION 1:
You can make paper chains, so that they form a circle (there are plenty of tutes on here for that, or see the link for the napkin ring, above) and then sew them together with transparent nylon thread, and then sew the whole piece to liner, add a zip and go for it.  Use a plastic needle if you can find one, so you don't make ugly gashes in the foil or paper you use... or just be careful not to if you use a regular needle....

OPTION 2:
basket weave all the wrappers, here's a tute for how do to that:
http://www.wrights.com/class/kidscrafts/wovenbasket/wovenbasket.htm
Just ignore all the dimensions, and create it to the size you want it to be.   Use glue to make long strips of the wrappers. 

After I finish off my holiday cards, I'll try my hand at the first method.  The second method has worked for me plenty of times -but I've never used candy wrappers.

I'll probably use foil wrap or magazine strips because I have no idea how to acquire enough wrappers -and I'm not so sure there's a candy wrapper printer near me, that would readily give them away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
athena404
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006 07:50:17 PM »

i also have wanted to know how to make those things forever, i know how to do the single chain but how the heck are you supposed to attach them together?? you have NO IDEA how much time i've spent trying to figure it out......i have a wee bit too much spare time on my hands.

ahh! ive always wanted to know how to weave them together too!
the chaining part is easy but the weaving together part is a mystery!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Avian Flight
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006 08:07:45 PM »

Are you sure they're woven? I used to know a way to fold the wrappers like oragami and each piece would attach to each other. It forms a pattern that looks like the ones on the bag. However, the way I knew only made chains so I don't know how they attached everything together. Sorry. Looks cool though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chicken Brine
Making Lamb Stew With Root Vegetables
How to Make Grilled Cheese Sandwich
How to Make Egg and Cheese Sandwich
How to Make Grilled Sandwiches - Rueben Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...