A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,371
Currently Running With Scissors:
475 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Old Japanese Typewriter Keys ?!?!  (Read 2623 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

daisypirate

good, old-fashioned crafter gal

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2004 05:56:23 AM »

hello, first time poster here and i'm looking for craft ideas, please!

i came across an old japanese typewriter that was being thrown out by my employer. the typewriter itself was much too heavy for me to justify keeping, but the keys were pretty cool so i turned the typewriter over and dumped out all the keys... about 2,000+ of them! thank goodness for the age of computers, eh?

the keys are small, rectangular, made of a light, silvery metal and just a tad smaller than a cigarette butt.

if you are curious, look at the link below. then, click on the picture to show a demonstration of how these typewriters were used. the short video gives a close view of the keys.
http://www.honco.net/japanese/05/page1.html

now for my question! what the heck can i do with these keys?! each key has a different chinese character on them and i've sorted out about 300 characters that have nice/interesting meanings, like "mother" or "laugh." i thought about jewellry, but i've no idea how to go about drilling/soldering/etc. as i've never done metal craft before.

any help/ideas would be very appreciated!

xo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is the nature of this SIG?
ForevrBee
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004 06:01:38 AM »

Ah, you got a double listing on this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Damn the Man, Save the Empire!"
  ~Mark, Empire Records
VoodooToaster
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004 07:16:36 AM »

Give them to me, ha ha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flamefeather
fnord

meow dammit!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004 01:38:00 PM »

if it's like western type, the characters are backwards on the plates so that they print right.  might try using them for their intended use... printing!  they're like mini metal stamps.  I have a set of english letter stamps that I use in Polymer clay all the time... it'd be so cool to use kanji characters the same way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wasabipeasrule

Nuffin' but muffins

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004 01:42:33 PM »

the first thing that comes to mind is jewelry. If you could somehow make a bracelet or necklace...huh boy would that be cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Um, hi everyone, I'm sarah, and I'm a craftaholic...
Brandi
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004 01:44:23 PM »

Give them to me, ha ha!

I was just thinking that...Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am gone for 5 days, earings will go out, don't worry, I am very busy and very overwhelmed... sorry about all this.
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004 05:39:55 PM »

I totally agree about using them with polymer clay!.... would look really cool with metallic powder (like Pearl Ex, etc.) rubbed over the top with a finger so that you had Chinese characters in the color of the clay sheet, and a gold background, e.g.

If you're interested in doing that at all, you can find lots of how to's on these pages:

http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/stamping.htm
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/powders_metallicwaxes.htm

Diane B.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008 12:12:46 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Jason
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2004 06:30:26 PM »

Is there anything on the back of the keys that may have held them in place on the typewriter?
I have a bunch of typewriter keys that have a shank attachment on the backside that I've used to make cuff links.
And buttons, of course.

and just for the record, I'd much rather put up with a newbie's multiple postings
than a "senior member's" constant reprimands.
welcome aboard, and be sure to let us know how it turns out!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
iqjones
Who's house? Run's house!

Trying to keep it gold...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2004 09:34:38 PM »

Do I have this right-- You have the keyboard keys, the equivalent of the letters I am punching on my plastic keyboard right now. Unless they are etched, they wouldn't be good for stamping, and, were they etched, the characters would come out backwards, which is cool, if that's what you are going for-- just the design element. I think it'd be cool if you took the best looking/most interesting keys and used them in/around a picture: have a picture in a shadow box type frame & glue on the keys as a border;  or take old, semi-interesting pictures & embellish them by adding in random keys.
Whatever you do with them, I hope you post pictures-- I would be most interested in seeing the results, wherever or however many places you post them;)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All the goo we use, reviewed!
http://brainybeautys.blogspot.com
daisypirate

good, old-fashioned crafter gal

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2004 09:48:40 PM »

thanks, everyone, for the suggestions! i really am leaning towards some kind of jewellry. the stamps are sooo tiny and thin that it is really hard to read when stamped on anything but paper. :-(  but, i am happy to learn about polymer clay and all the possibilities there are!

no mind "senior member's" reprimands -- it just makes me laugh :-) but thanks for sticking up for me J/A/S/O/N! xo

Do I have this right-- You have the keyboard keys, the equivalent of the letters I am punching on my plastic keyboard right now.

Hi! thanks for responding! My keys are not from a computer keyboard or anything, they are actually printing stamps from an old typewriter!

I think it'd be cool if you took the best looking/most interesting keys and used them in/around a picture: have a picture in a shadow box type frame & glue on the keys as a border;  or take old, semi-interesting pictures & embellish them by adding in random keys.
Whatever you do with them, I hope you post pictures-- I would be most interested in seeing the results, wherever or however many places you post them;)

OOHH!!! i like that idea, too! and it reminds me -- i have some crafts at home that i should post here. wow, im starting to really love this site! (and can't wait to have my students try and make a purse out of candy wrappers!)

i love you all!!! will post pictures!

PS - about making jewellry.... i dont know what kind of equipment i need, i dont know the names of pieces of jewellry-making parts, etc. id really love it if someone could point me in the right direction! also, i live in japan so i dont have access to as many crafting supplies as i could find in the states. still, im sure i can make something cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is the nature of this SIG?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Grilled Cheeseburgers
Eggs in a Nest Recipe
Chocolate Peanut Butter Treat Recipe
Simple and Satisfying Sliders Recipe
Quick Easy Recipes for Busy Moms
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce
Mountain Views
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...