A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
394 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I want to encase the whole world in resin....  (Read 4075 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nilla_bean

www.atelierwoodenapples.com

View Profile WWW
« on: November 17, 2005 04:53:19 PM »

...but I'll start small. This is what's know as "The Namesake Necklace" for my soon to be website Snapped Twig. As you can see it is indeed a snapped twig suspended in resin. I was really happy with how this turned out and I can't wait to make a bunch more.
 Thanks so much, I look forward to any comments, xoxoxo Amy

« Last Edit: September 21, 2010 01:37:30 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

poppysmum

Mei has arrived! Pic ASAP...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005 05:54:24 PM »

Go now! Encase! Encase! Kiss

*Edit* I just went to your web site & it's making me cry! (in a good "I have to have that now!" kinda way) The 'Sweet Pea Necklace' is to die for!  Shocked
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005 05:58:15 PM by poppysmum » THIS ROCKS   Logged
archer*of*loaf
Lip them

Audiowhore, sucking on sound

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005 05:55:48 PM »

I agree!  Keep going with this idea.  Fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And hoping for an early death you swam so far you lost your breath, and struggling in the ebb and flow I took your hand, but you let go...
And now the ocean fills your lungs, and now you've got what you had come for, resting peaceful as you sink to drown under a sea of strangers.

-E. Bachmann
nilla_bean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005 07:05:11 PM »

Wow thank you so much for the encouragement I really appreciate your kind words. The site should be up soon but as you can  see I have a bit of crafting left to do. xoxoxo Amy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SillyLittleSquirrels

Coco says: Adopt a dog from your local shelter!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005 07:10:16 PM »

Shocked I need that scarf!!! Your site rocks btw! I love the simplicity of it, yet it's so intriguing and eye catching. *thumbs up*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And those seen dancing were thought insane by those that could not hear the music. ~Nietzsche
nilla_bean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005 08:34:57 PM »

Thank you! I just made the scarf the other night, I plan on making some more similar ones soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FIFI

It's useful being top banana in the shock dept.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005 03:56:12 AM »

I am so impressed - sent the link to your site to two friends ("non craftsters" at this point, but I am  hopeful) and have put it in my favorites! Good job and good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CosmicCranberry
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005 04:03:18 AM »

wow...that rox
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bipolar_express
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005 11:20:55 AM »

I love your website. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
archer*of*loaf
Lip them

Audiowhore, sucking on sound

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005 11:58:15 AM »

What sort of process do you go through to cast the resin?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And hoping for an early death you swam so far you lost your breath, and struggling in the ebb and flow I took your hand, but you let go...
And now the ocean fills your lungs, and now you've got what you had come for, resting peaceful as you sink to drown under a sea of strangers.

-E. Bachmann
Rylizbeth

I don't remember...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2005 12:56:03 PM »

I love this. Simple and beautiful. Ypur site looks good too, very cool.
Great stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ChloeZ

this is why graffitti rocks

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2005 01:09:55 PM »

I say go for it and put it on your website so I can buy it for all my relatives for Christmas!! I like the resin pieces the best and the scarf is super cool too.

Have you thought about doing resin bracelets or rings? That could be super fun.

(ps. this is my first post)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.knitmoi.blogspot.com

I really really really would love to have Interweave Knits Spring 2007 for those Eunny Chang entrelac socks. . . Does anyone want to swap for it?! I have yarn, I can sew, embroider, knit.
nilla_bean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2005 04:46:18 PM »

Wowee Zowee so many nice responses today. I'm so glad everyone likes the necklace and the site. I am trying very hard to get the website up soon for Holiday shoppers and all. I'm very encouraged by all of you, thank you so much!!! xoxoxo Amy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nilla_bean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2005 04:51:40 PM »

Also I wanted to add that we can see by looking at the stats that lots of you are checking out the Shapes and Sizes website from Snapped Twig's links. Which is a great band that features my lovely boyfriend and my talented friend Caila who will also be making some beautiful things for the website. They will be touring the States in February and March so if they're coming to your city come say hi! Okay thanks again, Amy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tamagotchi
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2005 07:59:00 PM »

your stuff is beautiful!  I agree with the above posters, you really have your own style which is very unique and elegant.  the only suggestion I would have is to maybe make some smaller resin pendants?  otherwise, I love!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry username = tamagotchi
bubbledragon
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2005 06:43:12 AM »

I've played with resin before, but I always have one problem:  how do you shine or buff up the surface when you're done?  It's always just a very tiny bit sticky for me as well (unless I let it dry for months and months - and by then I've surely poked at it and left fingerprints.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thevaticant

I'm cold. And my legs hurt.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2005 06:57:26 AM »

wow all your stuff is so pretty!
i especially like the one big necklace with the flowers in it... its all so darn CUTE.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ask not what your rest home can do for you, but what you can do for your rest home.
nilla_bean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2005 11:00:14 AM »

Bubbledragon: resin is pretty touchy.My last batch looked beautiful but refused to dry completely so I had to scrap it. If it won't set it's usually because A you didn't mix it long enough or B it wasn't measured exactly, if there's not enough hardener it won't set. I'm still learning myself.
Thank you everyone, I'm planning on making a few smaller round ones today... including a crafty themed one. Thank you again for all your feedback. You are all so sweet. xoxoxo amy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

likalika

"Life is what you make it...make it gorgeous"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2005 04:24:16 PM »

I like the  clean lines of your site.   As a jewelry maker and wholesaler who used to sell on the web, it really is important that you give as much detail about your pieces as you can.  Since the customer can't touch it, feel it, try it on, they need lots of written information.

