A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,194
Currently Running With Scissors:
687 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wisconsin Thrift stores....  (Read 19350 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flyingfish
« on: May 23, 2004 01:41:00 PM »

Let's put together a list of Wisconsin thrift's for when we are driving out of our towns on road trips.....

Milwaukee has a ton and I actually found an online list you can refer to that is awesome!!!
http://onmilwaukee.com/articles/resale.html

anyone else? especially those of you off the beaten track!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Flying Fish Design... ))    -:|:-
                              .  .))
                             ((.   ..    -:|:-  www.flyingfishgallery.com
                             -:|:-      ((.*
funkstart
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004 01:46:46 PM »

Hi--

I live in Madison, and there are absolutely TONS of thrift stores here, good and bad.  I actually worked at one of them for awhile (a strange experience...).  Do you want a list with addresses and stuff?  I could post them right here, I guess.  It would be quite a long, long list.  But a GOOD one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flyingfish
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2004 01:56:53 PM »

Yeah, let's list em' here. I just put a link because there is a page of address all organized and everything... i'll just paste it right here to get things going....

Salvation Army
1725 S. 13th St.
8601 S. Howell Ave., Oak Creek
313 Bank St., Waukesha
6341 S. 27th St., Franklin
7711 W. Greenfield Ave., West Allis
4747 W. Bradley Rd., Brown Deer

Goodwill
6055 N. 91st St.
5675 S. 27th St.

St. Vincent DePaul(aka St. Vinny)
1862 Fond du Lac Ave.
7125 W. Greenfield Ave.
2320 W. Lincoln Ave.

Value Village
324 W. North Ave
324 W. North Ave.
729 S. Layton Blvd.
3100 E. Layton Ave.
Cash only, Closed Sundays. Not huge, but good selection of new and vintage clothes organized by type. Not much for knicknacks, a basement full of well-priced furniture. Sales include half-price clothing.

Disabled American Veterans
1730 S. 13th St.
2430 N. Murray Ave.
7632 W. Hampton Ave.

Thrift Mart
A former Kohl's food store, the National Avenue location was better when it was a Vietnam Vets thrift, but interesting merchandise can still be found. The usual color tag specials of the day; it's well organized. Clothes, household goods. Not much jewelry or furniture. Handy ATM inside.

7619 W. National Ave.
10220 W. Silver Spring Dr.

St. Jude the Apostle
734 Glenview Ave.

St. Mark's Episcopal Church
2618 N. Hackett Ave.

St. Mary's Thrift Shop
13000 Watertown Plank Rd., Elm Grove

St. Paul's Thrift Shop
1324 N. Marshall St.

St. Sebastian's
1725 N. 54th St.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.  .))
ubiquitouspixie

http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/wisconsintreasures

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2004 05:55:06 PM »

I'd love a list of GOOD madison thrift shops.  I went to Goodwill today and was somewhat disappointed...seems their prices keep getting higher.  I mean, $13 for a used dress? They are suppose to be $7.99 but I guess the take the nicer ones and mark them up to $13 which i think is wrong.  And every time I find a t-shirt I like it's a $3.99 one instead of $1.99...I'm getting fed up with them.

I do find a lot of good stuff at garage sales as well but you have to really look because most of it is baby clothes are old farty stuff LOL
Ally
THIS ROCKS   Logged

milwjamie
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2004 03:18:09 PM »

It's sad in the past few years because a lot of good Milwaukee thrifts have closed Sad  is anyone else really missing the Thriftmart on S. 76th?? Or the other thrifts that used to be in downtown West Allis?? I think Thriftmart broke my heart though... Any new ones open that anyone's excited about?
--Jamie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flyingfish
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2004 11:41:42 PM »

There is a newer thrift way out on National which i'v passes on the way to the salvation army on National and 77th... it's something-or-other for the blind and it's in a strip mall on the left side of the street if you're heading west, before you hit joanne fabric (which is on the right).... these are silly directions but i don't know the address... they have cheep furniture there and put stuff out daily... barley any records though....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.  .))
ravenheart

My hobby is trouble

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2004 07:07:39 PM »

The only thift store I go to regularly right now is Value Village on North. I've gotten some good clothing there, a like-new esspresso machine for 3$, and they have a great selection of wierd records. I was sad to see the SalVal on Prospect close, not to mention all the resale that used to be on Greenfield. Why are they all closing? And is it related to all the used bookstores that have closed too? I know, I know, getting off topic.... Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
binny
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2004 08:21:59 AM »

I like the Habitat for Humanity ReStore in Madison.  It's new & used building materials.  We just bought a cool old door ($15) and pretty art deco style light fixture ($5) there this weekend. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Idigmusic

Did I hear a niner in there?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2004 06:00:19 PM »

oh, I miss the thriftmart, too!! It was one of my favorites!!! The goodwill out in Waukesha is usually pretty good, too, if your out that way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When the only tool you have is a hammer,
everything looks like a nail"
milwjamie
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2004 08:26:17 PM »

Hey--
Yeah, Idigmusic, I have heard good things about that Waukesha goodwill, where exactly is it?! That's the huge one, right? And ravenheart--that one on greenfield was the best ever I do believe...Got my fave "it's better in the bahamas" tee there..Yeah totally don't understand what is up with the closing of the thrifts lately. You're right about the used bookstores too. Does anyone remember the one that used to be near Southgate on S. 27th probably 10 years back?!! That one was great. flyingfish- thanks for the heads up about the thrift in the strip mall, I think I know what one you're talking about? Is it across the street from a huge shoe store? Have not made it to the W.A. lately for anything. Did score some great Schlitz glasses earlier today though, they match my fave blatz glasses. But records was mainly a bust. Does anyone else have an obsession with old ad or sales recordings?? Or those Recordio discs?
--Jamie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose a Corset with Garters
How to Wear Garters
What Is a Straight Line Corset
How to Narrow Your Waist Using a Corset
How to Tie a Corset
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...