A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,209
Currently Running With Scissors:
551 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: GARGH!!! Seed Stitch!!!!  (Read 788 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

miss_katonic
« on: December 03, 2005 10:50:58 AM »

Ok, I can knit.  I can purl.  But for some reason I can't seed stitch (or Moss stitch to all of you Brits)! I've been practicing on on straight needles, and after days of frustration the best I can get is something that looks like 1-1 rib stitch.  It is infuriating I tell you! Put the yarn in front, put it in the back...ugh!  For some reason seed stitch makes me feel like a bumbling fool.  Ah..well just had to vent; it's been all bottled up and I've had no one to complain to since Craftster's been down and I have no friends who knit. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mizuiro
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005 12:32:15 PM »

With seed stitch, I just try to remember if I end a row with a purl, I start the next row with a purl.  Same with a knit stitch.
Make sure you cast on an even number of stitches too.  Once you have it down it's damn handy.  It lays flat and it's reversible. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Got Blog?  So do I:  http://yeahiknit.blogspot.com/
ermellina
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005 01:27:18 PM »

Do the opposite of what you see: If you're going into a knit, purl it. If you're going into a purl, knit it.

It's tedious, but as mizuiro stated, it's very handy....especially when making blankets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JoyceAnna Memory Works Independent Consultant #462
http://designdolcezza.etsy.com
trisarahtop
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005 09:25:49 PM »

I do that sometimes if I'm doing a project in the round, I forget which I need to do. Like someone else said, you just have to do the opposite of what you're knitting... purl a knit, knit a purl. It's a little confusing at first I think, but my favorite stitch by far!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005 01:41:36 AM by trisarahtop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just have a few words: nitwit, blubber, oddment, tweak.
miss_katonic
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005 10:42:03 PM »

Well I've gotten an inch and a half into my Lil Devil hat and my seed stitch is looking fine. I always feel good about mastering something I had a really hard time with! I do love the way it looks- thanks for the tips!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitknit
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005 09:54:00 AM »

I usually will do an odd number, so that way i just remember that every row starts with a knit.   It's more mindless that way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisascenic
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005 11:18:04 PM »

I hate seed stitch because

1, it always seems to be called for on projects with teeny weinie gauge, and
2, it takes so much moving around of the yarn to accomplish so little knitting
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fluffyhelen

<3 etsy&craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005 01:47:21 PM »

I love the seed stitch, mmmmm..
I learnt how to do it from here:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/

I think I watched the video about 20 times with needles and wool in front of me before it finally clicks.  It will come, it's one of the harder beginner stitches to learn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ms.Snit

I knit therefore I am...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005 02:26:14 PM »

I hate seed stitch because

1, it always seems to be called for on projects with teeny weinie gauge, and
2, it takes so much moving around of the yarn to accomplish so little knitting

Well, I dont' "hate" the seed stitch, but I do find it irritating at times.  I do, however, like the way it looks at the end, so perhaps (?) all that infront/behind/infrontagain/behindagain yarnage is worth it.

I usually will do an odd number, so that way i just remember that every row starts with a knit.   It's more mindless that way.

This is a clever way to get around your problem, miss_katonic.

As an alternative, I have a lil something I often do to keep track of simple 2 row patterns.  Let me explain:

If, for example, I amnitting in stocking stitch, requiring me to alternate between knit and purl rows, and I happened to forget where the heck I amn the pattern and don't feel like staring at my stitches to find out, I would simply look at what side of my knitting the cast-on tail was at.  If it hangs from the bottom of the row I'm about to knit, it's RS (so I knit) and if it's at the top of the row I'm about to knit, it's WS (so I purl). 

Now take this example and just apply it to the first stitch of every row... begin your seed stitch work with (k1,p1) -- this first row is your RS...cast-on tail hangs from the bottom of the row when it's ready to be worked.  Tail's at the top of your row ready to be worked?  Then begin with a purl stitch.

Sorry if I just confused people more... hope that was understandable.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.spunmag.com - Not just knittin' pretty
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Photo Album Out of an Altoid Tin Part 1
How to Make a Photo Album Out of an Altoid Tin Part 2
How to Make a Photo Album Out of an Altoid Tin Part 3
Coping Molding
Coping Molding Basics
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Buffalo Spaghetti Squash
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...