A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
612 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: MAILART AND TRACKING? a.k.a. THE SHIPPING NEWS  (Read 3731 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

indie anna 58
"I am for an art that is political-erotical-mystical, that does something other than sit on its @ss in a museum." Claes Oldenburg

No Beefcake Without Irony

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2004 04:34:20 AM »

Hi gang. Lia has posted a new rule in the General Swap Forum regarding swapping and package tracking. Here it is:

THIS IS A NEW REQUIRED RULE FOR ALL SWAPS.

Hi everyone,

There has been some problems with people not receiving their parcels from others from certain swaps! A new idea that has come up to try and prevent this, and insure that everyone will receive what they are entitled to is to pay the few extra dollars and ask for a delivery confirmation when you mail your presents off!

Participants:

When you send your parcel (before or on the last possible day! ) please ask your local post office for information about tracking the parcel. You will recieve a number where you can go to a website, or phone a 1-800 number to receive information about the delivery of your parcel.

Once you get this number, come home and send a private message to the swap organizer with the given number and the website!

Swap Organizers:

Please make sure you post about this in your swap, either copy and paste this message, or give a link to the thread! Once the mail off date has come, collect all the tracking numbers, and keep them with all the swapping information and address (ex. written out on paper, or in a word document). If needed, you can refer to this to see who has sent the package, and if it has arrived to designated person.

This is really important to do! It is worth spending the extra money on, to prevent your hard work from being lost in the mail. If your person does not receive their package, the person can phone about the parcel, and it can be located or perhaps refunded (insurance).

Please feel free to PM Lia (Swap Organizer) if you have any questions, comments or concerns! Thanks!

This is an excellent idea for most swaps. However, I think that in the case of many swaps such as ATC's where participants are not mailing to ONE person, but are mailing to perhaps 10-15 people, it may make the exercise prohibitively expensive.

One option perhaps, is for the swap organizer to clearly state in the original post whether or not the mailart swap will require letters to be sent via "registered mail".  Huh

Any other suggestions?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004 04:57:36 AM by indie anna 58 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glitter on the mattress
Glitter on the highway
Glitter on the front porch
Glitter on the hallway
-LoveShack/The B52s
indie anna 58
"I am for an art that is political-erotical-mystical, that does something other than sit on its @ss in a museum." Claes Oldenburg

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2004 04:46:10 AM »

Here is an addendum to the Package Tracking Post written by Craftster Melidomi, with some excellent tips on International Mailing:

Hello Swappers,
as we're all doing a lot of mailing, and some of us are mailing internationally (maybe for the first time) I thought it might be good to collect and share any wisdom we've gleaned here.

Here are a couple of things to start:
1) DO send your item in an envelope if you can: if you can fit an item into an envelope  (even a big manilla envelope) you'll probably pay less to ship it than if it's in a box, and it will probably get there faster!

2) DON'T use UPS to ship internationally.  They have a nasty habit of charging outrageous 'handling fees' to the recipient for going through customs.  Example: I got a present from a friend in the states Declared value of the gift: $20 actual customs charges: $2-3 UPS handling fees (and tax on those fees): $20  So I ended up paying as much for the present as the friend who bought it.   Other companies are far less bad. 

2a) DO use the regular post office mail if you can; an item (especially a gift) that goes through the regular mail usually won't get customs charges at all, and there definitely no customs charges on envelopes.

3) When you're filling out the customs declaration forms and estimating the value of what you're sending, estimate down.  Write things like 'homemade'  and 'used' (not 'handmade' and 'vintage') and use the values of the materials, not the value of your effort - the only thing these values could possibly be used for is in calculating duty, so you aren't doing anyone any favors by saying the thing you're sending is really valuable.

Thanks for sharing, Melidomi! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glitter on the mattress
Glitter on the highway
Glitter on the hallway
-LoveShack/The B52s
indie anna 58

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2004 04:50:24 AM »

And still more Shipping News from Amareluna! Thanks!

Here's what I learned from my recent lesson in shipping from the US to Canada:

UPS refused to even pick the boxes up without an invoice or reciept. As these are homemade items, we were out of luck.

Shipping via the Post Office was cheaper.

Packages going Express Mail are automatically insured up to $100 AND come with tracking via document number at no additional charge! You can track the packages here: http://www.usps.com/shipping/expressmail.htm
HAVE PATIENCE! Customs held the last box for over a week, when another box that went the same day the same way wasn't even stopped. So if the box 'drops off the face of the planet' for a day or five, that's probably where it's at!
Hope that helps others in their quest to swap!!

« Last Edit: May 22, 2004 04:57:06 AM by indie anna 58 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glitter on the mattress
Glitter on the highway
Glitter on the hallway
-LoveShack/The B52s
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Bullion Knot
How to Do Redwork Embroidery
How to Sew Straight on the Sewing Machine
How to Stitch Blackwork Embroidery
How to Sew a Dart on Garments
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...