A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 305,440
Currently Running With Scissors:
466 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: snaps??  (Read 1005 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: November 29, 2005 11:30:37 AM »

Can someone please tell me how to attach snaps .I cant remember the name of them but it comes with four pieces two go on one side and two on the other and they all look different I cant understand the manufactors instructions for nothing in this world??? Huh
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005 08:07:20 PM »

I think you're talking about simple metal snaps.   I use a tool that looks kind of like a weird set of pliers or a big weird hole-punch.  I bought the tool at Wal-Mart for 7 ot 8 bucks. 

I am selling my crafty things to raise some money to go towards my adoption costs!

You can find my stuff for sale at:

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006 09:04:51 PM »

do you mean the magnetic snaps? There's actually a tutorial for doing that in the 'Purses, Bags, Wallets / General - completed projects'

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006 05:20:07 AM »

not the magnetic snaps those ones that come in fours ?? If i can find a pic I will post it
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006 05:34:23 PM »

I use a low-tech hammer.  LOL

There are 4 pieces to the snap, right?  One with a knob, one with a hole, and two pieces with 4 prongs on them?  If they're this kind, then this is what I do:

Mark the positions of the snaps.  The two pronged pieces are exactly the same- one goes with the knob piece and the other goes with the hole piece.

Snap the knob and the hole together to make sure you're using the right sides of both pieces.  Then unsnap them.  Keep track of the right side of the hole piece (mark it with a piece of tape or something.)

Do all this on a hammer-proof surface!  Take one of the pronged pieces and push it through the fabric from the wrong side to the right side, where you marked your snap.  Then align one of the non-pronged pieces on the right side with the prongs that are sticking through the fabric.  You should be able to feel the pieces kinda "click" into place.  Hammer them together.  Not too hard, especially on the knob part, but enough to bend those prongs inside the outside piece.

Repeat the process with the other pronged piece and the other non-pronged piece.  Usually, I put the hole side of the snap on the body of the bag or wallet or whatever, and the knob part of the snap on the flap.

If you're using a pearlized decorative snap, then all the pieces are different, but the procedure is the same.  Just keep an eye on where you want the decorative snap to show.  Let me know if this is too confusing, and I can post pics if you like.

Check out my Etsy store!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006 12:10:58 PM »

I use the kind without prongs... there are 4 pieces.  one is the flat button like one for the outside, with a post.  One is just a round (female) receiver, one is a flat circle with a prong, and one is another receiver (male) round with a base.  Is this the kind you have?  If so, I can help you with that.  I think they are called line 20 snaps.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006 05:20:53 AM »

yes yes  can you please tell me how to apply them?Huh?
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006 08:06:43 AM »

well.. first off you need the setter, do you have the setter?
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006 05:48:23 AM »

it came with a small tool thing
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006 09:02:28 AM »

OK.. the photos are absolutely crappy, but I will try, also Look here- and click on "click to enlarge"-  http://www.zelikovitz.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=411
so we have a better reference ....

so there are your 4 pieces to the snap, these are the ones you have, yes?  Lets call them #1-4, #1 being the first piece on the left, which is the "bottom", and #4 being the last one on the right, which is the "top". 

Take your fabric, or whatever you are attaching the snap to, and put two holes where you want the bottom, and the top of the snap to be.  like this

Then, to put the bottom snap on, you take piece #1 and put it in the setting tool you have.  (the round piece of the setting tool)  notice one side of the round setting tool has a bump on it, and one side is smooth.  you put peice #1 on the side that has the bump.  Like this 

Then, you put your fabric on top of that piece, poking the post through the hole you made,  then you put piece #2 on top of that post, over the fabric, so that it is a sandwich.  Take the long setting tool, and put it on the top of the post that is sticking out, and hammer.  Like this  

Now you do the top.. turn the round part of the setter over, so that you have the smooth side, and put piece #4 in that.  Again, the post should be sticking up.  Flip your fabric over so you are looking at the underside.  Put the fabric over the post, and put piece #3 on top.  Hammer.  Like this

Now both sides are hammered on, it should look like this   then close it and snap shut.  like this .  Excuse the stupid example, I was just trying to do something quickly.  Let me know if it doesn't make sense!!  good luck.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lior Lev Secarez: Serving Innovation
Cuban Sandwiches: Use Your Leftover Pork Roast
How to Make Delicious Burgers
How to Make Donuts
How to Make Pete’s ‘Combo’ Pizza
Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...