A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,098
Currently Running With Scissors:
656 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I want to make the "Under The Hoodie" but I have questions  (Read 1331 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

charity
« on: November 27, 2005 10:31:17 PM »

I want to make the "Under The Hoodie" because I'm sick of making scarves.  I know I should start with something smaller but I really would like to make something I'll use. 

My first question is: what other kinds of yarn can you use besides the recommended Rowan Kid Classic?  I felt that stuff at the LYS and it was kind of scratchy.  I'd like it to be softer, but still made with natural fibers (wool, alpaca).  Price is no object since my best friend offered to pay for the yarn as a Christmas present.  (Even if it's over what is reasonable for a present, I'd happily pay the rest.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PlayItGeorge
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005 07:44:28 AM »

Since it's worsted weight, anything else that is worsted weight will essentially work.  I mean it'll come otu looking different with a different shape if you use something like really fluffy--but basically, now that you've seen the wool, you can pretty much sub anything else worsted weight that would be appropriate for making a hooded sweatshirt with.  Does that make sense?

I substitute yarn all the time and honestly as long as I use the same weight, I haven't had any problems.  I hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

8littlepaws.wordpre ss.com
charity
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005 08:09:44 PM »

Hey, thanks for that info.  I think I might use Karabella Aurora 8 yarn.  It's 100% wool but it's really soft (not itchy at all).  I'm making a scarf for my sister out of it right now.  I'm doing a 2x2 ribbing pattern so it's double-y soft. 

I can't wait until I finish my last (for a while) scarf and get started on knitting something more challenging. 

(Then I'll miss the mindless joy of repetitive knitting, I know.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goodkarma
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005 11:56:18 AM »

Karabella Aurora 8 would be an absolute dream. It's really nice to knit with (sproingy and soft), and will be so comfortable and cozy to wear. Especially around the neckline, etc. Go for it and enjoy!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zombiemuffin
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006 08:37:21 PM »

I used Brown Sheep Co.'s Nature Spun with two strands held together.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Sautéed Peaches with Chardonnay Vanilla Syrup
How to Make Lemon Pancakes
How to Make a Pot Luck Cheese Platter
How to Make a Cheese Plate Extraordinaire
How to Make Gourmet Turkey Gravy
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...