A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,601
Currently Running With Scissors:
515 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Super Smelly Pinecones?  (Read 417 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« on: December 06, 2005 07:08:31 AM »

So, living in North Carolina, I've got a ready supply of pinecones for crafting.  The other day I was in a craft/decor store and they were selling sacks of SUPER SMELLY (in a good way) pinecones. I'm wondering if any of you have scented your own pinecones & if I do this, will thy be as potent as the ones retailers hawk at this time of the year....I'm hoping to match the scent potency, but I'm wondering which of these methods (or others) will produce the strongest scent:
1) Coating with glue/water and covering with ground spices
2) Coating with wax that's had scented oil dumped in it
3) applying essential oil directly to dried pinecones (proponents of this method advise sealing pinecones in air-tightish sacks and letting the scent develop...it's supposed to get stronger the longer it's in the bag, but there's also the suggestion to seal them up when not on display to preserve the scent....
4) Huh?
Especially interested in hearing from those of you who may have tried more than one way of scenting pinecones.
Thanks! 
ntial oil directly to dried pinecones (proponents of this method advise sealling pinecones in air-tightis sacks and letting the scent develop...it's supposed to get strongr the longer it's in the bag, but there's also the suggestion to seal them up when not on display to preserrve the scent....
4) Huh?
especially interested in hearing from those of you who may have tried more than one way of scenting pinecones.
Thanks! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005 10:12:39 AM »

You can soak pinecones in heavily scented water and then dry them out you can also make colorful flames in the fireplace or campfire with pinecones saturated with substances in this fashion for instance borax water (can't remember what color borax makes) might go look for that and report back later Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005 10:41:18 AM »

You can soak pinecones in heavily scented water and then dry them out you can also make colorful flames in the fireplace

kewl. I'm mostly hoping to use them as giant potpourri but the prospect of colorful flames might be incentive enough for my boy to finally get a large piece of furniture out from in front of our fireplace!

I've got a box of borax...what other things can I use (assuming different things make different colors).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005 03:30:48 PM »

COLOR                 CHEMICAL                                           WHERE FOUND

red/orange        calcium (pure)

red                   boric acid(used in soap&cosmetic making)       pharmacy

blue                  calcium chloride (powder bleach pure)           laundry aisle

yellow               sodium chloride(table salt)                            grocery store

yellow/green      borax                                                        laundry aisle

green                copper sulfate                                            pool supply
                        alum (used in pickling)                                 spice aisle

purple               potassium chloride(salt substitute)                 spice aisle

white               magnesium sulfate(epsom salts)                    pharmacy
                                                                                      first aid aisle

violet       mix   3 parts potassium sulfate(fertilizer)                  garden supply
                      1 part  potassium nitrate(salt peter)                pharmacy

There are other chemicals that make colors but I consider them to be too toxic to bother discussing.  These are still chemicals so I would suggest using them only in indoor fireplaces that pull a good draft just to be sure.  Also keep them away from children and pets likely to chew on or mouth these.  Do not mix any chemical solutions (you will not get multi color effects) if you want that burn several cones from different batches, also you will need more cones the larger your fire gets and it is unlikely to show at all in a large bonfire.  OK on to how to do it.

wear gloves and safety glasses (why not?)
  dissolve chemical in enough water to cover cones until it can't absorb more
  ( you will see a few crystals on bottom that just won't dissolve) you can add
  some white glue to the water at this point if you like (no more than 1 part
  glue to 7 parts water) but I don't think it is necessary.  put cones in mesh
  bag and soak overnight.  drain, dry (probably take a few days) at this point i
  would dip the tips of the cones in colored wax for the flame  color expected.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005 04:42:44 PM »

Wow...fun with chemicals.  I'll give this a try eventually...it's next on the list after making smelly (in a goodway) pinecones cuz right now my house is stinky (in a bad way)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

InkFaery
Fae to the Izz-ank

The truth is, I've always been a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005 04:48:33 PM »

Wow, I'm bookmarking this one. Thanks for the chart of colors...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Someday you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Katie Holmes Shows Collection at NYFW
Top 3 NFL Looks For Women
Style Sound Off: The Brits Go Head-To-Head
How to Do Metallic Fashion
Shakira: Steal Her Style
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...