A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,668
Currently Running With Scissors:
589 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Turn my classroom into a Rain Forest!  (Read 3187 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkclara
« on: May 22, 2004 06:02:00 AM »

I'm a first grade teacher in the Bronx...and I've reached the point in the year where I'm yanking down all of our academic charts and work from the walls, and attempting to turn my room into something that feels like the Rain Forest, using mostly kids' art.  We're doing research projects about animals and resources, too.
so far we have crepe paper vines, big 3-d paper trees, tissue paper/clay hummingbirds, bean plants...but I'd like some new ideas!  Fun and easy craft projects that I can do with my kids for this.
Any ideas or links that I can use?
Thanks Smiley I'll post a picture when I'm done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
simply
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2004 06:29:31 AM »

http://arthur.k12.il.us/arthurgs/rainfles.htm

http://expage.com/4rainforests

http://www.bobsedulinks.com/lpscience.htm (not much on the actual rainforest, but a whole lot of crafts you could maybe make relate to it.)

http://www.perpetualpreschool.com/preschool_themes/rainforest/rainforest_art.htm

if you have a military surplus store near you, they sometimes sell a camoflage webbing, and if you hang it across the ceiling it would look like your under a canopy.  a neat way to do water is crumpled aluminum foil with a blue celophane/plastic wrap layered lightly over it (but those are more for you to do than them).  the magic school bus did a lesson on the rainforest that could be useful.   hope some of this helps  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RachOfTheJungle
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2004 06:56:15 AM »

OOO OOO How cool! You asked the right person! ;-)

When I was in middle school, I painted my room like a rainforest. Here are some pics. I don't know if you'd be allowed to paint, but it would be a fun thing to get everyone to contribute!

Even if you could just paint one wall... or if you have one of those large corkboards or a flat space you could buy something to cover the walls and then paint if you were so inclined.

Here's pics of my room if you want some ideas. Sorry, I made these 6 years ago and my skill has improved since then ;-D

Also for my room, I strung these butterflies I found (cheap @ Michael's) from the ceiling with fishing wire to make it look like they were floating around. Even better, you could have the kids each make a butterfly or other insect of their choice, or perhaps a bird.

You could get a few houseplants, they really add to the feel.

I'm sure you can come up with more! Just a few suggestions :-D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rockin' knitting shirts I designed:

http://www.cafepress.com/stitchnsnitch
SarahFroggy
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2004 07:00:28 AM »

RachOfTheJungle

OMG. that room is amazing. why are you saying sorry for your skills then?...wow!!! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artzyfartzy
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2004 07:25:16 AM »

RachOfTheJungle;

That room is DYNOMITE!!!!!!!!! I love it!  wow..ur so talented!!! I have a question - did you use all wall paint ?  All those colors?  It must of cost a fortune!!?

GREAT job!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RachOfTheJungle
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2004 07:30:27 AM »

Actually, I used acryilic paints. They are inexpensive, easy to work with, don't stink, dry fast, and they cover the walls really well, and the colors stay true.

I am not sure how much I spent on paints, it's hard to say because I used some paints that I already had. 50 bucks max.

It's so fun to put murals on your walls, I reccomend it to anyone. And people LOVE it! I've done a few other murals, I should have a website up within the next few days if you guys were thinking of doing murals, I'll probably start a thread about them if you're interested.

Thanks for the compliments, you guys are making me blush :-D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rockin' knitting shirts I designed:

http://www.cafepress.com/stitchnsnitch
pinkclara
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004 12:38:02 PM »

Thanks for all the ideas!!
We have big rolls of butcher paper up in the supply room...I think I'll just unroll a huge sheet one day and let the kids get messy doing a rainforest mural...I wish we could paint the walls of our classroom!
RachOfTheJungle, your room looks amazing...you don't happen to live in NYC and want to come paint big murals with my kids, right? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wasabipeasrule

Nuffin' but muffins

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2004 01:49:38 PM »

rachofthejungle, you are my best friend. lol... your room ROCKS!

Anyway, to the person that started this thread, you should totally have the kids make rainsticks. All you need is one of those long cardboard tubes. Tape cardboard at one end, and fill it with rice. If you want, you can use something to make the rice fall slower, like pressing nails into the tube. Then seal the other end of the tube. When you slowly tip it, it sounds really cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Um, hi everyone, I'm sarah, and I'm a craftaholic...
Goddess
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2004 01:56:52 PM »

that room is SO COOL! pinkclara, I am hoping you can create something like that for your kids....what an awesome environment to learn it Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tracey
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2004 02:31:33 PM »

http://www.abcteach.com/RainforestFacts/crafts1.htm

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love your ememies..... It will drive them nuts!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Accessorize Your Hair For a Fun Summer Look
How to Create Your Own Prom Up-Do
Blake Lively Inspired Hair Tutorial
Learn How to Add Texture to Your Hair
Get a Modern Take on Veronica Lake Waves
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...