A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
371 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I've been purling wrong my whole life!  (Read 1002 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hipmama1970
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2005 01:11:05 PM »

I'm glad I'm not alone! I didn't realize this was so common... Yikes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen, homeschooling mom of 4
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2005 01:39:23 PM »

I've always had a handle on knit and purl, but it turns out I was doing my yarn overs wrong for a couple years.  I started to question what I was doing wrong on a baby blanket.  The alphabet was done in eyelets, and while it showed up, mine was not nearly as visible as the one in the picture.  I chalked it up to a good blocking and didn't worry anymore about it.  Then, I started working on a lacy shawl, and something (I can't remember what) wasn't working right.  I asked my Mom, and showed her what I was doing, and she said, "What are you doing?" 

Me:  "A yarn over."
Her:  "No.  You're not.  You're winding the yarn around the needle in some strange fashion."

I didn't believe her, so I went on the interent and asked on some forum, and, um, turns out Mom was right.  A YO, done correctly, is simply bringing the yarn forward.  I was looping it around in some strange way that I could show you, but I can't explain.  It made a YO, but it was twisted (I thought that was just the way YOs were!), and it wasn't as big a hole as it should have been. 

I ended up frogging the baby blanket, because it was so much better done correctly.  I haven't gotten back to it, yet.  I'm still bitter.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
crazycatladymel
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2005 07:18:25 AM »

This summer, I learned that I was purling wrong. I didn't notice it until a mitten that was supposed to be adult size was only child-size!

See the 2 pair side-by-side. The pink pair was purling wrong, the green pair was purling correctly. I happened to mention the size problem at the LYS where I got the yarn & pattern, and they watched me knit and purl, then showed me how to purl correctly. What a difference! And, I don't hate purling as much as I used to (no wonder).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Green man goat painting
How to Sculpt a Wolf Mask
Nikki Pennie Reveals Her Must-Have Jeans
Top 5 Fall Denim Trends
Can You Look Like a Star Everyday?
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...