A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 304,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
541 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jack & Sally Nightmare Before Christmas Baby Quilt **(Now with rough patterns)**  (Read 53723 times)
Tags for this thread: nightmare_before_christmas , the_nightmare_before_christmas , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BatGrrl
« on: November 27, 2005 06:25:11 PM »

***UPDATED***  Rough patterns now on page 6.  Not pretty, but it's a start.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=65392.msg2202575#msg2202575

Howdy, folks!

I actually completed this project back in spring, but I wasn't a member of Craftster until recently.  I'm still pretty proud of the project, noticed that there are several tNBC fans lurking about, and decided to post it.

I designed the quilt from scratch for friends who were having their first child before I even knew what gender they were expecting.

First, the Jack Side:

It's often reported that babies love black and white, so it's really a good color scheme for them.  Most of the fabrics were purchased around Halloween, like the dancing skeletons, Boo!s, and the glow-in-the-dark eyeballs.  I wanted the quilt to be in stripes with the wide parts being white patterns on predominantly black backgrounds and spaced apart with white-on-white stripes.  I thought the crooked zigzags would best convey a Jack sort of feel, and I added his shirt-breast, lapels, and bat-tie.  It's hard to tell, but the third black fabric from the left (or, bottom) has little white cat faces on it.  The third fabric from the right (top) has chalkboard letters on it--both parents are creative writers.  The center fabric just happened to remind me the most of Jack's striping from what I could find at the time.  Everything is pieced, even though it probably would have been easier to do the bat as an applique.  (Hindsight.)  The bat's eyes and the button are embroidered on.  

Then we have the Sally side:

Sally's side had to be a crazy quilt.  I stuck with basic pink, blue, and yellow and tried to match as many fabrics from her dress as I could, though I certainly had to make compromises to keep things unified and baby-bright.  The pattern repeats once on a diagonal, much like a playing card.  Many of the designs and shapes in the quilt are taken directly from the dress, while I eventually ran out and had to make up similar parts in the middle, with one blue shape in the center resembling the hill.  There were originally 45 different shapes and 89 separate pieces to her side, until I realized I couldn't do the zigzag "sleeve" pieces without cutting them into multiple parts--it was tough to try to match the print on that.  (Jack's side has more pieces because I pieced the bat and all the little parts between the wings.)  Because the pieces were all so unique and specifically shaped to each other, I had to trace each piece individually without seam allowances added, then pin them together with the pins matched up on the seams.  After it was all sewn together, I hand-embroidered black stitch marks between all the fabrics and blue stitches on the few pieces that were supposed to represent her skin in the bodice of the dress.  (Since the quilt is sideways, look at the lower left and upper right corners to see it.)  You can also catch a glimpse of my cat Pandora along the top edge of this picture--she demanded to be a part of every step of this project to the point of crazy-making.

Anyhow, thought some people might enjoy this.

UPDATE:  I'm going to scan in the 8"X11" pages I started with and blew up once I figure out where I stashed them.  Anyone ambitious enough will be able to blow the pattern up five times to get the same effect that I did.  Then I'm going to figure out how to scan and zip all of the full-size pattern pieces together if I can so they can be downloaded as such.  I'll include more tutorial  like directions when I find everything I need and get it together.  

Pieces,

Joanne

*Edited to fix broken picture links.  I still can't locate my pattern.   Sad
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011 10:46:08 AM by jungrrl - Reason: added link to tutorial » THIS ROCKS   Logged
toomuchrock

Just another day in suburbia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005 06:45:24 PM »

holy cow....

that has got to be the most freaking fantastic quilt i have ever seen. i want one desperatly
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I craft, Therefor I Rock!

toomuchrock.etsy.com

MOOLA! It amazes me
Never heard of Moola? PM me or click the link for More details.
leatherdoll
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005 07:12:54 PM »

That is fantastic. I wish I had one when I was a baby.
Im jealous now.
Great job. I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feels like you were there yourself...
Stephannie

Dig that crazy sound.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005 09:43:36 PM »

That is awesome!  Two different quilts in one-- a two-fer.  I love, um, I love both sides, I can't choose. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StookeyDough
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005 10:41:30 PM »

Seriously amazing.  I looked at the title thinking that it would be like Nightmare Before Christmas fabric... but this is amazing.  Bravo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lady4feet
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005 11:25:26 PM »

Awesome!! I'm in love with the Jack side I think although both are great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ezri_B
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005 07:17:57 AM »

Brilliant! I love when people give things a huge creative spin, and you really accomplished that! It is gorgeous ! I honestly can't decide which side I like better, but with your quilt they wouldn't have to decide Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bananna fish

armwarming glory!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005 08:06:00 PM »

wow, wow, wow
the crazy quilt side is amazing - oh hell, I love both sides! I don't think I'd be able to decide which side I like more!

what is the size on that? typical lap-size/baby-size?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BatGrrl
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005 08:34:28 PM »

The quilt is roughly crib size, 55" x 40".  Basically, if I stand and hold it, my head goes where Jack's would poke out the top.  I took a pattern off my own baby blanket for the size.  I used a little thicker batting in it to give it a higher baby-tumbling absorption rate, also because I hope it will be used and loved for many years and will then withstand the worst of settling.  My grandma made me a very simple quilt when I was a baby, and I still have it and actually used it on my bed right through high school.  It's flatter than a pancake now, and apparently I actually wore one side off it when I was really young and it had to be replaced.  Mom tells me that baby plays on it at home on the floor all the time.

Originally, I'd even planned to make a fleece hood that would pull out of the top seam, also two-sided, Jack-faced on one side and Sally-faced on the other.  I couldn't figure out a good plan for seam-closure when not in use that didn't include scratchy Velcro, though, and decided that dropping it off a month after she was born was late enough and gave up on the logistics of that.  It's really too big of a quilt to be the one you'd wrap baby in to carry to the car anyway, and so many carseats now have that snap-out carrier that it didn't seem worth the effort.

I've come across some even better fabrics since and have been stashing them away.  I think I'll do another baby quilt for my own first little one, when we get to that.  I'm also considering enlarging and varying the pattern for a full-size quilt.  I've had many people interested in the quilt as a potential gift (to buy for others), but the amount of work that goes into it would make the price ridiculously expensive for a baby gift.  I'd be willing to try to scan pattern pieces if I can get the scanner back up and running (I think it needs to be reinstalled)--the patterns come covered in attractive newsprint, as that's what I blew the pattern up onto after I drew it first on a piece of typing paper.  Once you know the dimensions of the quilt, the Jack side is easy enough to graph out on your own if you want to, but the Sally side is a bit trickier.  If anyone is seriously interested, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Pieces,

Joanne
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meshell
Art Teacher & Metalsmith

!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005 08:44:16 PM »

That's really neat.  I love your interpretation!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.recycledstar.etsy.com --> Fine silver jewelry and other goodies Smiley

www.recycledstar.com --> Needs to be updated!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Look Years Younger with Thermage
How To Pick The Perfect Perfume
Top 5 Bad Beauty Habits to Break
Top 10 Ways to Reorganize Your Life
DIY Organic Face Mask
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...