A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,960
Currently Running With Scissors:
467 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Saltine Crackers..just curious  (Read 2120 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tikkytak2006
Katie Marie

.the angel of music is very strict.

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2005 02:16:53 PM »

I would just like to know, what are the interesting things that you use saltine crackers for?

Oh Yeah..and are soda crackers the same as saltine crackers? If not..than what is a soda cracker?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005 02:41:29 PM by tikkytak2006 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.kmlphotography.piczo.com
*i'm just an aspiring photographer taking it one beautiful sunset at a time*
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005 02:24:24 PM »

My Grandma has told stories of making them into "Mock Apple Pie" during the Depression, but I am a little skeptical/horrified by the idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005 03:12:37 PM »

Here's something fun to do: soak the crackers in water until they're a bit mushy (the correct mushiness: soft, but still held together slightly - tricky!), then bake 'em at 350 for 8 minutes or so. They puff up and no longer resemble crackers! Crunchy fun for all! Sprinkle some parmesan or herbs on top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trifarina

apathetic misanthrope

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005 03:30:46 PM »

I've only heard of using Ritz crackers for the apple pie, it's actually pretty good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweetpadee

I'll diffuse you!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005 03:35:11 PM »

My mom crumbles them and puts them on casseroles.

You can have a little bit of fun with your friends/family too and do the Saltine Cracker Challenge... Hee hee... Try to see if anyone can eat 6 crackers within one minute, without anything to drink and swallowing all 6. See what you find out...

Oh and at the bottom of this page you can find a receipe finder:
http://www.nabiscoworld.com/brands/brandlist.aspx?SiteId=1&CatalogType=1&BrandKey=premium&BrandLink=/premium/&BrandId=80&PageNo=1

From what my boss told me Soda Crackers are Saltine Crackers, I looked it up on the internet and didn't get very much info on Soda Crackers.

Hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
allisone

a plum, floating in perfume, served in a man's hat

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005 03:51:11 PM »

Try looking up saltine toffee on google.
It is a really awesome, quick, cheap candy. It goes something like this:
LINE THE COOKIE SHEET WITH FOIL!!! (very important - learn from my mistakes Smiley )
then melt a cup of butter or margarine (I've used both) and a cup of brown sugar together over low heat.  Boil for 3 mins.
Put one layer of saltines in the cookie sheet. You can break them to make them fit puzzle style if needed.
Pour the butter/sugar mixture over the crackers. Push the crackers down with a spoon to make sure they are covered in the mixture. Then carefully (molten sugar does NOT feel good on the arms) put into a 400 deg oven for 5 mins.
Pull it out of the oven, sprinkle with chocolate chips and let it cool.  Then break it up and try not go into sugar shock.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005 06:50:33 AM by allisone » THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005 07:39:24 PM »

I've only heard of using Ritz crackers for the apple pie, it's actually pretty good!

Oh maybe it was ritz. I just can't get my mind over the crackers = apples conundrum.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
crazyjayblue

living for summer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005 10:09:03 PM »

This post just reminded me of one of my favourite treats a family friend used to make for us when we were kids. It actually originally used Ritz crackers, but saltine crackers work in a pinch. You basically line a cookie sheet with crackers, then you melt some chocolate in a double boiler and coat all the crackers with a layer of chocolate, then freeze them, or refrigerate until hardened. They are so surprisingly good. The salty, sweet and crunchy mixes so well together, and they last forever in the freezer for when you're craving something a little sweet. So good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Era Vera
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005 12:48:28 AM »

My mom used to take a saltine cracker and make a 'nest' of tuna, and then fill the nest with cottage cheese. They were called birdsnests, the cracker being the branch the nest was on, the tuna the nest, and the cottage cheese the eggs. I would only eat them if they didn't have the 'eggs' because I hated (and still hate) cottage cheese, but the kids she nannied loved them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://eravera.blogspot.com/ <-rarely updated crafting blog
http://modaveloce.blogspot.com/ <-fashion-y blog with some diy and photography/art stuff
acfcheung
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005 08:48:19 PM »

I would just like to know, what are the interesting things that you use saltine crackers for?

Oh Yeah..and are soda crackers the same as saltine crackers? If not..than what is a soda cracker?
I just eat my Saltines with soup and chili. Sometimes I just eat Saltine crackers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Julia Sweeney on Motherhood
Julie Sarkissian on Her Lead Character From Dear Lucy
Sabin Willett on the Inspiration Behind Abide With Me
The Hormone Cure: Easy Tips For Better Sleep
The Hormone Cure: Easy Tips For Improving Your Sex Life
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...