A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,097
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Unconditional CD Swap Round II  (Read 7670 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

onesmallinstrument

I am your pamphleteer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2005 02:23:58 PM »

USERNAME: onesmallinstrument
PREFERED FORMAT (normal CD/mp3 CD/other please list): I'm okay with either, but probably normal CD
LIST YOUR 5 FAVOURITE BANDS:
This would be like asking me to pick which child is my favorite - if I had children that is.  At the moment, I'm listening to a lot of Andrew Bird, The Weakerthans, Wilco, Spoon, The Dismemberment Plan, stuff like that.

LIST THE TYPE OF MUSIC YOU WOULD LIKE TO RECIEVE:
I am very flexible when it comes to music, with the exceptions of modern country and post 1970s R&B.  I'm going through a singer/songwriter phase at the moment, but my musical roots are in indie rock and my parents were careful to inculcate me with a deep rooted affection for folk music while my brother-in-law has recently turned me on to underground hip hop.  I'm very interested in hearing different types of music, whatever are your favorites.  I'm also on a quest to find more rock bands that use stringed instruments in their music, so if you can point me in any good directions, I would be endlessly grateful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"How I don't know what I should do with my hands when I talk to you. How you don't know where you should look, so you look at my hands."
apandalee
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2005 02:40:48 PM »

USERNAME: apandalee
PREFERED FORMAT: normal CD please

FAVORITE BANDS:
I love any good music. With hip hop thats a good beat and lyrics. With anything else with vocals just someone with a great voice.

Examples :Kanye West, Jay-Z, everybody of the ROC pretty much Talib Kwali, Common, Mos Def, Floetry,  Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, Nina Simone, Etta James, Frank Sinatra, Al Green, The Temptations, basically all Motown, Maroon 5, Justin Timberlake (don't hate), musicals like Westside Story, Les Mis, Rent, etc..

WHAT I"D LIKE TO RECIEVE:
Some kind of theme CD:
A Workout/Party CD with great beats. It can be unknown or indie I'm open to it.
A Sleep/Chill CD: Whatever you sleep/chill to
Feel Good Oldies CD: Something that perks you up and makes you feel happy.

I love music. Thanks to anyone who shares theirs with me!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

classycrafter
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2005 07:51:17 AM »

Ok everyone we have a gallery! A couple people are ready to send any minute now, so here is the gallery link:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=66350.0

I cant wait to see everyones goodies!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

classycrafter
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2005 08:28:16 AM »

Ok you guys, I have a question......can anyone explain to me what Indie Rock is?? It may be a silly question but Ive heard a lot of people on craftster mention it and say they love it. I am not sure I have ever heard it. Thanks!  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

avantasia
SHOPAHOLIC

ich will nicht ins Paradies...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2005 08:52:27 AM »

I'm not sure what indie rock is either but maybe thats like.. independent rock? contrary to the bands that sign to major labels? ...
Heh anyway I'd like to know that, too. Wink
And I have NO idea what "emo" is. I'm not sure if this is used outside of America...  Lips sealed
Please enlighten us! Grin

I also have a silly question. Do people who are chosen, get to know that they have been chosen? If so, when?
 Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aschnebly
I'm AliceKathryn on Ravelry :)

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2005 09:13:57 AM »

I fear too, I am out of the loop when it comes to indie rock and emo--But I've always thought of/heard that EMO is kinda that whiny boy band rock even though they dress like they are punk?

Anyways... I am so excited that my cd burner should be fixed by the start of next week... sorry guys I haven't picked yet for this round, but I promise I will soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

avantasia
SHOPAHOLIC

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2005 09:27:40 AM »

For me it was much easier to pick last time. Sad Sad Sad I dont know like 98% percent of the bands mentioned by you people.. have to think of something though...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
classycrafter
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2005 09:32:10 AM »

I'm not sure what indie rock is either but maybe thats like.. independent rock? contrary to the bands that sign to major labels? ...
Heh anyway I'd like to know that, too. Wink
And I have NO idea what "emo" is. I'm not sure if this is used outside of America...  Lips sealed
Please enlighten us! Grin

I also have a silly question. Do people who are chosen, get to know that they have been chosen? If so, when?
 Embarrassed

I am happy that other people wonder this also!!  Cheesy

Yes, as soon as someone contacts me about sending you a cd, I pm you and say that you have been picked.

Just to let everyone know, I am sending out reminders a couple days prior to the day that you are to send your cd. I am doing this because I have been in a couple swaps recently were my partners have sent late and, unless there is an emergency, I dont like it. Especially in a swap like this where you get to choose at your own will. So, just to help everyone along I am sending the reminders. BUT, if you do send late I will be noting it in your feedback. Same goes if you send late but dont contact me to say you are sending late. Sorry, I hope this doesnt sound harsh but im just trying to stick to the swap rules and be fair to everyone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

avantasia
SHOPAHOLIC

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2005 09:45:43 AM »

I fear too, I am out of the loop when it comes to indie rock and emo--But I've always thought of/heard that EMO is kinda that whiny boy band rock even though they dress like they are punk?
hmm maybe I should edit my list and say that I'd like to get to know what emo and indie is Wink (wouldnt be a bad idea o.O and anyway how else should I get to know more of american music..^^)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onesmallinstrument

I am your pamphleteer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2005 09:54:01 AM »

Very, very simply put, indie rock refers primarily to bands that are signed to independent record labels instead of major record labels.  It's often seen as an alternative to "mainstream" rock, the stuff heard on the radio, for instance.  However, the line gets kind of blurred because when indie bands become really popular, Death Cab for Cutie for instance, they get signed to major labels so it's harder to distinguish what's what.

As far as emo...hmmmm.  That one's a little more complicated.  It was originally a form of emotive hardcore, which is where the title comes from, but essentially it's defined by its emotional vocals overlaid over various types of instrumentation.  Lately, though, it's become kind of synonymous with "whiny" bands.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"How I don't know what I should do with my hands when I talk to you. How you don't know where you should look, so you look at my hands."
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Rapunzel from Tangled
How to Draw Kate from Alpha and Omega
How to Draw Super-Girl
How to Draw Boo-Boo Bear from the Yogi Bear Show
How to Draw Santa
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation
Book Review: Handmade for Baby

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...