A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,461
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Record album cover journals ahoy! (img heavy)  (Read 2750 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Duckie

Fifty-seven academics just punched the air.

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2005 08:58:07 PM »

I learned how to do the coptic stitch for this project, and I feel rather proud of myself.  Grin

I just folded standard 8.5" x 11" printer paper in half, and used four magazines of four sheets for each journal. I cut the record covers to 9" x 12", then in half again so I had two pieces, each 6" x 9". I poked 5 holes in which to do the stitching, just with a larger-than-average but not tapestry needle. For the threading I used Berocco Suede yarn, just because I had it lying around.

I don't have an img of the front of this one alone because I think it looks dorky unless you see the whole thing:

This one probably has the worst cutting. The top's rather uneven (some of the other ones look uneven in the photos, but it's more the angle they're at):

2001 soundtrack. Oh yeah.

I was able to get two journals out of the 2001 soundtrack. This one is my favourite:

By the way, I officially LOVE my thrift store. They have the best selection (though I still curse leaving behind the Sound of Music soundtrack just because it was graffitti'd).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ignorantamoeba

Hazel and Agnes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005 09:39:55 PM »

Those are really cool!
Now I have a reason to go sift through my thrift store's records!  (Now if only I had a record player Cry)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Duckie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005 05:53:47 AM »

I made bowls from the records. When I go thrifting, I use every part of the creature.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dharma_rebel
I'm a little bit country, and I'm a little bit rock and roll.

put a bird on it

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005 03:26:13 PM »

OMG! i used the record cover for "you can't be true, dear" as my journal cover for letters to my boyfriend! not as dumb as it sounds. he works on a boat for 28 days and often times doesn't have cell phone reception. i thought it was appropriate because we both kinda look like the people on the cover (i cut a pair of glasses out of a magazine that were similar to mine and mod podged them on!) great minds think alike!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

modgirl
Vinyl, Lipstick, & DIY

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005 04:08:31 PM »

Nice.  I like the Zhivago one best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sew Be It

looking for a Readymade issue
haute commodity
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005 02:24:24 PM »

where did you learn the coptic stitch?  im attempting to make one of these, and ive never used it before.  how did you incorporate the album with all of it?  i found a tutorial that uses 6 signatures, did you use this and counted the front and back as a signature?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Duckie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005 09:40:44 AM »

where did you learn the coptic stitch?  im attempting to make one of these, and ive never used it before.  how did you incorporate the album with all of it?  i found a tutorial that uses 6 signatures, did you use this and counted the front and back as a signature?

Of course I can't find it now, but another Craftster posted links that I used. Wait, I bookmarked them! Yay for actually being smart every once in a while. Smiley I used a combination of this site: http://ideanet.doe.state.in.us/olr/grantprojects/books/Coptic%20Book.htm and this one: http://shala.addr.com/magazines/. I found them to be a bit confusing alone, so when I didn't understand something I'd just look at the other. It addresses how you attach the covers, too.

OMG! i used the record cover for "you can't be true, dear" as my journal cover for letters to my boyfriend! not as dumb as it sounds. he works on a boat for 28 days and often times doesn't have cell phone reception. i thought it was appropriate because we both kinda look like the people on the cover (i cut a pair of glasses out of a magazine that were similar to mine and mod podged them on!) great minds think alike!

Wow, that's so cool! Actually, I sold these books at a craft sale and the girl with the stall across from me traded me a piece of her gorgeous, way-intricate jewellery for that journal. I felt so honoured. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Make Extreme Liquid Nitrogen Ice Cream
Birthday Cake Ice Cream Cake Recipe
Easy Fruit Crumble Recipe
How to Make a Clafouti
Delicious and Easy Cookie Butter
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...