A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,173
Currently Running With Scissors:
377 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Virgin Mary tote  (Read 12563 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

michelex
« on: November 25, 2003 08:52:24 AM »

my friend & i decided we wanted virgin bags (as we are stuck in a religious icon kick). so we bought some totes & felt. hers looks a lot different than mine (the one pictured). the same idea though. we cut & pasted peices of felt to create the image with hot glue. i lined it with this tropical print & added lace (not shown in the picture).  it came out awesome. ive gotten a few compliments & a lot of sneers. Smiley

http://e.1asphost.com/outre/hot/bag%2002%20virgin.JPG

it just occured to me that i should have posted this w/ my previous post, but oh well.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011 01:56:16 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
yardenxanthe
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2003 09:30:56 AM »

Sneers?  What up?

It's cool -- nice detail on the virgin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artzyfartzy
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2003 02:20:08 PM »

holy smokes i am in LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  that is one awesome awesome bag!   Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

algebraashley

i could so make something out of this....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2003 07:45:25 PM »

catholicism at its best!

great job!

felt is the best thing ever invented.
for real.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i like boring things- andy warhol
Debzy

I'm a Scouser!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2003 02:44:14 AM »

that is absolutely fantastic, gorgeous choice of colours. good job!

i kinow what you mean about sneers though. religion's a bit of a dodgy area, i think. i've ben tempted to make stuff before but always chickened out! i've got stuff in my bedroom but i don't know if i'd be brave enough to carry a bag around (even one as gorgeous as yours)...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
-George Bernard Shaw
mari_meow_meow
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2003 02:14:41 PM »

very cool!!
a lot of people i know are really into this virgin mary/religious kick lately...
i just find it hilarious cause i was forced to go to catholic school for 14 years. and now short plaid skirts and jesus tee shirts are being sold and worn... weird!
anyway...
peach-out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
k8lyn
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2003 05:03:47 PM »

From the little tidbit I get in the featured projects area, it looks really cute. But the picture isn't working! Can you post a link, meybe?

I am -so- excited to see it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Maria G
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2003 06:21:47 PM »

darn i wish i could see the pic Sad not showing for me...(i'm also into religious icons/imagery)

i was thinkin (for a project) of printing out religious images on the computer printer onto fabric then makin totes or purses (maybe this idea should went in a different forum?oops)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinygoatstacker

Why can't puffins eat pancakes instead?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2003 07:17:40 PM »

The bag's adorable!!! I might make a special one to house the holy card collection I amassed as a kid. (Oooh! If you happen to have holy cards among your religious icons, I highly recommend playing 'Holy Card Go Fish' and 'Holy Card Memory.' Way fun! )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bumblebees, bumblebees... tiny and small, tiny and small....
Uglytrollgirl

I eat lead paint and i cannot lie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2003 04:25:28 PM »

I was just curious how you got the shapes to put her together?  did you use a stencil or was it just freehand?  Iwould like to give it a whirl but i feel like i couldn't make those pieces on my own without a pattern.

-Jen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DIY or die
weezilgirl

I'm a big Coldplay fan!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2003 04:18:48 AM »

http:// I would tote your tote! I lived in New Mexico for 10 years and love the religious icon things! I now live in the bible belt and would love to carry something around like that! I would get looks of incredulous disbelief and many would pray for me. But then these people stare if you wear loose linen pants and a tee-shirt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Home on the Range with Bigfoot!!
michelex
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2003 09:37:33 PM »

I was just curious how you got the shapes to put her together?  did you use a stencil or was it just freehand?  Iwould like to give it a whirl but i feel like i couldn't make those pieces on my own without a pattern.

-Jen

i drew it out on paper first, and just pretty much cut the shapes out w/ the paper, sorta like a stencil, and then i just started free handing the rest of the shapes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tattooedisis
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2003 12:00:51 AM »

For all you girls dying for an our lady bag (or any other pic that you can't find on fabric) -- there is a great instruction book called Crafty Bags.  It has instructions for making bags out of pictures and iron on vinyl.  the first one i made was out of an our lady calendar i bought at walmart last year (they have them again, btw, for like $5).  i followed the instructions for the first one, now i have made my own up and use fabric for lining.  it's a GREAT idea, and there are people selling these on the web for $50+!!!  check out it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
broadwaybabe_4

I'm in love! (With the right One.)

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2003 05:14:09 PM »

hi, i went to catholic school from 4-6. i had a bad experience with the nuns (all two of them). anyway, i have not been able to view your pics, but i think it sounds cool!? i would like to know if anyone out there would like to help me restore my faith. i havent been able to talk to god in a long time. email me at rockettbabe@hotmail.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Celebrate we will, for life is short but sweet for certain. Climb on two by two, to be sure these days continue.
Maria G
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2003 12:32:04 AM »

"hi, i went to catholic school from 4-6. i had a bad experience with the nuns (all two of them). "

i so feel u, i had the same experience...seems like everyone did that went to catholic school...i remember them pinching and hitting us  Sad
i think alot of em were frustrated or something (sexually maybe?)

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wizkid
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2004 09:06:27 PM »

I went to Catholic school for preschool and kindergarden... I guess it was too early for pinching, I just remember the horrors of being forced to sit up straight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the blog: http://katiesredumbrella.blogspot.com/

the etsy: http://katiecanavan.etsy.com

ravelry: serafinapekkala
starkeymonster
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2004 09:52:26 AM »

Your applique came out gorgeous: I can't believe you freehanded it.  The BVM would be pleased I'm sure.

Would you consider making up an extra and trading or selling it to me?  I sense a need for a blessed knitting bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
furgodwuerlivn2002
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2004 09:38:54 PM »

I wish I went to a Catholic school, but I'm stuck in public school.

- Mary
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please check out my newest Blog:

http://bakingasweetobsession.blogspot.com/
lauracherry
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2004 07:47:24 PM »

that is absolutely fantastic, gorgeous choice of colours. good job!

i kinow what you mean about sneers though. religion's a bit of a dodgy area, i think. i've ben tempted to make stuff before but always chickened out! i've got stuff in my bedroom but i don't know if i'd be brave enough to carry a bag around (even one as gorgeous as yours)...

Religious or not.... don't ever worry about what other people think.... its not worth your time, and if you really like something and have a passion for it, then go for it!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Debzy

I'm a Scouser!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2004 10:50:10 AM »

Religious or not.... don't ever worry about what other people think.... its not worth your time, and if you really like something and have a passion for it, then go for it!  Smiley

very true! thanks  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
-George Bernard Shaw
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Strip Hair Color
How to Straighten Your Hair with a Straightening Iron
Hair Scrunching Tips
How to Bleach Your Hair
How to Get Kim Kardashian Hair Part 2/2
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...