A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,728
Currently Running With Scissors:
610 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simple, FAST Mesh Scarf.. w/ pattern!  (Read 3266 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aadttsm

Just Breathe...

View Profile WWW
« on: December 03, 2005 10:07:03 AM »

Took me 2 hours; great for Giftmas!

Divine in the "lavender" shade (fairly new), and Brilliant in the same color, two strands held together. on 17s. The sparkle is subtle and the fluff of the Divine covers the little bit of scratchiness that Brilliant's metallic glitter has.

It's Mesh Stitch, only slightly different (as I realized when working a swatch to remember what I'd done). Mesh stitch is done with an odd number of stitches cast on. It's K1, *YO, K2tg*, except I knit into the back of the stitch. I'm not sure what the usual way looks like, I like doing it that way because it's easier for me 'cause it's a thinner knit, it's faster, and I think the little bit of "twist" looks good.

This one was made with nine stitches. I recommend 9 stitches or higher, I did a lovely super-long one for my beau in 7 stitches but the drape isn't as nice.
Cast on 9, and then the first row was:
Knit 1 into the back of the stitch.
*Yarn over.
Knit next 2 stitches together, in the back of the stitch.*
Repeat 'til end of row.
The next row is the same, with the YO and the k2tg repeated. This time you'll be knitting together a YO and a knit stitch.

Voila. Once you do like four rows, you have it memorized and it goes from there. I did this one during a class while we were watching a movie, so.. in the dark. Whee. (though the first time I started it, I was doing it during Rocky Horror and I messed up.. I blame the flying popcorn)

Here's the warning: It is almost impossible to pick the stitches back up if you drop one or mess up. I discovered that when I had to frog the entire thing and start over. So either use lifelines or plan on doing it in one sitting, when you're supposed to be paying attention to something. ;-) I counted my stitches every row the second time in total paranoia.

Also note: Brilliant makes terrible fringe unless you put little knots in the end of each strand, because it unravels. Divine is great for fringe, it's very tightly spun.

Happy Knitting!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011 12:26:24 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Xiuxiu
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005 10:20:42 AM »

I love the color and the yarn.
Looks very adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

haakstad
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005 11:48:56 AM »

Beautiful!  I have a wack of orange divine, and I want to do something in the purple, too.  This looks perfect! (and I'm a combined knitter, so I love knitting through the back loop).  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Scream-a-little
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005 11:53:22 AM »

looks fabulous!! the way i get this pattern is as long as you have a multiple of 3 as your total # of stitches.. you are set to go!!! not too long ago i did this stitch as a poncho... it sort of looked like a fish net but i love it.. thanks for sharing the pattern!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One shoe can change your life"   Cinderella
aadttsm

Just Breathe...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005 04:54:59 PM »

"the way i get this pattern is as long as you have a multiple of 3 as your total # of stitches.. you are set to go!!!"

Actually, as long as it's an odd number, you're good!  I made one with 7 stitches that came out a little thin (but that's what the beau asked for)...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Highlight and Contour Your Abs
How To Make Blackhead-Removing Mask
Missing Beauty Products From the U.S.
A Frizz-Free Braid That’s Perfect for Summer
How to Fix a Smudged Nail
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...