A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 304,741
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need to earn $3000 by April, need quick and easy purse ideas to make and sell  (Read 3364 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ashlyn22
« on: November 26, 2005 08:39:27 PM »

Ok, heres the deal..... I am 14 years old and was recently interviewed and accepted by an organization called People to People to travel as a student ambassador to France, Italy, Switzerland, and Austria for 20 days. The trip costs $5,000+, and my parents have agreed to pay a portion of it, but I still need to raise  over $3000 by April of THIS year. Each month I have been doing a fundraiser through my family... last month I made handmade christmas cards and sold them for $15 a box, but I only got 5 orders. My monthly goal is just over $500 and I think by just selling to the few family members I have that are participating is not going to help me reach my goal. So now, I have decided that I want to make something to sell to girls at my school. I think that purses are the best way to go- but I don't know how to go about this. Do any of you know of any quick, easy, and cheap purses that I could make? These cannot take a lot of time because I will most likely be making more than one at a time, like an assembly line... One after another, after another, after another... anyway- also they have to be cheap and easy. They cant cost too much $$ because I want to make a profit off of them. I think I would be selling them for around $10 per purse, so the supplies for one purse would have to be less $$ than $10. Also, before hand, I would like to mention that I cannot knit, crochet, etc. So that type of purse is out. I don't have many supplies (but am willing to buy them, depending on the cost) but I do have clear packing tape, ribbon, magazine cutouts, a few hardcover books, a sewing machine, eyelets and an eyelet setter. If you know of any purses/wallets that I can make with these things, or any other cheap and easy purses, please let me know! I would like to have an idea of what I will be making for the month of December before the 1st. Thank you in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OxMonkey
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005 08:58:01 PM »

How about wallets??  The one's made with packaging tape look very cool and you can use just about anything for them (magazines, the Sunday comics, plain paper painted with sharpies, gift wrap, etc)
It's probably already been done at your school but you can give them a special touch...maybe personalize them, write the person's name in a fun way or make a wallet with the person's favorite actor/actress/singer/sport...whatever!
Here's the link to the wallet I made using the pattern on that forum:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=9299.msg307930#msg307930
The only problem with these wallets is that you can't have the assembly line thing going, you have to make them one by one.
You can sell them for $10-$15 and the only thing you need to buy is the tape.

If I can think of any other options I'll let you know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ronya
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005 11:08:02 AM »

Try looking at this tutorial http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=54769.0 - it seems to be fast to make after you get used to it. If you don't use any closing like zipper or magnet snaps it is just - interface it, cut it, sew the lining, sew the outer fabric, sew them together. not so many steps like bags where the sides are separate pieces and the bottom is a separate piece as well. As for the closing if you need it, I guess velcro should be the fastest to make? Magnetic snaps take time and do not allow mistakes and zipper would also take more time... Maybe little flaps with buttons would also dot he job to close bags?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ducktape_diva

Book'em good-lookin'

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005 03:56:13 PM »

You can also make earrings. The materials are not too expensive and are fairly simple to make.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jessdell
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005 02:19:36 PM »

huh really? cool. i'm going to europe this summer too. for a student leadership conference in london, oxford, paris, and normandy. though mine's 9 days, so it's significantly cheaper ($2000) but i'm raising spending money by stenciling and selling shirts, which only take like an hour at most. so if you have stenciling ability that's what i would suggest. the freezer paper tutorial is great. "the best way ever to stencil" i think it's called?  anyways other than that yeah earrings are good or the jordy bag is fairly quick and easy to make. good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CozmicStardust
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006 06:54:16 PM »

My favorite way to make purses is pretty idiot-proof and really fast. I always find really awesome or beautiful placemats at TJ-Maxx or Marshalls or garage sales or anywhere else where you can find fabric placemats. The best part is that they're always two layers of fabric thick and already nicely stitched at all the edges so all I have to do is fold in half and stitch along the edges (sometimes in a rounded way so the bag isn't a rectangle but more rounded) then turn it right-side out and sew on a strap or handbag handles and you're ready to go! If you know how, you can also make the bag have a bottom. I usually find placemats I like for around 2 or 3 dollars apiece and then handles or straps are usually about 4 or 5 dollars. You could easily sell them for $15 each, if not more.  Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jnaos

"Creative clutter is better than idle neatness."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006 07:09:54 PM »

I would try something like the Sha Sha bag too. I made one and it was simple to make.  I also have made the mini tote bag (too cute but has a more difficult steps)... I would also consider a paper route since after about ten purses you're gonna want to pull your hair out.  I know cuz I made all the girls in the family a purse and after five I was REALLY sick of making them.  I think the Jordy bag would be a good thing too...I personally would make samples and then make orders from the samples ad offer the different fabric choices.  Good Luck and let us know how this turns out for you!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
askaboutrpickles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

* i AM a very stylish girl *

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2006 07:12:22 PM »

i think CozmicStardust's idea is a really good one!  i've seen fabric placemats at BedBath and Beyond for only a dollar. YOu could also try dollar stores. I like this idea cause i was thinking it might be better to spend time finding cool fabric and just going with a really simple bag design. Cool fabrics, or in this case placemats are going to be attention-getting but with less work that sewing a complicated bag. i actually started, but never finished, a bag out of place mats, and it was really simple. You could make them like messenger bags or like purses, depending on how you sew them.
also, at places like k-mart i've found belts on clearance for a dollar and they could make cool straps. I guess you could sew them on just like any other purse strap.

Another idea: i made a book out of a placemat. I had seen one called a YOGA journal cause it rolls up like a yoga mat and can fit in the same bag. just lay the placemat flat, lay some paper on top of it and sew down the middle, VOILA!

oh also, maybe set up an account at ETSY.COM, it only costs 0.3 cents to post an item and maybe a parent could let you use their credit card number to register with. Huh

CONGRATULATIONS! by the way
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006 07:15:11 PM by askaboutrpickles » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://www.cannibalizejewelry.etsy.com
http://www.leannealaman.weebly.com

Boycott SHAMpoo, demand real poo!
jnaos

"Creative clutter is better than idle neatness."

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2006 07:12:57 PM »

Also.. you should consider cutting up an old sweater and making purses out of them... I think thereis a tut on here somewhere but you basically cut the bottom of the sweater off.  The bottom becomes the top of the bag and you sew the sweater closed and add handles...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
toomuchrock

Just another day in suburbia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2006 07:14:39 PM »

be very careful about this organization.

Very very very careful.

look into the BBB before you give them any money, they contacted me when i was your age and i did some research on them and found some poor information. Like i said, be really careful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I craft, Therefor I Rock!

toomuchrock.etsy.com

MOOLA! It amazes me
Never heard of Moola? PM me or click the link for More details.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon A610/A620: Set for Fireworks Scene
Canon A610/A620: Set for Dusk/Dawn Scene
Canon A610/A620: Set for Copy Scene
Canon A610/A620: Set for Beach/Snow Scene
Canon A610/A620: Set for Backlight Scene
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...