A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,105
Currently Running With Scissors:
611 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: fused dichoric glass for pendants?  (Read 1638 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

espressopunk
free to good home

'art is why i get up in the morning'

View Profile WWW
« on: November 27, 2005 03:24:07 PM »

I wouldn't know where to start with these, jewelry is not my strong crafting area...

take a look...
http://photobucket.com/albums/c358/espressopunk/
if you're interested in trades or something, or have ideas were i can start...message me
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bubbledragon
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005 07:42:12 PM »

Wow.  This are beautiful.  I bet they're fun to make.  They'd make beautiful pendants, but without some sort of pre-made hole in them, the only thing I can think of would be to sort of wire-wrap them to form a kind of cage.  I think brooches would be fab, too.  Those would be nice pinning back a scarf.  Shocked)

Good luck!  Hope you can pair up with a talented jewelry person.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005 07:45:47 PM »

beautiful

These are too big, but i once bought a pair of fused dichoric glass earrings...just glued on. They were pretty Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 27, 2010 <3
Ayn
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005 10:58:54 AM »

Hi all!
hmmm... how can you tell how large those dichroic pieces are? Maybe the page isn't fully loading for me, but I'm not seeing any mention of size.

At any rate ... yep I'd say just about any kind of wire-wrap would work on those. Although I'm not exactly a huge fan of dichroic glass in general, I think all sorts of metallic wire colors could complement it nicely.

And yes, for larger pieces you could use the bondable/glue-able type pin or brooch backs --- I believe firemountaingems.co m carries a couple of kinds, & plenty of other places online plus any fairly large crafts store or bead shop should have some too.
There are also a few kinds of pendant loops that can be glued or bonded onto the top back of just about anything with a reasonably flat reverse.  And of course there are bondable earring backs too.

Not sure about right this minute, but ebay used to have mannnny handmade dichroic glass pendants made with a "built"-in glass hanging loop. Also some already made into pendants, complete with a sterling bail and-or sometimes a flat sterling ribbon-like 'wrap' around the outer edge (I forget at the moment what that's actually called!).

If you like, go to the main ebay category Jewelry and Watches -- and to get a good bit closer, go to the general subcategory Loose Beads, as I believe that's where the majority of the smaller dichroic pendant pieces used to be, or even further, to the sub-subcategory "Lampwork,Crystal,Glass". Then search one or both of those subs using the word dichroic.

Don't recall having seen any 'earring-suitable' [i.e., smaller/reasonably-matched] dichroic cabs there before --- but, last time I looked was back when dichroic was just starting to get wellknown/popular, so I'd bet there are at least a few in there now.
And if you can find some 'true' dichroic beads -- made with a hole straight through the middle, just like any bead -- well of course those would be suitable for a headpin-strung pendant or maybe even a pair of dangle earrings.

And finally : I don't recall ever having seen a dichroic bead anywhere that had a hole through the middle ... maybe the technique of making this kind of glass doesn't readily lend itself to that, I dunno ... but if it's possible, I'm sure sommmmebody on ebay has 'em!

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
espressopunk
free to good home

'art is why i get up in the morning'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005 11:01:58 AM »

i've made a few pins with these, and in the past i bonded them on a silver back i made with was much like a small cup and burnished the edge down to 'frame' and hold them better with a jump ring at the top...just trying to get them to someone who could use them, since as of right now i am concentrating on other crafting areas
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ayn
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005 11:14:57 AM »

OH soo sorry I think I seriously misunderstood something here -- think I see now, apparently the pix in that link are things you already have & you want to trade them or send them to someone who can use them, right?

Just in case you haven't had any takers, you might try changing your subject to something like "anyone want some dichroics?" or "anyone wanna trade for some dichroic pieces?" [[you can use the Modify function to change your own post or subject]]  ... or ... I believe there may be one or even several craftster forums specifically devoted to trades; might want to check on those & try posting there too.
How kind & sweet of you -- gee, wish *I* liked dichroic glass! Good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged
orange_sunset

I found myself! ...Now where'd I put the scissors?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005 11:46:21 AM »

Those are seriously beautiful. Do you still have them available? I have no idea what I'd trade etc... but I'm really interested in a few of them. If they're still available I can PM you or you can PM me- whatever Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Loobylashes

Tis me , yooo hooo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2005 09:50:24 AM »

What kind of things would you like in return for them ? , id possibly only want one or two.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Cross Training and Strength Training for Runners
Tips for Beginner Runners from Danny Dreyer
How to Apply the Chi Running Technique for Marathons
Sohrab Ahmari on Ray Bradbury Vs. Political Correctness
How The Light Gets In 2012: What the Patrons of the Festival Thought
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...