A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
381 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Other crafters vs you! ♥  (Read 475 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Effylicious
« on: December 05, 2005 12:39:11 PM »

Now, I absolutely adore looking at the work of other crafters, especially those who sell their creative wares--but at the same time, I hate it. I hate it because once I see something-- especially something I was planning to make-- being sold, I know that if I try to make it and sell it (as I do with my crafts), I'll get jumped on for ripping the person off.

Am I the only person bothered by this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a moment of silence, please, for those who never had the chance, they show up to a partybut they're never asked to dance, the losers, the liars, the bastards, the theives, the cynicists, the pessimists, and those who don't believe in nothing...
Nikki Knacks

Great scott! 1.21 Jiggawatts!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005 03:01:38 PM »

I know it's awful. You come up with what you think is an original idea and 3 months later some celeb is selling it on some talk show...I think it's like maybe 50 people thought of the same thing at the same time and one just happened to have the means to get it out into the population before all the others.

It's like I saw the other day some one was trying to put a patent on the letter 'A' seriously thats just stupid.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maybe I'm normal and it's everyone else that crazy....
Effylicious
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005 05:35:39 PM »

That's pretty bad too x.x

My main problem is when another crafter, especially a crafster, sells the item I just thought of, because it ruins it for me. Why can't we all just get along and not assume everyone is stealing ideas?  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a moment of silence, please, for those who never had the chance, they show up to a partybut they're never asked to dance, the losers, the liars, the bastards, the theives, the cynicists, the pessimists, and those who don't believe in nothing...
LRS
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005 06:41:36 AM »

I see the whole point of Craftster as sharing ideas and encouraging one another.  Just because someone else did it, that shouldn't stop you from making something.  Obviously, you shouldn't try to sell an exact copy.  But your materials, your twist on the idea, your details will show up in your work.

In general, people don't own ideas.  How many people sold Martha Stewart ponchos?  How many are selling bowls made from vinyl records? 

The only time I'm concerned about copying is when I'm using a copyrighted pattern like a commercial sewing pattern, or a copyrighted crochet or knitting pattern.  But if I was interested in making a woven magazine bag, I would see the posts on Craftster as inspiration and I'd go right ahead and sell it. 

After all, people are always looking for ways to copy things from Anthropologie, Urban Outfitters, etc.  They're not ripping them off. They're inspired by them.

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy.com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.com
Effylicious
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005 11:45:48 AM »

LRS--

I totally agree with you, that is the IDEAL of this place. My point is that many times, it's not that at all. It makes me sad how nontrusting people are of their fellow crafters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold an Origami Heart
How to Fold an Origami Ninja Star
How to Fold Money into an Origami Shirt
How to Make an Origami Fish
How to Create an Origami Lily
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...