A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,104
Currently Running With Scissors:
677 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Record album cover journals ahoy! (img heavy)  (Read 2768 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Duckie

Fifty-seven academics just punched the air.

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2005 08:58:07 PM »

I learned how to do the coptic stitch for this project, and I feel rather proud of myself.  Grin

I just folded standard 8.5" x 11" printer paper in half, and used four magazines of four sheets for each journal. I cut the record covers to 9" x 12", then in half again so I had two pieces, each 6" x 9". I poked 5 holes in which to do the stitching, just with a larger-than-average but not tapestry needle. For the threading I used Berocco Suede yarn, just because I had it lying around.

I don't have an img of the front of this one alone because I think it looks dorky unless you see the whole thing:

This one probably has the worst cutting. The top's rather uneven (some of the other ones look uneven in the photos, but it's more the angle they're at):

2001 soundtrack. Oh yeah.

I was able to get two journals out of the 2001 soundtrack. This one is my favourite:

By the way, I officially LOVE my thrift store. They have the best selection (though I still curse leaving behind the Sound of Music soundtrack just because it was graffitti'd).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ignorantamoeba

Hazel and Agnes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005 09:39:55 PM »

Those are really cool!
Now I have a reason to go sift through my thrift store's records!  (Now if only I had a record player Cry)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Duckie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005 05:53:47 AM »

I made bowls from the records. When I go thrifting, I use every part of the creature.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dharma_rebel
I'm a little bit country, and I'm a little bit rock and roll.

put a bird on it

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005 03:26:13 PM »

OMG! i used the record cover for "you can't be true, dear" as my journal cover for letters to my boyfriend! not as dumb as it sounds. he works on a boat for 28 days and often times doesn't have cell phone reception. i thought it was appropriate because we both kinda look like the people on the cover (i cut a pair of glasses out of a magazine that were similar to mine and mod podged them on!) great minds think alike!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

modgirl
Vinyl, Lipstick, & DIY

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005 04:08:31 PM »

Nice.  I like the Zhivago one best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sew Be It

looking for a Readymade issue
haute commodity
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005 02:24:24 PM »

where did you learn the coptic stitch?  im attempting to make one of these, and ive never used it before.  how did you incorporate the album with all of it?  i found a tutorial that uses 6 signatures, did you use this and counted the front and back as a signature?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Duckie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005 09:40:44 AM »

where did you learn the coptic stitch?  im attempting to make one of these, and ive never used it before.  how did you incorporate the album with all of it?  i found a tutorial that uses 6 signatures, did you use this and counted the front and back as a signature?

Of course I can't find it now, but another Craftster posted links that I used. Wait, I bookmarked them! Yay for actually being smart every once in a while. Smiley I used a combination of this site: http://ideanet.doe.state.in.us/olr/grantprojects/books/Coptic%20Book.htm and this one: http://shala.addr.com/magazines/. I found them to be a bit confusing alone, so when I didn't understand something I'd just look at the other. It addresses how you attach the covers, too.

OMG! i used the record cover for "you can't be true, dear" as my journal cover for letters to my boyfriend! not as dumb as it sounds. he works on a boat for 28 days and often times doesn't have cell phone reception. i thought it was appropriate because we both kinda look like the people on the cover (i cut a pair of glasses out of a magazine that were similar to mine and mod podged them on!) great minds think alike!

Wow, that's so cool! Actually, I sold these books at a craft sale and the girl with the stall across from me traded me a piece of her gorgeous, way-intricate jewellery for that journal. I felt so honoured. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Freespace Challenge! iPhone App Demo
CGR Trailers - PERSONA Q: SHADOW OF THE LABYRINTH Yukari Trailer
CGR Trailers - PERSONA Q: SHADOW OF THE LABYRINTH Teddie Trailer
CGR Trailers - INFINITE CRISIS Starro Trailer
CGR Trailers - WWE 2K15 Wyatt Entrance Video
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...