A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,713
Currently Running With Scissors:
564 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Looking for safety tips  (Read 1193 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lydiamc
« on: May 22, 2004 08:29:43 AM »

Hi,

I've been lurking here and reading for a while, but just recently registered to post.  I'm collecting some European and Eastern recipes, more specifically Old Worlde type recipes that consist of raw meats and/or blood.  This is for a renaissance-type-themed party for a friend, and I was silly enough to volunteer for help (a group of us are cooking together at once).

What I'm looking for is some safety tips or things to keep in mind when preparing raw foods and cooking with blood.  We're all getting together in a friend's restaurant next week, but to be honest, I don't think anyone knows how to prepare this kind of thing.  We found an old book of recipes with things like rabbit blood stews and that sort of thing. 

I can remember my scottish grammy making something called blood pudding, so my mom has emailed me the recipe and I'm trying my hand at that too.

Can anyone lend some wisdom to a culinary newbie?  Smiley

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ForevrBee
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2004 08:33:03 AM »

I would like to see that recipe for myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Damn the Man, Save the Empire!"
  ~Mark, Empire Records
lydiamc
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2004 08:24:28 PM »

Certainly!

It's also called Black pudding ... although it looks more like sausage than a pudding IMO.  *shrug*

~
Ingredients:

1 lb pig's liver
1 1/2 lb unrendered lard, chopped
120 fl pig's blood (or to taste)
2 lb breadcrumbs
4 oz oatmeal
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp allspice
1 beef casings

Directions:

Stew liver in boiling salted water until tender. Remove liver, and mince. Reserve cooking liquor. Mix all ingredients in large bowl.  Stir thoroughly until blended. Fill casings with mixture. Tie off in one-foot loops. Steam for 4-5 hours. Leave until cold. Cut into 1/2 inch slices and fry in hot fat on both sides until crisped.

~

My grandfather liked to eat this stuff before it was fried!  *ugh* 

My mom suggested I spice it up with things like Mint, Penny Royal, Sage, Coriander,Juniper, etc ... so I might go with mint or sage ...

Doing a little research this weekend, I've seen several variations to this recipe.  The Germans have a similar version called Blutwurst, and many Celts made this with Lamb instead of pork.  An Arcadian/Cajun version added hot peppers and called for a side of something sweet.

My gm was fond of gooseberries, so sometimes she would prepare a jam to serve on the side.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kayray
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2004 08:44:52 PM »

Oh my, um... yum!  ;-)

Well, it just reminds you that back in the olden days people didn't want to waste a single scrap of edible food.  You butcher a pig, you use everything or else maybe you starve. We have it SO easy today.

I think you just need to follow basic raw-meat cooking safety procedures...  Wash all utensils and cutting boards, etc,  in HOT soapy water after you using them.  Don't let anything that won't be cooked (salad, whatever) come in contact with the meat-prep stuff. Don't lick your fingers, lol. (as if!) Cook everything until it's definitely done. (meat thermometer?)  I'll bet the restaurant friend knows the safety rules.

"Blutwurst" translates to "Blood Sausage" by the way.

So... where does one purchase Pig's Blood?  Does Costco sell a family pack? ;-)

Good luck!  It sounds like a lot of fun. Let us know how it goes!

Kara
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://kayray.org/

Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how.
lydiamc
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2004 05:51:16 AM »

So... where does one purchase Pig's Blood?  Does Costco sell a family pack? ;-)

lol, yeah really.  I called one of our local grocery stores and talked to their Meat Department, and they're going to let me buy some pig's blood from them.  (I didn't think it would actually be that easy ... I would think that no one in their right mind would actually WANT to buy blood *shiver*  lol).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
faux

My mama's a lama...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004 03:06:36 PM »

Wow sounds fun!  ;-D  I just had a quick question that kinda goes along with this.  What do you substitute for lard??  I have an old family cook book that has lots of recipes (even cookies) that call for this and I was wondering if there's a slightly healthier more convenient thing to use.     
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Eggs Benedict and Lox
How to Make a Traditional Roast Beef Po Boy
Chef Makes Classic Burger with Special Sauce
Mikey Likes It!
John Besh’s Grandmother’s Fried Chicken
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...