A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
680 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Can you felt a sweater *just a little bit* to make it fit better?  (Read 1596 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MinniePurl

Oh George, not the livestock!!!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 25, 2003 06:20:57 AM »

I completed a Philospher's Wool Sweater (100% wool) a month or so ago, but it hasn't got much wear. It's far too big for me and even for my husband. Is it possible to felt a sweater *just a little bit* to improve the fit? I'd be looking to shrink it 1-2 inches overall. The cuffs and neck are loose enough that I think I wouldn't have problems with it fitting afterwards, as long as I kept the shrinkage to a few inches. What's the best way to acheive some slight shrinkage?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
impossiblecalm
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2003 08:07:48 AM »

if you have any of the yarn left, i would knit up a swatch and felt that in very small increments and see what the rate of shrinkage is and how the fabric ends up looking. it would be a travesty if you tried to felt the sweater and it got too small! as painful as it would be, it would probably be better to salvage the yarn and knit the sweater again to fit better than to end up with something nobody can wear!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
simone
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2003 08:24:34 AM »

I think trying the swatch first is a great idea. My only advice is that if you do decide to felt that you really monitor the progress closely. Sometimes it goes faster than others!
Good luck!
--Simone
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*chickadeesimone.livejournal.com* www.chick-a-dee.com * www.bazaarbizaare.org * www.magpie-store.com*
EmmaK
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2003 05:47:28 AM »

I just felted/shrunk a sweater of mine.  It turned out really really well.  

If you have nothing to lose, go for it.  It doesn't fit you now, right?

BTW, I didn't mean to shrink my sweater.  I forgot that it was in the bin and I washed it.  It was way too big and now it is perfect.  Lucky I guess, but I now have more faith in felting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chris_wass
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2004 08:51:08 AM »

I was inspired by a thread elsewhere on the site to felt a sweater. Last night I felted/shrank a 3x cashmere sweater down to a l/xl. I inherited the sweater from my mom. The sweater was HUGE on me, but wonderfully soft, so I couldn't bear to part with it. I planned to felt it and then use it as fabric to make a tote bag or something since it has a fun argyle pattern, but magically, it came out the perfect size for me to wear! Very much a happy accident! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop: http://chriswass.etsy.com
The Phoenix United Craft Society: http://www.phucs.com

"To make people free is the aim of art, therefore art for me is the science of freedom." -Joseph Beuys
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2004 03:16:23 PM »

I agree that you should felt a swatch first if you can.  Make sure to measure how much it shrinks both horizontally and vertically.  Most of my felting projects shrink more vertically than they do horizontally.  You might get an oddly propotioned sweater if you aren't careful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TC
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2004 06:43:22 PM »

I would recommend not to do this in the machine, as you may get tight around the body but the arms stay long (this has happened by accident to many of my sweaters) (wah).  However, you can spot-felt by putting the parts of the sweater you want felted more in hot water and agitating by hand.  I did this for a purse that wasn't felting at the same rate and I got it to felt up just right.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Paisley Silk Scarf
How to Make Duct Tape Wallets
Teaching Children How to Knit
How to Create Handmade Notebooks
How to Make Large Crepe Paper Flowers
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...