A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,503
Currently Running With Scissors:
595 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Christmas Party *help*!!!  (Read 653 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

itsnikki
« on: December 02, 2005 04:12:56 PM »

Ok. My hubby and I are having a Christmas party about a week before Christmas. And... I want to make sure the house looks nice and... festive for it.

The catch? We have no Christmas tree. I know... that could possibly be worked around, but I don't know how. I'm crocheting some snowflakes and hanging them around... maybe work in some lights or something, but we don't have much money at all, and really can't afford a tree and ornaments, plus we really don't have the room for one. Well... we have the room for a small one, and I have one. Unfortunately, it's at my grandmother's house, which is two hours away, and we can't really afford to go over there right now.

So... do y'all have any pretty, cute ideas for a Wintery/Christmassy decor? I really don't know what to do.

Oh, and another question... what would y'all suggest for the food? I know Chex Mix, because everyone seems to like it (I know I do!), but I know just Chex Mix won't be enough, and it'll be about 8 people coming. I'm also thinking of some kind of punch. But I don't know. Everytime I think about this, I keep making it more expensive than we can afford.

I would really appretiate y'alls suggestions/imput/whatever. Thank you. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stupid people do stupid things, smart people outsmart each other.

My LJ

-Add me to your livejournal, and I'll add you back!!
yawningyak
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005 04:24:34 PM »

I don't have many ideas, but if you have a JoAnn's by you, tomorrow holiday arrangements, bushes & floral picks are 70% off.  You could do a lot with evergreen garland & cheap lights ($1.49 for 100-ct light sets).  You could also make paper garland, popcorn garland, paper snowflakes (like when you were a kid) but then use it to decorate in a more elegant manner.  Or use old christmas cards (if you held on to them) to make ornaments.   

Whatever you go with, I hope you have fun with it! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
halfjackd
Confusing people since 1978

The attention just encourages her.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005 06:47:51 PM »

For snack foods you could make up a few batches of cookies...there's tons of recipes out there that use minimal ingredients.  You could buy boxes of wheat and flavored crackers from the dollar store and spruce them up with dip made of onion soup mix (like Lipton's) and a package of cream cheese (just mix them together like you would if you were making dip with sour cream) 

I found a cute ornament idea somewhere...don't remember where...

You thin down white glue with water, wrap colorful yarn around a balloon randomly and then dip in the glue mixture.  Brush off the excess and allow to dry.  When dry, pop the balloon and pull it out...you've got a nifty looking ornament for next to nothing.  You could string these together garland style and weave lights through them, or they would make cheap, interesting party favors.

I've done parties on a non-existant budget before and know how stressful it can be.  Just remember that conversation and good music is a great party booster.  Try not to stress and have a great time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If all else fails, hide.  It works for bunnies.

My blog:
Chaotic Crafter

26/100 ATCs completed for the 100 Theme Challenge
d
princesshammerhead

Treat people how you like to be treated!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005 08:08:52 PM »

Try using candles as your main light source. they create a lot of shadows and will emphasize the minimal decorations. Go with ones that have a shristmas scent. If you don't want to buy scented candles, put a few drops of vanilla or your favorite scent on light bulbs, as the bulb heats the room smells good.d
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If only closed minds came with closed mouths!

If the world is getting smaller, why do postage rates keep going up?

http://princesshammerhead.blogspot.com/

Personal swap anyone?
dansk
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005 10:23:24 PM »

Here is my idea on how to make a christmas tree very cheaply. This will use a plant or lighting fixture hook in the ceiling.

Cut out a big circle from cardboard or foamcore. Make it the size of the largest lower part of the tree.

Attach lengths of curling ribbon (spools of that are cheap and you can get it anywhere) evenly spaced around the outside of the circle. Pull all of the loose ends of the ribbon together and tie a knot, hang from the hook in the ceiling.

You can even put empty boxes wrapped as presents on top of the cardboard circle before you pull all of the ribbons together around it to weigh the bottom down. There may be better ways to do this, but this is what I came up with! Here is a little sketch:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Modern Hairstyles
How to Do a Half Up Hairstyle
How to Use Egg as Hair Conditioner
How to Treat Dry Hair
How to Curl Your Hair Extensions
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...