A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 305,729
Currently Running With Scissors:
549 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: glamorous crochet ring - now with uber glamorous tutorial  (Read 101911 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , ring  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

starmeg
« on: May 23, 2004 02:38:51 PM »

Using a cunning combination of elastic and beads you too can crochet glamorous rings just like this one:

although it is not obvious in that picture, the beads are those white-iridescent ones, so it catches the light quite fetchingly and draws lingering stares from attractive strangers.

And now, here it is, the Amazing Crochet Bling Bling Tutorial.....

This is a pretty simple project, a bit fiddly.  It uses crab stitch (also called reverse single crochet), which is where you put the hook in from the back instead of the front when you work a single crochet.  You can find out about crab stitch here: http://crochet.about.com/library/weekly/aa112997.htm

To make a ring you will need some elastic thread (like the kind on your underwear), some beads in whatever colours and sizes you like (I use the little seed beads and some slightly bigger ones every now and then for effect; you can use faceted or smooth beads), and a hook.  I used a No. 1 steel hook (2.75mm).

Before you start, you need to string  however many beads you want to use onto the elastic.  So you need to figure out how wide you want the ring to be, and how long you want the beaded part to be.  I was running out of my little beads, so I made a thin ring, only three stitches wide.  I did eight rows of beads, so I strung  24 beads onto the elastic (3 x 8 = 24).

Now, make a chain, adding a 4 chain turning chain.  Turn and work a treble crochet (tch) in the fifth chain from the hook.  Work tch in each chain until the end.  Work 2 more rows of tch.

As you can see, it doesn't look very neat.  This is okay because you won't see the underside of the ring when it's on your finger (unless you turn your hand over).  You will find, when working the elastic, that is is stretchy.  wow.  Don't pull it really tight, but do stretch it a little as you go.  If it is too tight it will be a tight mass and hard to find the stitches, if it is too loose it won't have much stretch.  Let it move through your fingers pretty easily.

Here is a warning: there are web resources for crocheting with beads, and they might be better than my description. 

The first thing you need to do is move the first bead toward the hook and make a ch-1 turning chain, 'trapping' the bead in the chain.  Then to work the first row, basically, I move a bead over to the hook before I start a single crochet, then I yarn over, so that the bead is in the loop.  Then I finish the stitch, hence 'trapping' the bead on the other side of the crochet.  Here's some pictures:

move the bead over

yarn over hook

ready to finish off the stitch

where'd the bead go?  (it's 'trapped' on the other side, duh.)

When you've finished the first row of beads, made another turning chain, then work the next row in crab stitch.  You do this because inserting the hook from the 'back' of the crochet means that the bead is trapped on the side of the crochet closest to you.  If you just work each row in single crochet then the beads would be on alternate sides, instead of the same side.

Here it is halfway through:

When you've worked the beads into the crochet, make your next turning chain a 4-ch, then turn and work the row in treble crochet.

Now, wrap the crochet around your finger.  It will probably need 1-2 more rows so that it will comfortably fit on your finger without pinching or sagging.  Work those rows like the last.  Then, when it's the right length, hold the two ends together and single crochet them together.  Bind off and cut the end of the elastic.

Ta-da.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2004 07:46:14 PM by starmeg » THIS ROCKS   Logged
vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004 04:46:15 PM »

whoa! I'd love a tutorial
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
piggySTY
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2004 06:19:00 PM »

absolutely gorgeous! i love it -- and i'd love a tut
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pickledkitty
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2004 07:11:33 PM »

Sweet! I'll be copying that, it is great! Luckily I already have all the ingredients!

Besides the copying is the best way of complimenting!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
joeyjojo666

Long Live Godzilla.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004 03:09:39 PM »

Wow, I never thought of that. I know what I'm doin tonight...

Thanks for sharing the idea.
-Joey
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For my latest stuff visit my Etsy shop:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=727

Also featured at:
http://www.ilikeseamonsters.com/catalog/
starmeg
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004 03:09:56 PM »

Thanks for the feedback!

I will put up a tutorial soon (although it's quite easy, if not a little fiddly), then you too can be glamorous with the crochet bling bling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
joanieponytail

must make stuff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004 07:03:39 PM »

Beautiful. My hook and I await the tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jesus loves me, this I know.
arizabif
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2004 03:10:32 AM »

Here's my attempt at the crochet ring.  I need to re-do it, because it's too tight to wear on my ring finger.  I also don't like the combo of white elastic and red beads.  Maybe I'll be able to find some red elastic for a re-do.  Pretty cool, in a 1960's cocktail party sort of way.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Crowshay
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2004 03:18:36 AM »

Hello,
I am a newbie and just looked at your lovely beaded ring.  As soon as I upload a picture of my own designed and crocheted with beads suncatcher I will attempt to post it on Crafsters.  Crocheting with beads is fun and easy the way I do it.  Thank you for your design and I will use it for granddaughters.
from Crowshay
THIS ROCKS   Logged
svava
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2004 12:25:16 PM »

I think that this yarn http://www.halcyonyarns.com/Yarn_pages/yarn181.html could also work for the ring (though I haven't tried) then you could have that nice metallic contrasting with the beads.  Also, thin elastic is sold in many colors, often used to help socks keep their shape.  I hope that this helps generate more inspirartion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Granny Squares
Creative Birthday Card Styles
Creative Wrapping Paper Styles
How to Read Crochet Patterns
How to Triple Crochet
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...