A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 304,876
Currently Running With Scissors:
793 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Prom dress inspired by Firefly.. flattering and somewhat accurate?  (Read 1944 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MindWhore

Believe it or not, I do have a nose.

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2005 08:57:16 AM »

Senior prom this year, and I'm in love with the dress on the left in this promo pic for Firefly:

http://still-flying.net/images/promopics/index.php?p=group03.jpg&pg=0

Inara has the most fantastic dresses. This is the one she wore in Out of Gas.

Now, I'm nowhere near advanced enough to make it without a pattern. Soooo I found this:

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/voguepatterns/shop.cgi?s.item.V2745=x&TI=20003&page=7

V2745. Lengthen the skirt, of course, and I'd make mine a deep red. Slightly more slimming.

Alright, I have two questions.

1. How flattering is this going to be on my size 14 hourglass figure?

2. Anybody have any clue what the back of Inara's dress looks like?

I'm counting on you, browncoats.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tamagotchi
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005 09:06:20 AM »

I think it would look great, especially if you have a small waist.  It'll hide all the parts you don't like, and should really flatter your waist and hips.  The only suggestion I might make is to raise the neckline a little, or somehow change the cut of the bust.  My feeling is that those triangular panels are going to make your boobies look HUGE, which might not be so good if they're already pretty big.  But I can't really say that for certain, since I'm as flat as a board!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry username = tamagotchi
mmd32
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005 02:36:38 PM »

I think the dress will be perfect for an hourglass! Though, I might agree with the triangle boob coverage..you might want to cover a little more.

As for the back of the dress, well, I think a Firefly viewing party is in order! Grin

Murali
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kellygreen9
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005 03:42:37 PM »

*flails!*

I thought I had all of Inara's costumes memorised, but I can't for the LIFE of me remember what the back of this one looks like... either I'm having a very early onset of Alzheimer's or she's always worn a shawl with it.

In other news; that is, by far, my favourite Vogue pattern.  Sure, there are tons of other patterns that are more complicated and for some, that would equal better, but the simple elegance of 2745... perfect.

As for how it would look... well, considering I'm also in that size area and am considering it for my next sewing project?  I'd say YES.  However, I would consider invest in one of those strapless body slimmers like http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/Products.aspx?DeptID=0&CatID=035155&Grptyp=PRD&ItemId=0c3ab11.  I'm in no way shape or form advocating only skinny girls wearing pretty dresses and all that nonsense, but satiny fabric shows everything, and if it can't find anything, makes something up, even on girls with waists the size of my thigh.  Also, you wouldn't have to worry about bra straps, and it makes just really beautiful, clean lines.  Don't skip out and only get the underwear ones, or the body suit that ends in panties or shorts though!  That's just screaming for bulges; hey, it has to go SOMEWHERE!

Can you tell I love my slimmer?  *grin*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunnyb64

free as a bird...it's the next best thing to be

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005 04:10:05 PM »

Honestly, I don't have a clue what the back looks like-- I'm a recent Firefly convert and I don't have the DVDs yet, so I've only seen each of the episodes once when they were running them on SciFi over the summer. But I do think the dress would probably look fine (I'd agree with the other comments that you might want to make it a slightly higher cut though.)

Good luck with it-- Inara's clothes are all just fabulous so good choice for inspiration! I'm definitely planning on making something similar to http://still-flying.net/images/ourmrsreynolds/index.php?image=ourmrsreynolds320.jpg this shirt as soon as I get the time (and some of my other gazillion projects done...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

child_resistant
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005 03:15:41 PM »

That dress is will make such a great prom dress! It's deffinatly a flattering cut. I'm a huge Firefly fan and I'm pretty sure the back dips down to about 6-8 inches and kind of drapes. There's also a seam running down the back. But I'm not really certain about it, you should probably watch it again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pamperedpam13

The Prince of Darkness is a gentleman -Shakespeare

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006 08:47:26 AM »

Shocked   The prom dress is great!!  Very talented and cool.  I hope you had a fab prom.

Pam
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kristieb

Compulsive Crafter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006 09:07:18 AM »

I recommend getting a body slimmer w/ the shorts for anyone (even "skinny" girls) planning to wear a satin fabric dress. It just smooths out everything underneath and makes you look perfect. Nothing looks worst under those dresses then a strange buldge somewhere.

I think the dress is stunning and you would look lovely in it. Please post pictures when you have them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

paroper
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006 11:03:05 AM »

If you will notice, they recommend the garment for an hour glass or inverted pyramid figure.  Vogue is very good about giving you pointers on what figures will look best.  They usually only make a garment up to the size that they think will be flattered by their pattern.  That is why sometimes pattern sizes stop "early".   I think you'll be safe in this garment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon EOS 1000D Camera Review
How to Photograph Fungi
Nikon D3 Camera Review
How to Setup your Camera up for Shooting Landscapes
How to Use an Off Camera Wireless Flash System
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...