A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,947
Currently Running With Scissors:
400 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet version of julsey723's capelet - ***PATTERN ON PAGE 2***  (Read 63967 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , capelet , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ttchica78

Left handed hooker

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005 10:48:26 AM »

Looks great!
Homespun is the best yarn, isn't it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fadedpink
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005 10:50:51 AM »

I, too, am excited for a pattern. what kind of yarn would you recommend?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Laamissa
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005 11:10:10 AM »

it looks awesome on you!  It is super cute and very flattering
I am very excited for this pattern....you have people waiting in suspense (how exciting)
Im a very big fan of seamless crochet patterns and this looks like one of them YAY!!!

I think lion brand homespun is soft but I always find it so hard to work with bc it can be difficult to see the sts.  it looks so nice for this project, i may have to retry my homespun skills back out.
~M
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*D.I.Y or BUST!*~

www.Pumpky.etsy.com
lovelyscrubs
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005 12:39:17 PM »

i would like the pattern also that shruf is lovely
THIS ROCKS   Logged
babbling
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2005 01:25:42 PM »

This is perfect!  A word I don't use lightly.  Can't wait to see the pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Laziness will cause you pain
gretelgrrl
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2005 02:54:28 PM »

oh my gosh!  I love it!!!!!

You did an amazing job - did you make it up by sight?  or did you convert the knit pattern?
Either way, marvelous work. I love the stitches...
and would also love to try my hand at the pattern!

Nice yarn choice, too. 

Take care....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss_joy
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2005 06:37:21 PM »

that is beautiful!! would you please post the pattern. thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

miyoko79

Sigh...it's too true.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2005 06:45:08 PM »

Thanks for the responses, ladies!  Here is julsey723's original knitting pattern.

Here's my attempt at a crochet pattern:

Materials:
Lion Brand Homespun, a little over 1 skein (although I'm a large, if you're a medium I bet you could get by with just 1)
Size P crochet hook
Brooch (I got mine at the Dollar Spot at Target)

Take your neckline and arm measurements - I got out a T-shirt that fits just right, and measured the neckline and arm circumferences.  I ended up with 18" at the neck, and 14" around each arm.

Ribbing: You basically fake a 1x1 rib.  The gauge is 3 rows = 1 inch, so I ended up with 54 rows = 18 inches.  I added one row so the ribs are symmetrical (so you'll want an odd number of rows).  The pattern is ch 6, *ch1 and turn, sc into the back loops only,* repeat from the * until you have enough rows.

Body: Ch 1, turn, and sc down the side of the ribbing.  You'll end up with 1 stitch less than you had rows.  I'm not exactly sure how I picked up the stitches, I just kind of winged it Smiley  At the end of the row, ch 3 and turn (ch 3 counts as 1 dc)

The body is divided into 5 parts: left front, left sleeve, back, right sleeve, right front.  To figure out where your increases go, divide the number of stitches by 6.  I ended up with 54 stitches/6 = 9 (you can fudge it a bit if you don't have a multiple of 6).  So I got 9 stitches for each section, and 18 in the back.  I put the increases away from the sleeves, so for my first row, I had:

8 dc (including the turning ch 3), increase, 9 dc, increase, 16 dc, increase, 9 dc, increase, 8 dc.  Ch 3 and turn.  *The increase is dc-ch2-dc.*

For each subsequent row, just dc even until you get to the increase from the previous row.  Make sure you dc into the dc's that make up the sides of the increase (this makes your increase for the new row), and dc-ch2-dc into the ch2 space.  So you'll get something like this:

dc   dc   dc   dc   dc  ch  ch  dc   dc   dc   dc   dc   dc
dc   dc   dc   dc       ch     ch             dc   dc   dc   dc

Continue until the increases reach around your arm.  If you measure from the first increase to the second, it should be about your arm circumference, although I ended up having to do one more row and then close up an extra row on the arm (I'll explain that in a minute).  You can use scrap yarn and tie the increases together to try it on and see if it fits.

Once you have enough rows, start your next row, but when you get to the first increase dc it together with the second increase.  Congratulations, you just made a sleeve!  Continue across the back, then dc the next two increases together, and finish up across the front.  After that, just do enough rows on the body (dc even, no more increases) until the body is as long as you want it to be.

Going back to the sleeves, take the two stitches on either side of the increases and dc them together (if you added an extra row like I did earlier, otherwise skip that), then dc around the sleeve.  You can add more rows if you want the sleeve to be longer.

And that's it!  I swear it's much simpler than I just made it sound.  julsey723's pattern calls for ribbing at the sleeves and bottom as well, but I think this version hangs better without them, and besides the ribbing is a pain Smiley  I washed mine this morning, and it came out of the dryer so soft!  I'm going to make another one in Baroque (a nice light purple with a bit of pink).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It turns out they do make hats in my size. They are called "BUCKETS" and they sell them at the hardware store."
babbling
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2005 09:28:21 AM »

I just read your pattern for about the 18th time.  I think it makes sense.  I'm itching to get out of work so I can go home and try it out.  Maybe by the time I get to NYC tomorrow I'll have a new capelet.

Thanks for taking the time to write that all down.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Laziness will cause you pain
redheadedali

I don't know what that means. - Brennan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2005 11:02:51 PM »

This is so great! I am probably going to whip up a couple of these for Christmas presents.

Alison
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This is why I suggested attack dogs, but no, my mother wanted an alpaca.- Logan, Veronica Mars

http://redheadedali.livejournal.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cooking With Rich Future Pizza Recipe
Super Bowl Party Food - Part 2 of 2
Super Bowl Party Food - Part 1 of 2
Spicy Guacamole
How to Cook Caribbean Halibut
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...