A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,163
Currently Running With Scissors:
417 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: More pretty blues....  (Read 2167 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

countrygal
« on: December 03, 2005 04:50:17 AM »

I really loved the first bracelet that I posted in the jewelry craftalong, I thought it was my favorite...until I finished this one last night.  Hope you like:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/mries/new%20jewelry/HPIM0884.jpg
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010 06:31:19 PM by TheSapphireMoon - Reason: to remove broken images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
floridadreamin5
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005 06:38:01 AM »

I love  the bracelet its beautiful, wish I could do that . I have trouble making the loops at the top of the beads to fasten them onto the chain, they come out all different sizes . Love  the color , great work.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
megadethkicksass
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005 06:43:27 AM »

thats really pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fingertip
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005 07:47:32 AM »

ooo, that is soo gorgeous and dreamy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The End.
Ayn
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005 01:18:01 PM »

Hi all -- oh my my my I agree, lovely colors, looks like great workmanship too.

I myself have *zero-zilch* patience with putting lots of looped stuff on chain -- it absolutely makes me nuts. SO much so that a few months ago when I was desperately in need of a bracelet similar to that but in browns & sterling, I paid a fellow jewelrymaker 75 bucks for one she'd done ... lol!

~~ floridadreamin5 --
Do not feel bad!  Do not feel like 'The Lone Stranger'! We've alllll been there too!

First of all, making nice wire or headpin loops often takes quite a bit of practice (most especially for hand/eye-coordination-challenged people like me!).

Second, remember you're doing hand-made items so some variance is perfectly okay. In fact it's often *desirable* simply because it's a hallmark of handmade.  Only machines make stuff always-totally-identical, right?

Third, especially for making simple loops out of wire instead of headpins :
try "half-hard" wire, which is usually easier to work with than full-hard or dead-soft (assuming you may have been using one of those).

Fourth, sometimes it helps to try either "slightly thinner" or "slightly thicker" headpins or wire than what you've been using.
With wire, this would mean either a slightly-higher gauge number (i.e., slightly-thinner wire) or a slightly-lower gauge number (i.e., slightly-thicker wire).
With headpins though, at least, here in the US : Instead of gauge numbers, for some strange reason a fractional-inch measurement is very often used. That's 'opposite' to the way gauge numbers work: the higher-number fraction means slightly-thicker, the lower-number fraction means slightly-thinner. Just for example, a .028" headpin would be slightly thicker than a .025" headpin.

Fifth -- you 'are' using *roundnose pliers* for making headpin/wire loops, right? [forgive me if that seems reeeallly obvious, lol]

Finally -- check the wire & headpin simple-loopmaking & wrapped-loopmaking tips & tutorial (including large clear illustrations) here:
http://www.beadfx.com/techniques/loops.htm

I have various books/mags plus numerous websites in my favorites file which try to show & explain the 2 loopmaking processes -- but that particular explanation is the clearest & simplest I've seen so far, The tips scattered through it are good too.

btw ... in the "simple loop" instructions I believe there's a metric measurement mentioned (beadFX is a Canadian source)  :  1 cm (centimeter) = about 3/8 of an inch. For most simple loops I think you could just call it 4/8 of an inch --- in other words, a half-inch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
countrygal
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005 09:53:51 AM »

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

I love  the bracelet its beautiful, wish I could do that . I have trouble making the loops at the top of the beads to fasten them onto the chain, they come out all different sizes . Love  the color , great work.  Smiley

I'm not sure what anyone else does, but I mark my round nose pliers with a Sharpie.  This helps me keep my loops "somewhat" even.  I know they're not all perfect, but it's like Ayn said, only machines can make stuff always identical.  And hey, I've seen some machines that can't even do that all the time.  Keep trying, you'll get it.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunnish
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005 10:33:19 AM »

I love this bracelet; you've chosen beautiful beads. I too find loops pretty hard, but practice makes... well, better. Smiley I know my loops are never the same but I just try to get them around the same size and hope no-one will notice! I like the Sharpie idea, countrygal, good idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iolite88
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005 12:32:18 AM »

I love how you mixed opaque/transparent beads in your bracelet!  And I'd definitely watch out for dainty heart shaped beads the next time I go to the bead shops.  So far I've seen them in large size and made into giant lanterns or lotus flower  Undecided

BTW, may I ask a silly question: is a Sharpie some permanent marker?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Ideals being sweeter than candy are just ideals"
     -- dead tree
Sweetmarie

a rose by any other name would smell just as sweet

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005 02:11:53 PM »

that is so pretty....i get so impatient making that many loops though. btw, sharpie= permanent marker
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sayryna
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005 08:41:03 PM »

That is gorgeous. I love the colour you have used.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit with Knitting Needles Part 2/4
How to Knit with Knitting Needles Part 4/4
How to Loom Knit a Holiday Stocking Part 1/12
How to Loom Knit a Holiday Stocking Part 12/12
How to Loom Knit a Holiday Stocking Part 2/12
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...