A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,747
Currently Running With Scissors:
453 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: XMas Gift for Young Newbie Knitter?  (Read 1171 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

twowishes

I am the warden of PUPPY JAIL.

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2005 01:32:24 PM »

Last night I found out that my 9-year-old niece has learned how to knit and is already becoming hooked.  As a supporter of all crafty endeavors, of course I immediately knew what her Christmas gift will center around! 

However, knitting isn't actually one of my crafts, and I have no idea what would make the best gift.  Can anyone suggest something that would be particularly appreciated by a young girl who's learning to knit?

Many thanks, fellow Craftsters!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So I finally started a blog.... 
eunnyjang
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005 01:59:44 PM »

Nice!  I would suggest a subscription to one of the trendy mags out there - Knit 1, or knit.1!, or however they punctuate it, comes to mind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There will also be cocktail sauce.  -- Smoove B

See Eunny Knit!
Synne

mack. cute but feisty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005 02:36:40 PM »

You can't go wrong with a pair of nice needles (I'm really partial to bamboo) and some pretty, soft yarn--and maybe a knitting tote to put them in? (I've seen the totes in all sizes and colors at places like Michael's)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knit vs. Crochet - my crafty self: http://crochety.blogspot.com/
wist and swap info
mack. where my love of craft and love of food collide: http://mack.etsy.com
Frew-Frew
Caution: Eye Irritant

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005 02:57:14 PM »

Both of my kids (11 yo girl and 8 yo boy!!!!!) have asked me to teach them to knit. For Christmas they are both getting some handmade needles (I'll make my son's "manly"), and a ball of cool chunky yarn so I can teach them to knit up a garter stitch scarf.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chuck Norris does not knit. He bangs the table, and the shockwaves force the yarn to create clothing.

http://frousworld.blogspot.com/
joesherryw
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005 03:26:51 PM »

Thick yarn, good needles, and an age appropriate book. I would check out the local book store for kids or elven teen knitting books, or the Lion Brand website has some cute kids patterns like this one
http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/kff-pocketPetDuck.html maybe you could print these out and give her a little kit with those. Hope that helps. Good luck, my six year old is trying to knit and it's one of the only things she focuses on. It's great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005 03:41:19 PM »

Even though she is only 9, I would reccommend getting her Stitch n Bitch, take a look over it and reassure her mom about the name of the book (if she has parents like most who would get a bit squirmish at the sound of it. I don't even like saying the title outloud, I'm 16 but unlike my friends can't bring myself to use 'curse' words.) It is a wonderful book that teaches the basics plus other stuff.
Another good idea is some knitting needles. If you get her yarn and knitting needles, go for the needle size suggested on the yarn package and either enough to do a project with or something that doesn't have a dye lot nimber. This probably sounds confusing to a non-knitter, though. Perhaps some sort of gift certificate to a store that sells yarn and other crafty things?
My boyfriend pointed out how knitting can actually be a pretty cheap hobby (compared to video game addiction and such.) He bought me a pair of knitting needles and two balls of yarn for about $10.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
curlygirl

we must be the change we wish to see in the world

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005 04:15:26 PM »

There are a lot of great kids knitting books available. I did a quck Barnes & Noble search and came up with a few titles. One is a kit that includes the needles and yarn necessary for the projects inside.

Kids Knitting
Melanie Falick

Kids Knit!: Simple Steps to Nifty Projects
Sarah Bradberry

Teen Knitting Club: Chill out and Knit
Jennifer Wenger, Carol Abrams, Maureen Lasher

Finger Knitting: Handknit Projects for Kids of All Ages
Suzuki Katsino

Kids Can Knit: Fun and Easy Projects for Small Knitters
Caroline Clewer

Kids' Easy Knittiing Projects
Peg Blanchette

Knit-It Kit for Kids
Jennifer Traig

As far as Stitch and Bitch goes, it is a great book, but as a mom I would say it is innapropriate for a nine year old, and the projects might be a little too hard/ time consuming/not of interest for someone so young- However, that is just my opinion. If you do decide to go that route I would def ask her parents to oreview the book. Hope this helps.

Also, JoAnn has a great selection of fun yarns in great colors & textures that would whip up into some really cute garter stitch scarves or other simple projects.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

fluffyhelen

<3 etsy&craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005 05:24:21 PM »

Wool and needles!  You can't go wrong with buying a knitter some wool and needles.  We love them, mmmmm.. wool..

* fluffyhelen tries to close the door to the wardrobe and fails
/me watches 20,000 balls of wool roll out in an avalanche
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ax174
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005 05:49:20 AM »

I agree with the yarn and needles, particularly the needles as that's the expensive start-up cost she likely won't be able to afford herself.  If she's just started knitting, she's going to need different types, lengths and diameters of needles.  She'll need at least one set each of
 - double-pointed needles (I recommend the 4.5 mm size)
 - circular needles (I recommend the 16" length, 4.5 mm size)
 - fat, chunky straight needles (9 mm and up)

If you got her one of each set in bamboo (my fave!), that would be about $40 Canadian ($30+ US). If you're really feeling generous, you can throw in a needle case too - the ones by knit-blogger Thimble are really nice - http://www.thimble.ca/.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005 05:53:41 AM by ax174 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

nicolethegeek
I have terminal EAS!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005 06:30:27 AM »

I have 9 and 10 yo daughters that I'm teaching to knit... they already learned to crochet a few years ago. Here are some of the things that I've bought for them, or that I will be buying for them for thier new hobby:

• Brightly coloured acrylic yarn so that they can make themselves and their freinds some cool scarves.
  • Set of 10" needles in common sizes for worsted weight yarn {since they will be doing mostly small projects to begin with, and with inexpensive yarn}
  • Brightly coloured storage bins to store their supplies, yarn, and patterns
  • Smaller bins to hold needles and other accessories that fits into the larger bin
  • Teen-type patterns that they can either make now, or learn how soon {I've looked over the patterns and checked that they aren't too difficult}

My girls want to learn how to make the fuzzy scarves and such, but I know that they need to learn the basics first. The bright yarn will allow them to make stuff that's funky, without the hassles that the novelty yarns will give them. Kids {and men!} are more likely to venture into more difficult patterns and yarns than women are, I have found, but these choices will give them the absolute basics to get going. Then they can tell me what kinds of things they want to make next, and I can go from there.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005 06:35:03 AM by nicolethegeek » THIS ROCKS   Logged

May all your projects be frog-less, and all your patterns error-free!

Nicole's Crochet Bistro: http://www.geocities.com/nicolethegeek
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}: http://nicolethegeek.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About Drawing Cartoons and Comics
Basics of Calligraphy
Salilah Moore on Sacred Geometry
Joe Brenman on Creating Murals
Ed Bronstein on Becoming a Painter
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...