A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL :How to turn a hardcover novel into a sketchbook  (Read 66745 times)
Tags for this thread: sketch_book , tutorial , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mix_tape_hero
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2004 06:05:04 AM »

Wow this is an excellent tutoral!

I'm all for the power tools, so do you think it would rip the paper if I used a drill?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rosered

terror of the highseas

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2004 09:25:32 AM »

I have a hand crank drill, and I used that to make the holes in the paper with another book I made. It worked just fine. It was loads easier too. So go for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kamico
craft, garden, cook, create

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2004 09:17:14 AM »

Instead of a drill, you can also use an awl to punch small holes in the paper, though it will take a bit longer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BrocadeLion
Makers Rule

Boo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2004 08:41:36 AM »

I love it when a simple thing gets me inspired. Almost at the very moment that I was reading this thread yesterday, a friend called to say that he was having a get-together for his birthday in two days. I decided right away that if I could manage it, I was going to make him a book like this. From work, I went straight to the resale store and combed through their book selection, looking for something hardcover, relatively slim, and appropriately ironic. What I found was a book from the "Modern Topics" series about, well, let's just say a controversial subject, which I thought Dave would find kind of amusing.

I followed Rosered's excellent tutorial, basically, with a couple of revisions. Like some other people suggested, I used my Fiskars hand-drill to make the holes. Works very well if the paper groups are firmly held with some binder clips. I also used a phone book under my stack so I didnt drill into my table (which I managed to do anyway). Also, I did not use Coptic stitching to attach my pages -- I used another method which I have seen, but do not know what to call. Maybe it's stab-stitching? Basically, I drilled through the stack of folded pages about 1/4" from the folded edge, then stitched front to back. I used a heavier, colored card stock for the end pages and Spray Mounted the whole thing together. I am really impressed by how well it turned out.

For the finishing touch, I went through the torn-out guts of the book and cut out interesting/amusing pull quotes, which were littered throughout the book in creamsicle orange boxes, trimmed them, ran them through my Xyron machine, and stuck them in the lower right corner of alternate right hand pages. I think Dave is going to be confused at first ("Why did she give me this weird old book?") until he opens it. He should dig t.

It was a really fun project which I managed to complete in one night. I got a little bit of a late start working on it, and I did a couple of things wrong initially, but all in all, discounting shopping, I spent probably 5 or 6 hours on it. I will definitely be doing it again. (I'd send photos, but again, controversial book... and no real camera at my disposal.)

Thanks again for the inspiration and instructions, and tips from everyone else. This is a great fun thing to do!

-Dorion
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rosered

terror of the highseas

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2004 02:03:07 PM »

Sounds like it turned out awesome! Actually I"m planning on making another one of these on the weekend with my drill and some other revised ideas. Hopefully it'll all go well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

msxchuxx
Jai Rox the Mic

dandy

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2004 03:43:29 PM »

wow! this a great tutorial! i have a bunch of books that my dad keep finding at garage sales and stuff [yes, i spend a lot of time reading.] and i've been looking for a new journal that screams "jai rox the mic" now i wont have to spend that extra $12 or so since i have all the materials at home! this is one awesome tutorial! thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

[[a href="www.geocities.com/sotofu"]sTFu[/a]] southern tenant farmers union
ditzyred
Calorie Conquistador

We'll try best as we can to carry on.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2004 12:07:23 PM »

Thanks so much for the tutorial.  I made one about a few weeks ago out of an old Charlotte's Web and some specialized pages (my favorite being dino print with "chomps" cut out) and a bookmark.  And its all due to your tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We strode down the open corridors together in our solitary fancy tasting artichokes, possessing every frozen delicacy, and never passing the cashier.
cheesedip

Llama? Hmmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2004 03:47:02 PM »

I have to try this! I just need to find a mad old book now... I have a friend who would love a book like this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."
- G. B. Burgin
Souldier

make mini ramps... not war

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2004 04:27:09 PM »

Very very very cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://souldier.etsy.com
Handbags, trinkets, and oddities that truly allow you to march to your own beat.

http://petsouldiers.etsy.com
A place where pets and their owners can march to their own beat!

http://marching-souldier.blogspot.com/
A place where I vent. Ha!
Sheila
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2004 07:46:20 AM »

I LOVE YOU.

This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for...We have to make sketchbooks out of old encyclopedias in my fine arts class, we can do whatever we want with them, because they're old. I figured I could do this, but I didn't know how.
I'll just have to buy a few things and I'll be set.
You have no idea how happy and relieved I am, I was panicking looking for directions on how to do this.
You are so awesome.
I'm going to have the spiffiest sketch book ever now.

Thanks for the tutorial, it sounds really easy.

THANK YOU
 Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Sheet Tray Cookie Bar
How to Make Rum-Spiked Grilled Pineapple
4 Super-Simple Banana Snacks You Need to Try
How to Make Meyer Lemon Sponge Kisses
How to Make Milk and Cookie Shots
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...