A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
359 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: need instructions for multi-strand, "woven" necklace  (Read 1476 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kateh

I can't seem to peel my eyes off of Craftster...

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2005 08:34:48 PM »

hey beady ladies and gents...
okay, we've all seen 'em, necklaces made of clear fishing line with beads randomly strung onto multiple strands, each bead strung through 2 or 3 different strands, creating this webby, woven, fantastic piece of jewelry. they're everywhere and i know it must be the simplest pattern, but i need specifics....does anyone know what i am talking about? help a gal out.
thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Can't repliKate!
beatgirl77
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005 11:10:28 AM »

maybe if you find a picture it would help.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ruwena
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005 01:18:19 PM »

Bookmarks are broken so this is my bookmark  Wink I think I know what you are talking about so let me think a bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

janakisses

I live in my own little world, but you can visit!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005 06:43:23 PM »

I made this, the pattern is called Dream Weaving and I got it from the April 2004 issue of Bead & Button magazine.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=61334.0

You can look up the pattern at their website or maybe check your library for back issues?  The written instructions were kind of tedious to understand, but there was a picture that shows your weaving steps for all 10 strands.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006 12:24:04 PM »

You mean one of these?:

I made it last week.  If that's what you want, I'll post instructions.  I'm having visitors over today so I will have more time to explain it tomorrow.

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ruwena
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006 02:22:40 PM »

From your description this is what I imagined you were asking about. Is it?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

wokeupafraud
it's always you in my big dreams

andrew mcmahonnnnn <3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006 03:03:36 PM »

queenofdiy that necklace is so pretty would you mind posting directions?

my cousin just bought this necklace
http://www.claires.com/product.asp?name=prod&color=black&rcid=31&id=2237&scid=34

if thats what you were looking for i could take a close look at it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

so I guess we're back to us, oh cameraman
swing the focus. In case I lost my train of
thought, where was it that we last left off?
let's pick up, pick up

http://home.promosquad.com/referal.shtml?referer=_heartacheontv&band=62
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006 02:56:45 PM »

OK.... so, here we go with instructions...

The necklace has five strands of beads (more if you want!!) varying in size from seed beads (I chose the square tube beads cause they tended to "shine" or reflect the light better than seed beads) to 10mm beads.  Select a colour palette of either one, two or three colours with a variety of shapes, finishes and sizes.  I realised after finishing my necklace, that my necklace would have looked better if I had chosen a similar shade of beads - ie. chosen a dark coloured green rather than the light coloured green.  The necklace can be made either collarbone length, about 18 or 19 inches - which is the length I did or mid-chest length, about 26 inches.

Template
Firstly, you need to make a template.  For the collarbone length (18 inches), you need to cut a 5 1/2 inch diametre circle from foam board (if you have it.  If not, I just cut two from fairly thick cardboard and sandwiched two together with mounting tape).  You could also use a thick cardboard box.  This is then glued to a larger piece of cardboard.  Mark the top centre and bottom centre.  For the longer length cut a teardrop shape 9 3/4 inches long x 5 inches wide.  Here is a picture of my template:

Clasp
Tape a clasp to the top centre.  I used a toggle clasp but any clasp would work.  I also put a jump ring onto the clasp as the clasp hole was only quite small and two or three strands will need to pass through the hole of either the clasp or jump ring.  I used plain old fishing line but I guess you could use beading thread or Nymo.  If you choose to use thread, you would need to use a beading needle.  I used enough line to go round the template 5 times plus I would guess about another 18 inches.  Yes, I know that's long but I personally don't like having to attach thread in the middle of a project, but you can do so.  Start with a lark's head knot.  A lark's head knot is where you fold the end of the thread to form a loop.  Pass the loop through the clasp or jump ring, then thread the ends of the thread back through the loop and pull tight. 

Stringing
The first strand will lay the closest to the edge of the template.  String on a bead a little larger than a seed bead (just a nice way to end a strand) then string about 1 to 1 1/2 inches of seed beads.  String on a small contrasting bead.  Continue in this fashion (ie. 1 to 1 1/2 inches of sead bead then contrasting bead) but with the contrasting beads getting larger as you get towards the front of the necklace and getting smaller as you continue from the front to the back of the necklace.  When you get to the other side of the necklace, thread a small bead (like the bead on the other end), then thread through the other clasp end (or jump ring as the case may be) then thread back through the end bead.  Continue with the next strand.  String on about 1/2 inch of seed beads, a small contrasting bead, and 1/2 inch of seed beads (approx.) or enough to reach the first small bead on the first strand and take your thread through this first small bead on the first strand.  Continue doing strands and connecting them to the contrasting bead, again, gradually increasing the size of the "shared" or contrasting beads.  Make sure your most important beads are at the front.  Below is a close up of the back of the necklace:

There are 5 strands in total but below is a close up of where I threaded the 5th strand into the 4th strand to reduce bulk at the clasp:

Below is a closeup of the front.  You can do the front however you like but I liked the look of this:

And here is a picture of the finished necklace on the template:

It is a lot of work but trust me, it is easy and looks stunning.  I get lots of comments and looks when I wear it.  If you have any questions, please ask!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wrap a Box Shaped Gift
How to Gift Wrap a Circular Object
How to Do Cross Stitch Embroidery
How to Cross Stitch the Alphabet
How to Change a Needle Light
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...