A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,606
Currently Running With Scissors:
502 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jordy bag out of t-shirt  (Read 7324 times)
Tags for this thread: jordy_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

roysie
« on: May 24, 2004 08:37:53 PM »

This is my second Jordy bag. This time I used heavier interfacing (fused to every piece of fabric that went into this purse, practically) and it worked out very well, I believe. I made it out of my boyfriend's Rubber Soul t-shirt that was too small for him, yet too large for me. Now I'm the hippest chick on my block!

Here's the outside:

And here's the inside (with cellphone pocket, lipgloss pocket, and writing utensil pocket!):

Thank goodness for wonderful grandfathers who give digital cameras for birthday presents! Without them, this post would never have taken place.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Starsview
Queen of Procrastination

I've been meaning to make myself a crown...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004 08:53:20 PM »

that is an awesome bag! i'm getting ready to convert a too small shirt my friend gave me into a backpack Cheesy
how exactly did you go about making the interior pocket ? mine don't usually come out so finished looking... great bag and even greater band!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thats Mrs. McGonigal to you! No really! ✩10.25.09

wistsportfoliosketchbook
Nycole
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004 08:55:49 PM »

Oh! It's so pretty! I have a question about the pockets though, mainly how did you make them puffy like they are? Every time I try to do pockets, they always lie flat and its a pain toget anything out of them. I tried making them a little square-bottomed but it just didn't work out. Your pockets are perfect. The bag looks really strudy. It's hard to believe it was from a t-shirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roysie
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004 09:34:17 PM »

First of all, thanks for the praise!! I really appreciate it. Cheesy

Second, pockets:

This is all to be done before you sew your 2 pieces of lining together! I forgot to add my
pocket until after I sewed the lining together and it was a mess to sew it on after. You
learn from experience, I guess!

1. Cut out 2 rectangular shapes of your lining fabric the same size.
2. On the bad side (of course), iron on your fusible interfacing on BOTH pieces of lining.
  (Thats the trick to making them stable and puffy.)
3. Stitch along 3 sides, excluding the bottom of the pocket.
4. Turn the pocket right-side out and use a pencil or something poky to get those
  corners sharp!
5. Iron the pocket as flat as you can, then fold over the bottom and iron that so it looks
  more finished when you stitch it onto your lining.
6. If you want to, stitch along the top to give it a more decorative look.
7. Pin the pocket where you want it on your lining. (Remember the bottom fold!) I put
  mine centered about 1.5 inches from the top.
8. Stitch along the edges twice. Once as close to the edge as possible, and then again about
  1/4 inch from the edge, or whatever you think looks nice. If you do this, youll be hard
  pressed to ever get those pockets off! Theyre very sturdy.
9. Nows the time when you get to decide what kind of sections you want in your pocket,
  if any. Just run a vertical stitch up the pocket where you want to put it. I put the items
  in the pocket I plan on storing in there to get an idea where I need to sew. You can use
  chalk or pins to mark it if you dont trust your eye.

Pardon the crude illustration:

« Last Edit: May 24, 2004 09:37:37 PM by Miss Craftypants » THIS ROCKS   Logged

SarahFroggy
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004 10:02:32 PM »

you did a fantastic job. it looks so professional. love the pockets
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goddess
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004 10:27:54 PM »

I covet it! I very rarely covet, but damn, that's cute
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nycole
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004 11:01:22 PM »

Oh wow! I wasn't expecting a full on tute. Thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roysie
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004 05:42:01 AM »

Nycole -- Yeah, I did get a little carried away on that! I hope it helps. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

danaefromclay

hey lets go running.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004 12:03:28 PM »

I'm completely green about DIY as I've gotten an interest in it all! I have this great Dawls shirt with a glow-in-the-dark turtle on it and I would like convert it into a purse such as this one but I have one dumb question! What exactly is interfacing??? Where can you purchase such and how exactly do you use it?? Thank you in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bandages on my legs and my arms from you.
roysie
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004 12:31:09 PM »

danaefromclay -- I have a Dawls shirt with a g-i-t-d koala bear (making the peace sign) on it. So cute!

Anyway, to answer your question, interfacing is this great stuff to pair with fabric to make the item stiffer and sturdier. In purses, it gives them a lot more shape, so they won't flop over. You can get sew-in or fusible interfacing. Fusible means you can iron it directly onto the back of the fabric you're working with. (Read: SO much easier than sew-in!!) It comes in various weights, depending on how much reinforcement the fabric needs. Like, for hats and purses you would need a much heavier weight than you may need in, say, a skirt. You can buy it anywhere that sells fabric, such as Joann's, Hancock's, or even Wal-Mart. I got the interfacing for this purse at Wal-Mart because it's so cheap. That, and Joann's was closed.

Sorry for the lengthy response. I tend to be a little verbose at times!

Anyway, welcome to Craftster and good luck on all your crafty endevours!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Check Out the Sexiest After-Party Gowns from the Golden Globes
Tips For Shopping Like a Pro
Johnny Wujek Shares His Prom Style Tips
Worst Dressed at 2014 Golden Globes
Best Dressed at 2014 Golden Globes
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...