A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 301,971
Currently Running With Scissors:
635 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ornaments  (Read 3377 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BethKaya

Camarillo Brillo

View Profile WWW
« on: November 22, 2005 10:55:42 AM »

Got any ornament making ideas?
I haven't ventured into this area much yet, and I'm thinking of putting together some ornaments for my boyfriend's mother.

Can you post some finished ones?

or ideas as to how to go about making them?

As a kid we used to use styrofoam balls, straightpins, beads and sequins...

I'm thinking this time I'll do something with Wire and Beads...

thoughts?

ideas?

suggestions?

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect but by the play instinct acting from inner necessity. The creative mind plays with the objects it loves."
-Carl Jung
Modus Operandi
Paint Hussie

handpainted and repurposed vintage items

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005 03:14:27 PM »

Here's a simple ornament I make every year:

Supplies:
White , black and orange acrylic paint
Clothspins (not the spring loaded kind)
Acorns
Toothpics
Fabric of your choice
Glue gun
Paintbrush
Drill

1. Drill hole in the head of the clothes pin, the size of a toothpic. Paint clothspins white, 2 coats.
2. Paint end of toothpick orange, about a half an inch. Cut orange part off. Glue nose into hole.
3.Glue acorn top onto top of clothspin for hat.
4.Cut fabric 1/2 inch wide strips. Cut to desired length for scarf. Fray ends of scarf. Tie around the neck of the clothspin.
5. Dip a toothpick in black paint and paint two dots for eyes, and five dots for a mouth. Add 3 dots for buttons down the front of the clothspin.

No need for a hanger on this ornament, you just push him down onto the tree branch!

I wish I had a picture at the moment. I will try and post one tomorrow if that would help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shops! http://www.enamor.etsy.com

enamorweddingshttp://www.enamorweddings.etsy.com

Pinteresthttp
janakisses

I live in my own little world, but you can visit!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005 03:48:33 AM »

I love to make ornaments.  The only thing that is bought on my tree is the lights!  Here are my favorites, I will have to post pictures after I dig them and the tree out of the attic in a couple weeks (I cannot put it up early, or I have to redecorate it every day after the cats ramsack it all night!)

1) Angels:
       I took some really wide lace, about 5-6 inches tall and about 8 inches long, and folded over the top inch, sewed a running stitch and gathered, leave the tails of the thread on, set aside.  Cut an 8 inch circle out of any color lamme' or sparkly material.  Wrapp the cirlce around a 1 inch styrofoam ball.  Holding the ball and "skirt" in place, wrap the gathered lace around the ball, and tie the ends of thread tight.  Take a 8 inch piece of wire edge ribbon and fold the two ends into the middle, pinch and hot glue.  This is where I also tie a loop to hang the ornament to the tree.  Now glue the "wings" to the "body" and hang!  I have about 20 of these on a 6 foot tree and they fill it in very nicely.  You can adjust sizes of lace ,circles, and ribbon to make them bigger, smaller, longer skirts, bigger wings, etc.

2) Homespun:
     I used my food dehydrator and dried apple and orange slices.  Picked up some 3 inch cinnamon sticks at the dollar store and some rafia.  I got a 1/4 yard of the homespun fabric and ripped it in strips.  Now put it all together.  I fold a piece of rafia in half to form my hanging loop then thread it through the middle of an apple, tie it around a cinnamon stick, now go through an orange, another cinnamon stick, repeat until it is as long as you want, tie the bottom with a strip of material.

3) Presents:
   Got 20 sponges for a 1.00 at the Everything For A Dollar store, cut them into 1 x 1 inch squares.  Wrapped them up in pretty foil type wrapping paper, tied curling ribbon around them and curled the ends.  Put the hanging hook on the back where the ribbon crosses and hang.

This year I am adding beaded ball covers.  I found a bead cover pattern for the glass balls and have done 24 of them.
I know this is hard to follow without pics, sorry.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
craft-o-matic
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005 09:09:34 AM »

I made a Georgia ornament this year and I plan on making others and embroidering something like "Greetings from Georgia!" or "Have a peachy Christmas", etc. to give to our family. Since my husband is in the military and we will move around alot, I thought it would be fun to make a state each time we move and atleast put the date on it.

The "state" is only 3 inches tall. The back is solid green like the color in the ribbon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
halfjackd
Confusing people since 1978

The attention just encourages her.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005 11:05:31 AM »

Here's a little miniature hat and mittens that I knitted last night.  The hat is about 2 1/2 inches tall with the brim folded up and the mittens are about 2 inches tall. 

Both of the patterns were free online:

Hat

http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/holminihats.htm

Mittens

http://www.maggiesrags.com/freeminimit.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If all else fails, hide.  It works for bunnies.

My blog:
Chaotic Crafter

26/100 ATCs completed for the 100 Theme Challenge
msmeow
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005 11:07:53 AM »

So cute!  They would make great present toppers too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BethKaya

Camarillo Brillo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005 09:01:41 AM »

Thanks!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect but by the play instinct acting from inner necessity. The creative mind plays with the objects it loves."
-Carl Jung
Phoenyx
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2005 09:37:42 AM »

I try to make at least one or two ornaments to add to the tree every year.   Last year, I was working with polymer clay, so I made polymer "candies" for the tree.  This year, I learned to make socks, so...

These are minor variations of Knitty.com's Training Sock . These are about 5"=6" high, done with size 5 needles instead of the size 7 given in the pattern.  Since there's no real guage for the pattern, you could make them even smaller, using smaller needles and yarns.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005 09:44:54 AM by Phoenyx » THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeaG
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2005 09:55:47 AM »

They are really cute!
Gr,
BeaG
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlooCanoe

Pit knitters unite!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2005 10:22:21 AM »

A few simple ideas:

1.  Roll a wine bottle cork up in bright shiny xmas wrapping paper.  tie the ends up with ribbon so that it looks like a christmas cracker.  make a loop of black or invisible thread to hang it with.

2.  hot glue gun 3 cinnamon sticks of different lengths together in a bundle.  wrap red and/or gold ribbon around the middle and tie in a bow. make a loop of black or invisible thread to hang it with.

3.  using old sheet music (or print some off the web), cut into 3"-4" lengths and roll up very tightly.  hot glue gun 3 rolls of different lengths together in a bundle.  wrap red and/or gold ribbon around the middle and tie in a bow. make a loop of black or invisible thread to hang it with.

and the easiest of all (and yummiest)...
4.  take gold foil-wrapped chocolate coins and make a loop to hang them with (I take invisible thread on a needle, poke the needle through the foil, pull a loop through and tie in a knot). This also works well with miniature foil-wrapped chocolate bars (the 2" long ones) as they look like little presents hanging on the tree, and all the foil catches the light nicely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have you hugged your mod today? Smiley

"What I need.... is some wool." (Miss Marple)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Craft Flying Bird
How to Make Your Own Valentine Cards
How to use etching powder on glass items
The Benefits of Knitting
How to Do Block Printing
Latest Blog Articles
Hooray for the Red, White, and Blue
Meatless Monday: TVP Chik'n Nuggets
@Home This Weekend: Colorful Garden Chairs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...