A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
753 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: apartment dwellers...  (Read 1794 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GhostAcademy
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2005 05:45:29 PM »

Most of the apartments I've lived in have had the no painting rule.  And... I've painted anyway.  I just hate white walls so much.  I figure as long as you paint them back to white when you move out, no one's the wiser. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I read your manifestos and strange religious tracts.  You took me to your library and kissed me in the stacks.

http://www.ghostacademy.blogspot.com  http://www.onfirewithfireflies.blogspot.com
rayno24
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2005 09:11:30 AM »

As long as you don't need your landlord to come in and fix anything. You never know what might break and if you'll get busted and fined if someone sees it.

(i'm such a goody-two-shoes, haha)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onesmallinstrument

I am your pamphleteer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2005 09:26:23 AM »

Another crafter came up with this gem: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=29428.0

I tried it in my office and it worked like a charm.  I get tons of compliments.  I can't do it in my apartment, though, because my landlords are super vigilant about holes in the wall, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"How I don't know what I should do with my hands when I talk to you. How you don't know where you should look, so you look at my hands."
Pedeka

I love being a girl.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005 09:30:28 AM »

I have used rubber cement to hang wrapping paper as wallpaper before. Just check the type of paint......sometime the rubber cement will leave a "grease mark" on the paint that doesnt want to be painted over easily. I have also seen people hang fabric on walls with powdrered starch. You soak the fabric in a starch solution and hang it like wallpaper. The girl that did it swore that the fabric peels right off and the starch solution will just wash off of the walls when you move. I didnt see that part for myself, so don't hold me to it.
I have also used a bizarre arrangement of small ceiling hooks (the holes disappear into nasty popcorn textured ceilings) placed right against the wall with dowel rods hanging across them ( like tiny curtain rods) to hang lightweight things from. That way you dont leave a million holes in the walls and they never seem to check the ceiling unless you take a chunk out of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
your so TRAGIC
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2005 07:55:58 AM »

ohh...

I might have to test out that starch thing...It might work...

as for that ribbon thing...its not really mine and mikes style....although it is a neat idea...maybe for our bathroom or something.

thanks for the help guys....ladies..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
morbid_lady
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2005 12:23:54 PM »

my friend had the same problem. He just hung up some of those bamboo beach mats. He just put up plain ones but it'd probably look really cool if you painted or stenciled some neat images onto em. But even the plain ones w/ the coloured trim looked better than plain white walls.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We wear the mask that grins and lies
It hides our face and shades our eyes
Ah, but let the world dream otherwise
We wear the mask
your so TRAGIC
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2005 04:32:26 PM »

oh I like the bamboo idea.

awesome

thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zenithfish
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2005 06:17:04 PM »

I don't know what your apartment looks like, but i have found that bright, fun curtains make a HUGE difference in the "white wall" department.  and even if you don't have any actual windows, you could always hang a big poster or photo and hang curtains around it like a window. 
Other than that - i don't have too many suggestions for you..yet! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"nothing of me is original, I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known."
Hippie9

The Mythical and Magical Seahorse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2005 01:14:51 PM »

For me, I have enough stress surrounding a move without having to worry about repainting the walls white again!

On our rented walls we've hung batik wall hangings (actually, I think they're sold as sarongs, usually in little kiosks in shopping malls). All I did was clip on caf curtain rings on either corner and hung them on nails....very easy way to add colour!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kim

My blog/showcase of my crafts:  http://kimmadecrafts.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Art Showcase: Spitfire Mk IX
Art Showcase: Avro Arrow Mailbox
Exclusive Look at Resistance
10 Bands Named After Food
10 Biggest Selling Hip-Hop Acts In US History
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...