A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
529 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Warning: *BRIGHT* Colors Ahead!  (Read 5436 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kmfishburn

Soon to be out of Nursing School Exile!!!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: November 20, 2005 08:32:05 PM »

My baby has just moved from her crib to her "big girl bed" and we decided that we should redecorate her room to celebrate that milestone.  As we're renting an apartment right now, we couldn't just paint the walls and change the bedding. And we didn't want a bland, blah room for our little dynamo, so we decided on a BRIGHT color scheme of hot pink and purple (or "puh-po", as the munchkin says).  We're not finished yet, but I thought I'd post some of what we've got done so far...

I apologize in advanced for the poor lighting in the photos.  Our digital camera's flash isn't working.... *Sigh* Technology, eh?

This is a photo of the dresser that my husband painted.  It's a really well built dresser, but the wood was stained that almost greenish-blonde late 1960's stain and neither my husband or I could stand it.  We'd actually tried to sell this furniture a few times and couldn't find any takers. Yeah.  That ugly. So we painted.  Had to get the bright colors in somehow since the walls are white!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kmfishburn/detail?.dir=6ff6&.dnm=9c06scd.jpg&.src=ph

The next photo is of the matching nightstand. Same original yucky stain. Same colors of paint.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kmfishburn/detail?.dir=6ff6&.dnm=63cdscd.jpg&.src=ph

I couldn't find any lamps that were fun and young that matched the colors of the room, so I decided to make my own shades.  I found the lamp base at the local Meijer store for $14.99 (cheaper than if I would have made them myself and exactly what I wanted!) and then got a plane lamp shade at Michaels to decorate.  I found some bright pink tissue paper, some paper flower petals, some hanging beads and some ribbon and went to work with my trusty friend, Mod Podge.  For my first endeavor in the realm of making a lamp or decoupaging, I'm pretty proud of my handiwork...  Wink  Here's the lamp off:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kmfishburn/detail?.dir=6ff6&.dnm=5bbdscd.jpg&.src=ph

and here's the lamp on:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kmfishburn/detail?.dir=6ff6&.dnm=e663scd.jpg&.src=ph

I decided that the walls were a bit plain too and even though I'm not a very artistic person when it comes to painting or drawing, I thought I'd whip up some sort of wall art.  So I got some inexpensive foam board at Michael's, some bright tempera paints, pulled out some art sponges that we use for art projects and paint brushes and came up with this:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kmfishburn/detail?.dir=6ff6&.dnm=e060scd.jpg&.src=ph

(Goodness, I need to take some better photos....)

The things that I'm still working on are the crazy bright bed quilt (just have to get the backing on, bind it and quilt it... once again, a first for me), crocheting an afghan for the foot of her bed, painting some bookshelves that are in the room and rearranging the furniture so it flows a bit better.  But I'm pretty proud of what we've accomplished so far and would love feedback or suggestions.  (This is my first posting to show what I have been crafting so I'm a little nervous about the first "unveiling", but I'm always trying to improve my crafting, so I think it's important to share.)  Thanks for looking!  Smiley

edited to figure out photo gliches....
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010 12:46:58 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
redstar13
"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan. " -Tom Landrey

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005 08:37:40 PM »

The links won't work Sad

I keep getting a "The File You Are Looking For Is Inaccessible" message
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DementedSoul
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005 08:40:53 PM »

You will need to go into your Yahoo photo privacy settings and make them Public Smiley. Cant wait to see the pics!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmfishburn

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005 08:54:56 PM »

I *THINK* I got it.... *smacks forehead with palm of hand* DOH! Forgot to change the images to public access...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DementedSoul
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005 09:00:06 PM »

Awwwwwww how cute!!!!!! I wish I had a lil girl to decorate for! I love the lamp!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmfishburn

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005 11:29:51 PM »

Thanks muchly!  Grin 

Yeah, our daughter is an endless sorce of entertainment and inspiration... everyone should go out and get themselves one! hehe Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CatyX
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005 11:37:15 PM »

I love it. The dresser and nightstand have to be my favourites though, they look so awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ana_Ng

There is more to life than increasing its speed.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005 04:59:20 PM »

Oooh yay!  I looove the dresser and nightstand.  The lamp is really cool, too.  Nice job! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmfishburn

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005 07:59:51 PM »

Thanks so much!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GroggyFroggy
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006 03:29:07 PM »

Ohhh I had missed this. Just gorgeous! Any little girl would be lucky to have that room (and parents who care enough to do all that work!) Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...