A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,722
Currently Running With Scissors:
746 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Used Bicycle Parts  (Read 9087 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Rouxbarb

i am not a llama. you are a llama.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2003 11:00:50 AM »

I have used the cogs (the round spikey things) for windchimes (or mobiles for non-windy areas or out of tune cogs.)  Pick the largest ring for the top and select several smaller ones to dangle from this one.  I used fishing line to tie them.  If you are going for the windchime, make sure that the cogs sound fairly pleasant when they bang together (unless you hate your neighbors.)

I have also seen chairs made from pieces of the wheels.

A good degreaser should be available from a bike shop or hardware store.  Eco-friendly ones are available.

Good luck and have fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
begin again

my original tape measure purse, still going strong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2003 12:33:07 PM »

I knew of someone who used an old bikewheel to hang pots and kitchen utensils  from- he secured it to a joist in a ceiling and I believe a chain hung down and attached to 2 or 3 places on the wheel.  He had butcher type hooks that hung from the spokes and utensils hanging from that.  

Cool ideas so far!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sassafras

The Sassy Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2003 09:05:10 PM »

I'm a cyclist and have also pondered the many uses for cast-off bike parts. Looks like y'all covered a lot of them!

I once made a cool little altar/shrine thing with two leftover cogs. I'll try to describe it...

Picture a 5" cog hanging vertically on the wall. I wired a smaller cog (~2.5") horizontally onto this so that it make a shelf for a votive candle. The gears from the smaller cog wedged nicely into the opening on the big cog. So now I've got a little L-shaped shelf.

Embellishment was next. The altar was for friends of mine who were trying to get pregnant. I had a tiny plastic baby from a Mardi Gras king cake lying around in my pile of "useful" stuff. I glued the baby into an old anchovy tin and then wired the tin to the big vertical cog. It made a cool picture frame/mandala effect. Next I added mardi-gras beads around the inside and outside of the tin to add some glitz. I hung a few beads from the candle shelf for a nice dangly effect. Finally, I used alphabet letters and a glitter pipe cleaner to make an arched "BABY" at the top of the tin.

I was so pleased with how the whole thing turned out. Now, a baby shrine may or may not be what you want to make for your honey (might send a few strong signals!) but I thought other people might find this cool.

If anyone wants pictures, feel free to e-mail me. I couldn't figure out how to upload or link to them.

Oh, and SIMPLE GREEN! This is the best darn thing I've found for degreasing yucky bike parts. You can buy it at the supermarket or any of the big discount stores. It's pretty cheap and it's environmentally friendly. The stuff works great, even if you dilute it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

................... ................... ................... ...........
           <<  www.sassycrafter.co m  >>
                     crafty repurposing
................... ................... ................... ...........
miss_mom

Keeping my head above water .... barely!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2004 07:11:25 AM »

If you're looking for a good degreaser that's not super toxic, try Citra-solve. I think it might be made by the same people who made Citra-strip. I know our local bike shop uses this. It works good and smells good too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  - Thomas Edison
craftsurge
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Thank God For Glue

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2004 09:14:54 AM »

Awesome ideas! I will definitely try that degreaser.... now that the holidays are over i can get back to my other projects!!
I will post pictures when I have created something cool. (hopefully that will actually happen- lots of my 'cool ideas' turn into 'not-so-cool  ideas)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rave2550

the mighty duck man himself

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2004 08:00:35 PM »

I say weld or salder it into a sort of sculpture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
njtomboy
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2005 03:42:14 AM »

More ideas!

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_furnishings_mirrors/article/0,1793,HGTV_3432_1389157,00.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Film History Biography of Harold Ramis
Film History Biography of Werner Herzog
Film History Biography of Kathryn Bigelow
Film History Biography of Ray Harryhausen
Film History Biography of Ron Mann
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...