A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,063
Currently Running With Scissors:
431 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Where the heck can I buy lye?!? or even dried soapwort?  (Read 8321 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tomico
« on: November 23, 2005 08:13:12 AM »

I have been searching every where. I have every other ingredient to make soap but I can't seem to find where to get lye. I really don't want to go to the extream of making my own. Pouring water through  a barrel in the woods full of wood ash seems just a bit over zealous. I've been to craft stores and all they sell are the premade soaps. I try looking it up on line and all I get are recipes and lye soaps that are made by other companys. Urgh! Help me!

I have also been looking for a supply of soapwort. I want dried leaves so I can make a shampoo. Again, I run into the problem that I can get the seed packets or a live plant in season or a product that already has it or a recipe that uses it but not the actual dried product.

I live it Pittsburgh, PA so guiding me locally or on line will help.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laureg

*alchemist extraordinaire*

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005 08:18:46 AM »

there's a product called red devil lye at most grocery stores in the states (i think) that's usualy located with the cleaning products. i've nevr seen it in canada, but from all reports, it SHOULD be widely avaolable throughout north america.

i actually got some in pellet form from a chemicals manufacturer in my city. when i talked to him, he gave me this huge (to me, anyways) container for free, because he said that unless i was buying it by the truckload, it didn't make sense to charge me for it. asking around can really pay off! i got mine just by flipping through the yellow pages and making a few calls.  Grin

i hope that helps! if nothing else, you may have to order some online through a soap making supply company as a last resort.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

you are not the boss of me
CosmicCranberry
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005 08:34:40 AM »

red devil lye is not being sold anymore.....stupid meth dealers ruined it for us crafters by making their wacky pills with it..........now nobody can buy it.......
THIS ROCKS   Logged
the.fee.fairy
Faeryish

Flying free

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005 07:15:08 AM »

to add to this, does anyone know of any suppliers in the UK?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'The Secret to living's Not Dying' - Kilnaboy
kitchwitch
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005 07:35:49 AM »

I knew PA was doing away with selling lye, I didn't realize that it was in effect - Cry
Try your local pagan/witchcraft supply stores. They ofter have a really good supply of herbs - and what they don't have, they are usually more than happy to order for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomico
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005 09:29:02 PM »

Thank you, I'll try. I've been to the East End Co-op and requested both products. who knows if either will become available. I tried Goldenseal, an herbal supply store, and Whole Foods but have come up empty handed so far.
  My allergies bother me and the soap I've been using, Dr Bonner's, a bit heavy and harsh on my hair. I've been condtioning with egg yolk, jojoba oil and distilled water about once or twice a week. I just hope I can work out something that will stop making me itch!

Tommie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Xanthia

the goddess of hugs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005 03:40:38 PM »

Try a swimming pool supply company, or a co-op where you can buy it for bulk Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spotlightgirl
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005 11:13:32 AM »

There are a few soaping supply places that sell lye online. Here's a few:

http://www.sarahsspacreations.com/SupplyProducts.asp?Product=Chemicals
http://www.thesoapdish.com/caustics.htm
http://www.chemistrystore.com/Sodium_Hydroxide.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DaBunny

Stay clean. Make soap.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2005 10:10:31 AM »

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com sells soapwort. You can find lye at Lowe's in with the toilet and plumbing things (not the cleaning supplies.) It's called Roebic and is 100% sodium hydroxide. It's $7.99 for 2lbs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rebecca's Soap Delicatessen - Buy soap.
Soap Deli News - My soap blog.
tomico
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005 08:28:43 AM »

Thanks for the help! I just found sights on line on my own that if you google sodium hydroxide you get a couple of chemical companies that will sell it in the Continental USA. $5 lb. at one place. and you have to buy more at another sight. I don't go to Loews because they are anti-union but I may look around for that brand. Thank you. 

http://www.chemistrystore.com/Sodium_Hydroxide.htm
http://shop2.chemassociates.com/shopsite/Chemassoc2/pas-sodiumhydroxide-soapgrade.html

Now, can anyone find the dried soapwort?

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tipsy Affogato Dessert Recipe
Homemade Oreo Cookie Ice Lolly Recipe
How to Throw the Perfect Summer Ice Cream Social
Has Crumbs Bake Shop Found A Savior?
How to Make Chocolate Dipped Peanut-Coated Ice Cream Cones
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...