A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
586 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Magazine Purse Photos :)  (Read 72574 times)
Tags for this thread: magazine_purse , tutorial , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

idontknow
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2004 04:39:56 PM »

I wonder if you could use the clear peel and stick vinyl that you can sometimes buy for covering school books and such.... must experiment, my only concern is getting the needle on my sewing machine sticky.... what do you guys think? Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The length of a movie, should be directly related to the endurence of the human bladder."
           - Alfred Hitchcock
chazzycat

i luv monkeys, i do i do!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2004 04:40:55 PM »

oh my God those are the cutest purses evah!! so so so jealouz!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Smurfette

lemonlimedesign.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2004 04:55:04 PM »

I was really upset and discouraged at 1st cuz the sewing machine didn't want to sew the vinyl.I read somewhere to use baby powder to coat the vinyl  (which I didn't happen to have) so I used flour.

It worked great but it's kinda messy  Undecided I'm a tad worried about what it will do to the machine over the long haul too  Undecided I plan on making lots of these  Smiley

I'm sure the school book cover stuff would work Smiley or clear contact paper....just gotta be careful for bubbles and wrinkles I would think.

I really want to use something like that but I haven't found any yet.

The vinyl I'm using is ok but because it doesn't sticks together it kinda seperates  between the two layers (a bit) and doesn't look as good?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

faith is the substance of things hoped for the evidence of things not yet seen

http://lemonlimedesign.etsy.com
idontknow
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2004 05:16:52 PM »

ahh many thanks smurfette, we have tons of clear vinyl from when my mom used to teach and have been trying to use it up on odd projects, never thought of using baby powder before....messy, but hey at least the purse will smell good Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The length of a movie, should be directly related to the endurence of the human bladder."
           - Alfred Hitchcock
scandibird
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2004 01:15:55 AM »

smurfette, yours is great too!!! So cute!! Like the little silk rose on the handles. What are the handles made from?? i love the way you've used Craftster artwork!!  (quite fun to see my pics on someone's bag as well!! Cheesy)

Someone mentioned using tissue paper when sewing vinyl, I think. There's a thread here somewhere about it if you do a search. I agree, I think flour probably is not very good for your sewing machine in the long run.  Sad

I was thinking of using the normal non-sticky vinyl too, but I was worried about the print outs/paper getting wet and ruined if it rained. (which it does a lot here) or I by some freak accident fell into a canal whilst cycling and using said handbag....  I'd be upset then.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Smurfette

lemonlimedesign.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2004 02:08:50 AM »

lol stay away from those pesky canals  Wink ya know I never thought about the rain situation....hmm.I tried buying some spray glue tonight and glued a small piece together.....so far it looks like it's  not an option because it looks cloudy  Sad but it's not quite dry yet.....sooooo maybe it will work.I'll let ya know  Smiley

I also tried some really strong clear glue around the edges so I could avoid using the machine all together.........it worked great but even though it was clear it still looked kinda um......un-neat.

Next....I had the brilliant idea of using one of those old seal-a-meal machines (which I just happen to have) to melt the vinyl together in a thin line along the edge. Angry didn't work cuz it was to thick.

I'll try the tissue paper next....thanks for that idea  Smiley

I made the handles out of rope I found at Walmart.It has a kind of silky black and pink covering.I was able to pull the silky threads back from the center thick rope,cut the rope and then sew through the longer silky stuff and fluffed it to make a pom pom of sorts.....um does that make sense?

I was checking out bungee cord tonight....it is very colorful and could work the same way  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

faith is the substance of things hoped for the evidence of things not yet seen

http://lemonlimedesign.etsy.com
scandibird
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2004 06:43:58 AM »

Nahh, I can imagine glue of any kind would ruin the neat look.

I was thinking it might be possible to use fabric in between the vinyl instead of paper... It would still get wet, but not necessarily ruined. You could do an iron-on transfer of your image onto canvas and use that instead of the print-out?? Or crisp packets?? or any kind of plasticky packaging??
hmm, different project all together then really. Oh well, just a thought...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Faith
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2004 06:52:43 PM »

Smurfette - cute bags!

Idontknow - I've tried to work with standard contact paper on magazine bags and it's really hard to sew through and doesn't hold it's shape too well so I found the iron on vinyl much easier Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eropunkish

gimme gimme that thing called love

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2004 03:17:35 PM »

I am totally going to do that with pics of me and my friends!  You could even put pieces of movie posters...or basically anything!  Awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vintage vixens, traveling the line
swirling words across a page, if you would have it

wist - - >  http://www.wists.com/seabass_sews
Poprocksandcoke
child of the spookie

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2004 12:51:08 PM »

What on earth is a gromet? Something basic I bet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Your mouth is likean open sore, where kisses rot and die
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Aaron Axelrod: The Making of the "Bad Reception" Art Installation
How to Draw Rito Yuuki
Oil Painting For Beginners
Behind The Scenes At Red Bull House Of Art In Detroit
Andy Warhol Drawing Bought For $5 Could Fetch Nearly $2 Million
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...