For instance...lengths of necklaces.  Saying that it hits the collarbone doesn't really say anything.  I may wear a 16", my scrawny necked friend wears a 14" and my sister wears an 18".  They all hit our collarbones.  So even though you have pics of you (?) wearing them, lengths is essential.

In your snapped twig pendant, it might be nice to name the tree that the twig came from.  Also, it seems a bit off balance with the chain, and the seemingly big, thick, "chunk o'resin".  You might want to also tell how big that piece is.  Again, it will give the customer information that they want to know.

Similarly, your sweetpea pendant.  How big is it?  It looks big, and customers will want to know.  Again, sometimes things look "too big" but when you say it's 2 inches across, the customer can get a ruler and say "oh, it's smaller than it looks in the picture".

Ditto on the clothing...what are the waist and hip measurements for your clothes?  Medium can mean a thousand (well, a bunch of ) different sizes.  I wear a medium, but I also wear a small and a large depending on who makes it.

Finally, there are a couple of typos and/or grammar errors.
 1. ....collective of girls... WHO (not that) really like...."
 2. Origami, not oragami
 3. different not diffrent

I love the work...you have the patience of a saint to "do" resin.  The snapped twig and sweepeas are both ingenious ideas...carry on...Fabu!!!.

Lika
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When life hands you lemons, stick them down your blouse and make 
 your boobs look bigger."
nilla_bean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2005 06:37:34 PM »

Thank you for your reply I appreciate your input. The site is not quite done so there's still lots of room for change. I will update the site to have exact measurements of the jewelry and clothing. I hope not everyone thinks it looks like a big hunk o resin but it's good to have you opinion. I made up a few smaller pieces today for people who might like a more dainty style of necklace and also a ring, that I'm quite happy with, but they haven't set yet. Thank you again it's great to have a response from someone who has experience with this, I'm still trying to figure this web stuff out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SillyLittleSquirrels

Coco says: Adopt a dog from your local shelter!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2005 07:03:17 PM »

I just went back to your site. Hehe!

How long will it take to recieve my order?
it willtake a jdfkl jk fsd fsd bfa bf fsda f s fd.

*is giggling to hard that it means I'm hyper*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And those seen dancing were thought insane by those that could not hear the music. ~Nietzsche
nilla_bean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2005 07:11:31 PM »

hee hee my friend Ali who made my site put that in as filler. Of course that will be changed before the site goes live... but I'm glad it could cause you to giggle until then.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CaptainRiley
Dirty Pirate

Methinks it is like a woozle.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2005 07:03:05 AM »

Wow.  What did you use for a mold on that one?

I've been hunting for an ice cube tray or candy mold with a rectangular footprint that would work well for casting pictures and just can't find anything.  Bah and arg.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nilla_bean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2005 03:58:16 PM »

Check art supply stores for painting pallets they work really well. I found one with large and small circles as well as rectangular ones. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happychick
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2005 08:46:07 AM »

I LOVE the button neclace!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

greengirlak
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2005 09:20:09 AM »

I think your site is gorgeous and I, too, am in LOVE with the sweat pea necklace.  Please please make more of them so I can buy one for myself after the holidays!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nilla_bean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2005 05:35:14 PM »

Sorry I haven't checked this in a few days. Thank you everyone again for your positive feedback! I really appreciate it, it warms my little heart to know people like the site and everything.  It's a few steps closer to being completed. Some new things will be added tonight! Hurray! xoxoxo Amy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spurtiic
Jennorific

I made BEST OF 2007 for my frozen bird nest pic!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2005 11:26:43 PM »

Wow...very neat!
I like your website, too.  I just spent 10 minutes e-mailing a bunch of people the link  Cheesy  I love, love, love!! the button/thread necklace... especially the seed bead chain thingy (I'm so good with vocab).
Very nice!

Also, that tree scarf--that was awesome.  Make more! ha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
nilla_bean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2005 02:55:24 PM »

Thank you so much for sending out my link. People power! I am planning on making some more scarves, maybe some for spring as well. (Wishful warm weather thinking). I'm glad people seem to like things. I wasn't expecting to sell anything so quickly because I wasn't really up in time for Christmas so it's been a nice surprise. Thank you again.

Hey just to put it out there what do you guys think of a 'keepsake necklace' where people could send me something small that's special to them and I could make a resin necklace maybe the same size as the button necklace and also a smaller option. Do you think this would be popular?

xoxo Amy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Harold Bloom on Shakespeare, Strangeness, and Meaning
Aaron Sorkin Shares His Writing Process
"Does This Baby Make Me Look Straight?" Author Interview
Historian Barry Strauss Discusses the 5 Stages of War
Harold Bloom on Why There Is No Walt Whitman Stamp
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...